• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why don't yall 2TC?

So I got my 2TC kit today from Jerry @always89y and it is very good quality. I did 2 climbs with it so far, probably around 10 foot.

Some things right off the bat for me was that the strap on the foot loop that is for holding it on your foot had to go after the first climb. I took my foot out each move so it is more of a hindrance if you use it that way. I guess it would help if you keep your foot in the whole time. I also did not use the other foot loop for a thigh band. I think it would have to be a pretty big tree before I messed with it.

I also did not like climbing with my rappel rope and madrock Safeguard. The safeguard banged off the tree and the canyon elite rope falls down pretty easy. Some of this is probably I need a lot of experience.

But, I switched to a HSS tether I had laying around for the second climb and it seemed to do better in this regard of falling down. The rappel rope is doable for sure but I fought with it more. I am now contemplating whether rappelling at all. The 2TC method is easy enough to come down. It would probably be easier to rappel if you had a lot of limbs to navigate on the way down.

I used a prussic on the main tether for the second climb. I want to use something else or some other knot that is easily adjustable and I can tend easily. This is where I did like the madrock because I could easily take slack out or give my self some. Again, probably a technique and experience thing.

All and all I actually like it and am looking forward to practicing more and getting the details down.
If you want to use the rappel rope for climbing, you might want to learn the running JRB hitch. You wont have the rope falling problems and at the end of the hunt you can remote release it, so no issues with a hung up rope.

So I got my 2TC kit today from Jerry @always89y and it is very good quality. I did 2 climbs with it so far, probably around 10 foot.

Some things right off the bat for me was that the strap on the foot loop that is for holding it on your foot had to go after the first climb. I took my foot out each move so it is more of a hindrance if you use it that way. I guess it would help if you keep your foot in the whole time. I also did not use the other foot loop for a thigh band. I think it would have to be a pretty big tree before I messed with it.

I also did not like climbing with my rappel rope and madrock Safeguard. The safeguard banged off the tree and the canyon elite rope falls down pretty easy. Some of this is probably I need a lot of experience.

But, I switched to a HSS tether I had laying around for the second climb and it seemed to do better in this regard of falling down. The rappel rope is doable for sure but I fought with it more. I am now contemplating whether rappelling at all. The 2TC method is easy enough to come down. It would probably be easier to rappel if you had a lot of limbs to navigate on the way down.

I used a prussic on the main tether for the second climb. I want to use something else or some other knot that is easily adjustable and I can tend easily. This is where I did like the madrock because I could easily take slack out or give my self some. Again, probably a technique and experience thing.

All and all I actually like it and am looking forward to practicing more and getting the details down.
Soft stitch hitch is really great. So are some of the JRB hitches

So I think it is more my technique (or lack of). I just went and did a couple more climbs. I slowed down and things went a lot better. The rappel rope and safeguard is going to work just fine. I also think once I get my tether handles/hooks that will help a little bit with moving the main tether up.

After I climbed a couple times I went and got my one stick to try. Keep in mind, I haven’t done either of these methods or hunted out of a saddle for that matter. I did one move with the one stick and went back down and got the 2TC setup. I did not feel as comfortable with the one stick.

I guess it is “2TC or die.” @tailgunner LOL

One stick on the ground.

IMG_5257.jpeg

So I think it is more my technique (or lack of). I just went and did a couple more climbs. I slowed down and things went a lot better. The rappel rope and safeguard is going to work just fine. I also think once I get my tether handles/hooks that will help a little bit with moving the main tether up.

After I climbed a couple times I went and got my one stick to try. Keep in mind, I haven’t done either of these methods or hunted out of a saddle for that matter. I did one move with the one stick and went back down and got the 2TC setup. I did not feel as comfortable with the one stick.

I guess it is “2TC or die.” @tailgunner LOL

One stick on the ground.

View attachment 101770
Certainly with 2TC slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Don’t get in a hurry and enjoy the climb.

Well, this is the second time I tried 2TC And I’m having issues can’t seem to get myself up i advance with the one foot and can’t advance the tether just don’t feel right. Looks so easy on video.Not going to to give up on it but I think I might have to try SRT or get some sticks

My first 2 climbs were frustrating, my 3rd climb was really good and my 4th and 5th were somewhere in between. When I started one sticking it was similar in that I started practicing in the spring and by September I was pretty comfortable.

My first 2 climbs were frustrating, my 3rd climb was really good and my 4th and 5th were somewhere in between. When I started one sticking it was similar in that I started practicing in the spring and by September I was pretty comfortable.
I think I would do better one sticking for some reason maybe. I am using 8 mm oplux or resteck the bark is kind of grippy maybe get a thicker rope with different sheathing like canyon elite which haven’t tried that yet.so my problem is getting to advance my tether seems like my first stem and grabbing the tether to pull up seams like I don’t have enough rope to grab. Seams like I am going to pull on my prusik .plus the foot loop I have from CGM the webbing foot loop does not work for me I feel I need just a loop not what I got but it is definitely a nice product.

