• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1sticking

Robert loper

SH Member
Sep 19, 2017
NJ
YOUTUBE
TheBuckPsych
Wondering for next year if Im to old and to fat for one sticking?
honestly im quite round but im pretty strong.
I would only be saving the weight of two sticks.
ummertime heat during early season. would be the only time i would probably have trouble.
Whats everyones thoughts?
could i?
Or stick with the 3 sticks and platform.

bodark

SH Member
Aug 16, 2020
Arkansas
No offense…but old and fat don’t pair well with one-sticking. It’s one of the more dangerous things legitimately promoted on this forum that has somehow become normalized to a point nobody balks.

Just stick with three sticks.

Robert loper

SH Member
Sep 19, 2017
NJ
YOUTUBE
TheBuckPsych
No offense…but old and fat don’t pair well with one-sticking. It’s one of the more dangerous things legitimately promoted on this forum that has somehow become normalized to a point nobody balks.

none taken Im happy and know who I am lol after watching several videos im leaning torwards the 3 sticks to:tongueclosed:

Horn

SH Member
Mar 8, 2022

I hate to be disagreeable but nutter and Kyle just made a point to pick on old and fat people.

Not picking on you Rob!

I say try it in springtime! It's a long ways from perfect. And it's definitely work but it's got a place in climbing. I do trust you're aware of the risks.

Maybe look at no-sticking too. Look at aiders, also not perfect but sometimes they're the ticket

bodark

SH Member
Aug 16, 2020
Arkansas
none taken Im happy and know who I am lol after watching several videos im leaning torwards the 3 sticks to:tongueclosed:

Lol I gave it an honest shake last summer and decided after one trip up the tree it wasn’t for me! You’ll get guys that love it but swinging on a 3 or 5 step aider in the dark and trying to push myself out from the tree and bend down to grab the stick…not for me. Not to mention every time you pull the rope from the jaws of the can cleat it makes a God awful clank as the jaws shut.

Robert loper

SH Member
Sep 19, 2017
NJ
YOUTUBE
TheBuckPsych
I hate to be disagreeable but nutter and Kyle just made a point to pick on old and fat people.

Not picking on you Rob!

I say try it in springtime! It's a long ways from perfect. And it's definitely work but it's got a place in climbing. I do trust you're aware of the risks.

Maybe look at no-sticking too. Look at aiders, also not perfect but sometimes they're the ticket
No man you good. I love constructive criticism. We all need it sometimes lol.
thanks my brotha.
i have aiders and love them. Did away with the 4 th stick.
id like to get down to two sticks by next year.
Theres no reason in my areas i cant use two double aiders with 2 sticks

jcassell207

Oct 26, 2021

most dangerous??? i’d love to know how one stick vs 3 stick vs climbing in a ladder stand with no harness?

can we agree, anytime you leave the ground is dangerous….doesn’t matter how

Horn

SH Member
Mar 8, 2022
I use a cam strap with my x- wing or daisy chain on a stick. Excellent info that those jaws are noisy!

Wanted to add- no-stick does have one advantage over a stick. You can stand up on a platform BUT it's harder to transition onto a platform... I use an x- wing. It helps. I also like my feet closer to the tree for hanging/ hunting

Reactions: Robert loper

John 35

May 19, 2021
In my admittedly limited experience it depends on the types of trees you want to climb. Do a YouTube search on one sticking and compare the trees chosen for those videos to the ones you’ll be hunting in.

jonkytron

Feb 24, 2022
Rhode Island
i just started one sticking this year, and to be honest, I think it is very easy and safe (on the right tree). slanted trees, and trees with a lot of limbs are not as easy.. however.. what I would recommend for the older and more.. heavier.. is to use three sticks with a rappel rope.. Rappelling really makes getting down from the tree so much easier. if I was older and heavier, there is no other way I would rather come down from a tree than with a rappel rope. What you could do is one stick the first two movements, 10-12 feet or so, and then use a second or third stick for your final movement. See how that feels, and if youre good with that, one stick the whole way up!

jonkytron

Feb 24, 2022
Rhode Island
Also, I have to say.. before I made the switch from a portable tree stand to a saddle, I thought saddle hunting was way too hard and dangerous. And now that I’m doing it, I would never go back. I felt the same way about one sticking, and now I will never go back.. The thing about one sticking is you just need to practice so the movements are fluid. I’m really not using any energy at all when I go up, and as long as I take my time and do the movements I practiced, I feel very safe, limited energy used, and much faster and less noisy than 3-4 sticks

Robert loper

SH Member
Sep 19, 2017
NJ
YOUTUBE
TheBuckPsych
Should you decide to give it a try let me know. I see your name here enough And I’ve watched your YouTube’s enough to feel you’re a trustworthy enough guy so I’ll mail you mine in the next offseason
Dam bro. I appreciate that man.
thnks so much and i will let you know.

Dmathews87

Aug 30, 2022
SE Louisiana
even as a younger thin guy im thinking im going majority back to sticks and a platform....but...im still gonna rappel and im going to use 2 full sticks and a 18'' stick that has a scout platform as top step. I feel this is the best setup for me...still super light weight and can still use the 'one stick' method if i feel i need to go higher with that top stick

Still Kicking

SH Member
Jul 22, 2020
Central Illinois
I use 4 sticks with a 3 step aider on the bottom one to hang presets. I just find it more hassle free than a throw line. It's pretty brushy where I hunt and can't tell you how many times I have made more noise and commotion trying to get a line over a limb without tangling up in the brush. I do hunt some with the sticks also but go pretty slow getting up as I use a tether instead of a linemans. Coming down I rappel and take steps off as I descend.

Maverick1

Aug 2, 2019
Too old. Too fat. ? A YouTube video on your channel with a variety of attempts would get lots of clicks as would a blooper reel.

Reactions: rambotogo