• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2018 Team 5 Thread

IkemanTX

Last edited:
Haha, come on huck.... You couldn't really make it through a season without me dedicating a whole thread to making you feel inferior, could you...

It's just a place to revel in our dominance over this competition. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does inferior mean?? I've never heard that word.

Heck yeah team lets get it done. I expect nothing less than a bunch of 37 point bucks to start hitting the ground here. Instagram is @j.r.minich but I never post these days

Wooooo lets go!!!!! Hoping to start with a nice WV buck near my house, then travel to my Ohio property and kill one of the big boys I have running around. Insta - @lg_shea

What's everyone's season plans?

I am pretty much stuck at home this year here in Central PA. Had our second kiddo in May. I am on a pretty short leash now, especially when my forays into the wild run up against the bedtime ritual. Between that and a pretty robust work schedule I am just trying to get out when I can this year.

Our season kicks off September 29 and runs through Nov 12.

I do have off Nov 1 - 10.

All clear Saturdays except the first two are jammed up. No Sunday hunting here ridiculously. Weekdays I have some opportunities to get out before/after work.

I have one buck tag and like 9 doe tags (will only fill 2, but they are for a bunch of different areas). I'll look for decent buck but as the season starts ticking down I'll adjust accordingly.

I'll be 100% saddle with a few different platform options to shake out. Have a Kite dialed in now and someday just maybe I'll get my Mantis.

First scouting/hunting trip to Mizzou next Friday-Monday. Promised myself to get in at least 25 hours of walking, so I don't intend on too much time sitting, but we'll see. My bow will be in hand the whole time.

Louisiana season October1 to January31 where I usually hunt.

First week of November back in Mizzou.

May sneak into Alabama for a hunt or two late season.

I pretty much have the ability to shoot more deer than I'll have in bow range. So my success will depend entirely on my effort.

I'm looking forward to not thinking about hunting gear anymore, and just hunting. If I don't have two deer on the board I'll be quite disappointed in myself.

My season in Michigan starts October 1 and runs through January 1. I’ll be pretty much bow hunting for all of it aside from maybe a couple sits with my old 30-30 or my muzzleloader.

I’ve been scouting a lot of public land this year to add to my assortment of stand locations, even found a couple of what looks like real diamonds in the rough.

I was also fortunate to draw a tag in the Shiawassee state game preserve from October 31-November 14 which is pretty much the absolute best time to be in the woods here.

Other than that I’ll likely spend some time in the evenings after work hunting the 80 that I live on.

Oh, I almost forgot to add that I’ll be bringing one of my 4 kids along for most hunts, they’re 7,8,11&12 and they all love to hunt. They’ve been begging to hang with me in a saddle so I set up my trophyline for them, now I just need my medium mantis to show up.

I have 2 buck tags and basically as many doe tags as I want for some areas, should be good for quite a few points!

Can’t wait to see team 5 dominate this friendly competition!

What's everyone's season plans?

I am pretty much stuck at home this year here in Central PA. Had our second kiddo in May. I am on a pretty short leash now, especially when my forays into the wild run up against the bedtime ritual. Between that and a pretty robust work schedule I am just trying to get out when I can this year.

Our season kicks off September 29 and runs through Nov 12.

I do have off Nov 1 - 10.

All clear Saturdays except the first two are jammed up. No Sunday hunting here ridiculously. Weekdays I have some opportunities to get out before/after work.

I have one buck tag and like 9 doe tags (will only fill 2, but they are for a bunch of different areas). I'll look for decent buck but as the season starts ticking down I'll adjust accordingly.

I'll be 100% saddle with a few different platform options to shake out. Have a Kite dialed in now and someday just maybe I'll get my Mantis.
Congratulations on the new little one! I, too, have a young family that limits my time in the woods.
I'll be hunting one day a week on public land, and several evenings a week in my neighborhood.