I think I would do better one sticking for some reason maybe. I am using 8 mm oplux or resteck the bark is kind of grippy maybe get a thicker rope with different sheathing like canyon elite which haven’t tried that yet.so my problem is getting to advance my tether seems like my first stem and grabbing the tether to pull up seams like I don’t have enough rope to grab. Seams like I am going to pull on my prusik .plus the foot loop I have from CGM the webbing foot loop does not work for me I feel I need just a loop not what I got but it is definitely a nice product.

How far is you Prussic from where your tether hitches around tree? Sounds like maybe an adjustment is needed? Also, how far are you trying to advance it?

They’re pretty close. I take my tether as high as I could reach. and then take my foot tether I’d say about 2 feet maybe under my tether. I know I have to mess with it a little more so how do you set my bridge low? Or should I have my bridge high? Maybe that’s the problem, maybe I’m not in the shape to do this method I know I have to keep trying I’m sure I’ll figure it out

Now keep in mind I just started and need to do some adjustments myself. With that being said, I run my bridge short. 8” or so?

I put my first or main tether above my head on the tree. The foot tether goes about 12-14” below that. I adjust my foot loop to where I have to take a step up into it.

When I step up into the foot loop The main tether is about face level and I can love it up about a foot. I sit down and take my foot out and move the foot tether up about the same distance below the main tether as I started. Rinse and repeat.

Why don't I? Standing on one foot with my leg wrapped around the tree does not work well for me. I have no balance.
View attachment 101777
For me I found one of the keys was to shorten the length of the foot tether from where it girth hitched around the tree down to the foot loop. Sorter was certainly more stable. Also, have to dig the toe in to the tree, not just but the toe up against the tree.

They’re pretty close. I take my tether as high as I could reach. and then take my foot tether I’d say about 2 feet maybe under my tether. I know I have to mess with it a little more so how do you set my bridge low? Or should I have my bridge high? Maybe that’s the problem, maybe I’m not in the shape to do this method I know I have to keep trying I’m sure I’ll figure it out
For 1-stick climbing I’ll move the tether as high as possible. For 2TC I will only put it up to about my forehead. Any higher and it just seems harder. My foot tether starts out around my waist when I’m standing in it then moves up about a foot under the main tether.

I like a short bridge for 2TC, I'll lengthen it once I get to height. I don't have any numbers for how far about to run your tethers, and biomechanics will change those numbers for you anyway, but I start with my top tether about the same height as I would when hanging at height, forehead height for me. Then I run my hitch as high as I can to get the saddle to support my weight when sitting. I position my foot loop as close to the girth hitch on the lower tether as I can and set it so it's about knee height, you may want to go a little lower than that to start. I use my left foot in the foot loop, grab the top tether with my right hand and use my left hand and right leg to wrap the tree as I step up and find my balance point. Then advance the top tether as high as I can without adjusting the hitch and repeat. After a few moves you probably want to advance your hitch and foot loop as the tree diameter shrinks. For a beginner I think making two moves up and coming back down is the way to go, then reset everything and make any small adjustments to fit your style/ability/comfort etc.

As far as being in shape is concerned, flexibility will pay the most dividends for 2TC. If the climb itself is a workout for you then keep your climbs short and low and do more of them, by September you will be ready to go if you make a couple climbs a week.

so I found to be frustrating trying to advance my foot tether. I can't take my foot out and back in easily. I am using my workboots I'm sure it will be worse with hunting boots.
I like a short bridge for 2TC, I'll lengthen it once I get to height. I don't have any numbers for how far about to run your tethers, and biomechanics will change those numbers for you anyway, but I start with my top tether about the same height as I would when hanging at height, forehead height for me. Then I run my hitch as high as I can to get the saddle to support my weight when sitting. I position my foot loop as close to the girth hitch on the lower tether as I can and set it so it's about knee height, you may want to go a little lower than that to start. I use my left foot in the foot loop, grab the top tether with my right hand and use my left hand and right leg to wrap the tree as I step up and find my balance point. Then advance the top tether as high as I can without adjusting the hitch and repeat. After a few moves you probably want to advance your hitch and foot loop as the tree diameter shrinks. For a beginner I think making two moves up and coming back down is the way to go, then reset everything and make any small adjustments to fit your style/ability/comfort etc.

As far as being in shape is concerned, flexibility will pay the most dividends for 2TC. If the climb itself is a workout for you then keep your climbs short and low and do more of them, by September you will be ready to go if you make a couple climbs a week.
My part of the problem is the foot loop hard to get my foot back in

so I found to be frustrating trying to advance my foot tether. I can't take my foot out and back in easily. I am using my workboots I'm sure it will be worse with hunting boots.

Do you still have the strap connected to the foot loop that is for securing your foot in? I pulled that completely out and it helped with that. Also, mine sort of flared open on one side and I make sure that side is facing me.

I had @always89y make me this foot loop using stiff plastic in the bottom and up the sides that is chemically bonded to titanium using a patent pending chemical welding process, :).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230824_132424_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230824_132424_Gallery.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 37

Are you using the CGM footloop or running a blake's hitch in your tether or something else? I use a blake's hitch and have a piece of garden hose that is about an inch wider than my boot to keep the loop open.

Back