• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

scouting

1. Sziggy2.0

Scrape soil, does it matter?

I was scouting today in some river bottom that has seen flooding in 2012 and 2019. I have not really hunted in this type of terrain before. I usually hunt more hill country or typical Midwest farm type areas. There are large areas that obviously had been flooded and the soils in these areas...
  2. J

SOLD: Hunting Beast Scouting DVD set

All (4) Hunting Beast Scouting DVDs: -Marsh Bedding -Swamp Bedding -Hill Country Bedding -Farm Country Bedding SOLD
  3. Jtaylor

Last Minute Scouting

So as everyone probably knows, scouting two weeks before season isn't ideal. With family commitments, work, school, etc. before you know it you're 2 weeks or a month out and haven't checked out the hot spots yet. I still don't believe all is lost. I just wanted to start this thread for anyone...
  4. DelaWhere_Arrow

Will you be in a tree opening day?

With some seasons opening this week, I’m just curious who will be up in a specific tree or in a specific area, and who does what I do for the first few days of season, which is basically scouting with my bow. If I see hot sign or bump deer, I might set up on the ground or one/two sticks high...
  5. DelaWhere_Arrow

OnX color-coding options

One of my favorite things about OnX is their color-coding options for scouting tools. So far, I’ve really only used red and blue, but I’m trying to decide on a minimalist palette for different sign or terrain features. For example, all “deer sign” right now is in red waypoints, all no-hunt zones...
  6. DelaWhere_Arrow

Mapping Whitetails Series

I’m sure lots of y’all already subscribe to The Hunting Public on YT, but if you aren’t or haven’t seen these yet, they’re doing a second “Mapping Whitetails w/ OnX” series for 2019. In 2018, they did a series focusing on how e-scouting meets field-scouting; this year, they are focusing on the...
Back