• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2 or more deer in a year?

hokiehunter373

I was just listening to Kip Adams on a podcast and heard him mention that only 15% of all hunters in America killed 2 or more deer last year. I'm aware that everyone's situations, time, states, deer population, laws, habitat, etc. vary but that still seemed shocking. Things have really clicked for me starting 4 years ago. In those years, I've killed 5, 2, 3, and 4 deer per season. Last year I only hunted 12 days in the season. I guess I always figured I was on the lower end of the spectrum for days hunted and just figured that correlated to less deer compared to others. In full disclosure, before the last 5 years, I was VERY unsuccessful. I'm talking about only killing like 2 deer in 12-14 years. I'm fully aware of the struggles lol. But I was young and dumb and barely knew what I was doing then. Sites like this have massively contributed to my recent success. I'm curious what others on this site have experienced? I'd wager the users on here blow out the 15% mentioned above so lets hear it.

Shot 3 last year. It probably has more to do with using/needing the meat and the fact that most pay to process their game.

I’ve only been hunting for 6 years, I killed three deer last season. Two with a trad bow, all from NH which is not exactly a easy state to tag out in. I know guys who shoot 4-5 a year here too

I've killed 5+ deer a year for as far back as I can remember. I killed seven last year but tend to kill 5-6 on a normal year. I'm not bragging at all, I just kill that many because my family eats that many a year since we don't buy meat. We also have a high doe population here and we get several tags so I take full advantage of that :D

I try to kill at least 2 does as a minimum for the freezer. 4 deer would be preferable. I let over 20 bucks and as many does walk out of bow range last year so Im sure I could have filled that quota. I would also imagine that percentage is going to way higher with this crowd.

4 last year. What the last few years of getting addicted to hunting has taught me is that most people don't really care that much if they are successful. They just want to drink beer in camp or just set up a double blind and a corn feeder. Then when they don't get anything just complain about it. I used to be in the second boat because I didn't know there were more options. Glad I've seen the mobile hunting light! Now the other guys like to complain that I have better spots and that it's dangerous on public land..... Whatever, my freezer is full :)

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I do OK :)

Fling - when you going to invite me up for herd management?

A lot of my family hunt pretty hard but only shoot their one buck a year with no interest in shooting does. Especially the older generation just doesn't seem to have quite the interest in venison. I know a lot of guys that will turn a whole deer into sausage, jerky and snack sticks and have no freaking clue how good the meat actually is.

I get 2-3 every year for a while. In PA its nearly impossible to get more than two doe regular tags for most of the state and we get 1 buck tag. Not to start a philosophical debate but I'm not killing deer I am not going to eat and 3 is about all we can put away in a year.

A lot of my family hunt pretty hard but only shoot their one buck a year with no interest in shooting does. Especially the older generation just doesn't seem to have quite the interest in venison. I know a lot of guys that will turn a whole deer into sausage, jerky and snack sticks and have no freaking clue how good the meat actually is.
My dad will usually shoot a few does a year because he just loves hunting. He mentioned to me this year that it still feels wrong shooting does. He said that growing up with low herd populations where you shot bucks and had few if any doe tags it was engrained not to shoot does for the good of the population. How things have changed!

Well there are a few factors that help his cause. State regulations. I could only shoot 1 deer for 5 year and most the state was that way. It was either 2017 or last when that changed back to 2 or more depending on your zone.

Last year was good killed 7. 5 doe
one piebald spike and a nice 7point
Up until last year I always got 3 to 4 deer a year usually keep 2 for the freezer then donate other deer to people who ask for meat

Heck when I decide to take a few does I try to do it in one day! lol killed 3 does in one sit quite a few times. @catman529 has to but he like to kill them as far away from the truck as humanly possible.

There are a lot of years I watch a pile of deer and just kill one just to say I did. Some years I didn’t even pull the trigger because I knew we only needed one and wanted my son to kill one. 2017 I killed 3 and in 2018 two and a hog. My wife of 15 years just started eating deer meat this year and my two didn’t last long. I will be setting the bar high for this year.

I am in it for the meat. I harvest 2 or 3 every year and my wife contributes at least 1. Haven't bought ground beef in over 5 years. I'm all about keeping the freezer full

94e3b1b5f6a66f4c7e2605321764993c.jpg

One buck and three does last year with bow and that’s about average. I could kill more but 4s about right for the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just listening to Kip Adams on a podcast and heard him mention that only 15% of all hunters in America killed 2 or more deer last year. I'm aware that everyone's situations, time, states, deer population, laws, habitat, etc. vary but that still seemed shocking. Things have really clicked for me starting 4 years ago. In those years, I've killed 5, 2, 3, and 4 deer per season. Last year I only hunted 12 days in the season. I guess I always figured I was on the lower end of the spectrum for days hunted and just figured that correlated to less deer compared to others. In full disclosure, before the last 5 years, I was VERY unsuccessful. I'm talking about only killing like 2 deer in 12-14 years. I'm fully aware of the struggles lol. But I was young and dumb and barely knew what I was doing then. Sites like this have massively contributed to my recent success. I'm curious what others on this site have experienced? I'd wager the users on here blow out the 15% mentioned above so lets hear it.
With all the 20+ yrs of education with QDM many hunters hold out for one good buck....I'll hunt very hard here in Michigan for a three yr old or older buck. The fact is you might not see a three yr old all season so Kips pretty much on the number. Myself I try not to disturb an area that holds a good buck by shooting a Doe during the season. If state agency's want hunters to shoot more does then they have implement a deer management plan that rewards those deer hunters passing up young bucks. Its not about antlers its realy about a balanced age structure. The deer herd needs to benefit the most by this type of strategy. QDMA will tell you their members enjoy a complete hunting experience. Shooting yearling bucks and not experiencing true competitive buck rutting activity is all part of the true benefits for the deer herd. State agency's have systematically divided deer hunters all by design. Their poor attitude towards QDMA is very evident
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

Last edited:
I passed deer all of 2017 because my freezer was full. I made some space and this past year took 3. I try to take what my family will eat in a year plus a a little for guests. I wish my state had a hunters for the hungry program. That way if I was set I'd still be able to fill tags to support others.

Back