Season started Sept 8th, and I made a bad shot on a doe that morning. First bow hunt and first wound loss, it was a terrible start to the season. I'll do better, I promise. :confused: I'm bowhunting through archery season, then carrying a rifle on my public land hunts. Around the house is archery only, so there will be bow action all season.

I'm 100% saddle, myself. WE Stepps with a knaider/swaider, Predator platform, and Mantis saddle. This is my first year saddlehunting and I'm STOKED!

I've got 10 doe and 2 buck tags, one of which must have 4 points on one side. I fully expect to have a few does in the freezer this season, and have a few nice prospects for bucks.

Last edited:
I forgot to give the run down of what I'll be hunting in/with - I suspect the majority of my hunts will be with jim stepps and either using them or my assassin as a platform. I have a size 2 kite I plan to try out, and if it ends up fitting ok, will probably get more run than my size 1 kestrel. I have a guido's web that will fit the bill for longer sits in real cold weather, which is rare around here.

I have sticks and SRT setup - i'm sure each will get used a time or two.

I should be able to drop some video footage into the thread as we go along, I believe I have convinced myself to carry my film gear every time (read - I spent enough money, I won't sleep at night if I don't).

I am going to try and do my best Mr. Warren impression and walk until the sign won't let me walk past it. I'll be pretty picky on my Missouri hunts, but I plan on giving the first couple of deer I see a ride in the truck here in La.

I will be hunting Texas and Oklahoma.
Between the two states, I can possibly shoot 5 bucks, and 4 does. So, that means I won't be stingy at all this year putting a buck on the ground.

In Texas, all bucks have to be 13" inside spread or wider, which is about 3.5 years old here, and with our low population densities (2.5-5 dpsm) it can be a struggle to even find a legal buck on public some years. Also, of the 3 antlered tags I have for Texas, I have to shoot all 3 bucks in a different county due to buck/doe harvest restrictions on north Texas. (1 buck counties with limited doe seasons)

In Oklahoma, I have no antler restrictions, or county restrictions. You can shoot 2 bucks and 2 does period.

I will have from October 12th through thanksgiving off from work. But, I won't be hunting all of that. I will probably be getting 3-4 days a week in the woods during that 5-6 weeks. I hope that much time translates to some decent success this season.

Tha high 5 on the board! Atta Boy! give us a story! More pictures!

@Letemgrowitllshow
Was sitting on an oak flat. Rained up till bout 615 this morning I was set up around 6. Preset screw in steps with the predator on some private land. Actually shot at one around 630 but completely missed. But that was actually beneficial because I walked through why I missed and corrected myself for the next opportunity.

All the deer were gone so I climbed down to get that arrow to make sure it was a clean miss and it was. Got back up and hooked into my tether. Didn't even put my release on yet and she was slightly quartering away at 31.

I was starting to rush myself to get ready, then I told myself she ain't going anywhere cuz she was munching on acorns, so I slowed down, ranged her at 31, drew back, got my anchor point, bent at the hip and settled the 30 yd pin just behind the shoulder.

Let one fly and THUD! Hit her right where I was aiming. She went to take off and her chest nearly dragged on the ground. My arrow was still in her and I could see I had good penetration. Didn't go all the way through because I hit her opposite side shoulder.

Call the father in law and brother in law and we trailed her out. Went about 150yards surprisingly, but was all piled up when we got to her. Good blood the whole way.

Was a good feeling to get some meet ing the freezer, and it was a good lesson to not rush and just stay calm. We owe it to these animals to kill them clean.
f61daa41e7a17a8b36f39d4adcf6b801.jpg
400f52aee9cadc85ea3130e759abf562.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Got her all squared away now I'm sitting out for a good buck we seen on this field last night. He spooked when he saw the truck, and we saw him run into this woods on a trail 20 yards east of me. I'm sitting in a leaf suit up against some round bails.

Wind is from SSE, same wind as last night. It's a good wind for him to be in this woods and to walk into the wind on his way to the field, but its also a good wind for me to sit just off his trail and let my scent blow parallel to his suspected bedding.1537044977073~2.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Back