• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Whats up with the 'Sladder Climbing system"?

I have every climbing method known to saddle hunters and arborists alike. My range of equipment extends from screw in spikes from 35 years ago to the Sladder and everything in between. I can climb with them all, some just more efficiently and lighter than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a little report on my initial experience with the sladder. I'm 5'11" and bought the 8' length but the 7' would probably have worked too. First time out I was a bit disappointed because I had made two mistakes. First was wearing shoes that were too lightweight (Merrells). Second I was keeping my lineman's belt too close to the tree. This prevented me from from getting my foot into the 2nd step from the top of the aider. This was my biggest mistake. Initially I was frustrated but decided to give it another try today with good boots and a loosening up my lineman's belt. These adjustments did the trick and I found myself climbing like in the videos. My climbing proficiency level increased dramatically from the first time out. This system definitely has potential it's really lightweight and compact. I've got some SRT gear coming soon and really enjoy trying all these different methods of climbing.

I found it much harder than he does. Tried to send it back. He won’t take it except at a very reduced refund price.

I found it much harder than he does. Tried to send it back. He won’t take it except at a very reduced refund price.
So what is the gently used return discount I have to beat?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

The recommendation is based on user height, but it sounds like the extra slack of the 8ft is usually preferable.

Yup I read that. Just wondered how hard it is to skip that last step for a 66 year old - 28 inches instead of 24. I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So what is the better slander. Seven or eight foot one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
It is based off of height, and I would recommend buying the listed one for your height! I was going to buy the shorter one based off of weight and anticipated "usable" length and I'm glad he talked me into the recommend 8' (for my height) length version.

My son made a DIY one from amsteel. Today, we compared several different methods like 2TC, one-sticking, and rope steps. I really liked the sladder type method after almost completely giving up on it. What made it a lot simpler for me was leaning back with my arms pulling on it to pull it away from the tree. This gave alot more room for my feet. I hated it before that and thought it wasn't going to work. I like it so much, I will probably buy the official one and use it almost exclusively.

My son made a DIY one from amsteel. Today, we compared several different methods like 2TC, one-sticking, and rope steps. I really liked the sladder type method after almost completely giving up on it. What made it a lot simpler for me was leaning back with my arms pulling on it to pull it away from the tree. This gave alot more room for my feet. I hated it before that and thought it wasn't going to work. I like it so much, I will probably buy the official one and use it almost exclusively.
Yes, and constant LB adjustment and readjustment. Once you get used to it.

Just a little report on my initial experience with the sladder. I'm 5'11" and bought the 8' length but the 7' would probably have worked too. First time out I was a bit disappointed because I had made two mistakes. First was wearing shoes that were too lightweight (Merrells). Second I was keeping my lineman's belt too close to the tree. This prevented me from from getting my foot into the 2nd step from the top of the aider. This was my biggest mistake. Initially I was frustrated but decided to give it another try today with good boots and a loosening up my lineman's belt. These adjustments did the trick and I found myself climbing like in the videos. My climbing proficiency level increased dramatically from the first time out. This system definitely has potential it's really lightweight and compact. I've got some SRT gear coming soon and really enjoy trying all these different methods of climbing.
now if you needed to can you replace the amsteel daisy chain? is it just girth hitched to to the setup?

Back