• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2 Sticks with Moveable Aider

K.D.P

SH Member
Good afternoon,
I have a one stick setup using a Novix Mini Double step with a 2 step aider but………
I’ve been playing around with the idea of trying two Novix Mini steps with a 3 step moveable aider. I didn’t climb with the 2nd stick today because I was on daddy duty and didn’t want anything to happen.(Hints my little helper this afternoon) However after setting just the 1st stick I measured to the top of the 1st stick and it was 6ft 4in. I’m only 5’7 and don’t want to have to stretch to far between steps. Does anyone else using this method if so how high can you get with 2 sticks and the moveable aider? I’m guessing I can get around to 13 to 14 feet to the top of the 2nd stick then another foot or so with the platform. I’m going to rappel down and just grab my sticks as I go down. Also the current pack.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0757.jpeg
    IMG_0757.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0755.jpeg
    IMG_0755.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
This is what inhave been doing for the last couple of years. I actually use my aider on my platform as well and can get over 20ft up this way.

I built two EWO sticks. My bottom stick has a 4 step aider and the top stick has a 3 step aider.

This is what inhave been doing for the last couple of years. I actually use my aider on my platform as well and can get over 20ft up this way.
I didn’t think about doing that. That’s a good idea. Do you use a linesmen belt or tether or both?

Last edited:
Ya see I have been back and forth on this 100 times… if I am going to mess with a multistep aider. I am just gonna one stick…lol
I completely understand that!! I’ll stick one stick in situations. However, I feel it would probably take me 3 maybe 4 moves to get close to what I can get with the two sticks with the 3 step aider. My one stick has a 2 step aider.

I haven't used sticks in quiet some time but when I did use them, 2 16" sticks and long aider was all I needed. If u needed 3 moves u just tether in and disconnect the bottom stick after u transfered over to the 2nd. My stirrups are essentially the same thing...just a place to attach an aider and stand while attaching the next anchor point.....12-15 foot plenty for me. It was faster and more efficient than single stick climb IMO

I haven't used sticks in quiet some time but when I did use them, 2 16" sticks and long aider was all I needed. If u needed 3 moves u just tether in and disconnect the bottom stick after u transfered over to the 2nd. My stirrups are essentially the same thing...just a place to attach an aider and stand while attaching the next anchor point.....12-15 foot plenty for me. It was faster and more efficient than single stick climb IMO
Yeah I think each has their own place. I don’t hunt 3 miles back so the extra stick isn’t a big deal. I will say I currently have the rope mod on my 2 sticks and the cam cleat on the one stick. The cam cleat mod may be the trick because it’ll same time and give me the ability to get a few more inches but it may not be work the extra $40 a piece for the cam cleats. Plus the 2 stick aider option gives me the ability to leave the sticks to save time if I’m going to hunt their that afternoon or next morning.

Has anyone added a loop of amsteel to their stick and used a d ring with a small carabiner to attach yourself to the stick as you move your linesmen belt up. I’m thinking something similar to how the guy does the wild edge step “Cain” method. You might could do this one sticking as well. This would be used go possibly go hands free as you move your tether or linesmen belt up the tree.

I tried this and it works great in the daylight. I stopped this technique when I had to decline in the dark...it is difficult to secure your foot declining without visual confirmation. Maybe repelling down is the solution...

Back