• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2TC tether slack and fall risk

Marmuzz

Yes, yet another thread about fall safety and injuries. I wanted to mention this on the one-sticking-dynamic-rope thread but out of respect to the OP and considering 2TC and one sticking are different, I started it here.

TL/DR: My thinking is 2TC is safer than one-sticking because you're making smaller movements, climbing above your tether connection max. to chest/waist level, you're usually making contact with the tree, and introducing less slack.

Anecdotes are not empirical evidence, but let me suggest a few experiential examples:

In a hypothetical one-stick fall, say you slip off the platform or the cam cleat fails—either way I'm envisioning a relatively straight drop.
(It happened to me my first time attempting to DIY one-stick when my Hawk stick eased up too much on the VersaWrap and it dropped. I went down a foot or so, got all scraped up against the tree and sore, but ultimately was okay.)

In a hypothetical 2TC fall, say you slip with your tree-grip toe and swing sideways—this isn't really a straight fall; frankly it may not even be a fall as much as a rapid horizontal movement.
(I did this other day. Puckered hard momentarily but I didn't move vertically since my swinging leg was still choking my foot tether tight to the tree. I could quickly grab the tree with my arms and stop.)

In another hypothetical 2TC fall, say you slip out of your foot tether and down you go.
(Actually, I'm not sure how you'd do this. I tried near ground level last night. Without a platform or ROS, you're either supported by your saddle tether or your foot tether. I had to pull myself up on branches to get out of the foot tether and then let go to simulate a short fall. I didn't like it but I was okay.)

I can imagine some dicy 2TC scenarios. Say your foot tether swings out, maybe while advancing your main tether, maybe you swing out wide enough to start going downhill a little inverted, it's a scarefest no doubt. But because of your proximity to the tree and having two tie-in points, I'm thinking you have a series of scrapes, small falls, akin to a fall on a properly placed lineman's belt, until your main tether catches. It's gonna hurt, I don't recommend it, but downhill steady-by-jerks should not generate the same momentum as a straight free fall. It's not safe, but I'd purport it's *safer.

Ultimately, it seems to me it's hard to fall in 2TC because of the nature of the method. And if you do, fall factors are what they are, but I'd say you're not generating the speed, uninterrupted momentum, or distance that you might achieve in a one-stick fall. In 2TC you are still creating slack in your line, and that's dangerous. I'd like to talk about how dangerous.

Now, those of you wiser in physics and 2TC please poke holes in my hypotheticals or propose other views. (Asking in all genuine openness. Not aiming to start an argument.) If I'm gonna be an idiot and climb a dangerous method, I'd rather be a better-informed and chastised idiot.

I would agree that "falling" is hard to do using 2TC. It seems that a fixed foot tether and main tether make for a better chance of a vertical fall considering there will be slack in the system, albeit minimal. A lot of the adjustable 2TC systems that came out of the "why don't yall 2TC" thread make slack almostall non existent. Horizontal slips are much more likely, even over other climbing methods.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Having done quite a bit of 2TC in the last few months and having thought about a potential fall I think you are right that a "fall" would be directed more as a swing out than a straight drop. It's definitely not something I would want to experience but I think a fall in 2TC would be preferable to a fall with a lineman's belt if a stick broke. I personally feel a lot safer climbing 2TC than I did with sticks last season. Not to mention 2TC is way lighter to carry and for me, a whole lot faster and less fiddly. I think limiting the fiddle factor goes a long way toward preventing a fall in the first place.

Short of a catastrophic equipment failure, SRT is the safety as there's always tension on your bridge (harness connection). In all other forms of climbing, there is slack in your system at some point. For all other climbing methods, I agree that 2TC is probably the safest as it's the simplest (less points of failure) and generally provides the least amount of slack in your system.

Ergonomically though, 2TC is probably the best since your knee/hip generally doesn't go greater than parallel to the ground and your arms generally don't go much higher than your head. Ergonomically, 1-stick is probably the worst since you have to reach way down to retrieve your stick and reach way up to set your tether.

I agree with yours and @always89y ‘s assessments. The slack would be minimal (although still existent) however you aren’t climbing over your attachment point and with your foot in the second tether you’re more likely for kick out than fall. I can’t stress enough how important it is to keep your fingers out of the rope when advancing your tether though.

How are you supported when you move your top tether around limbs? Second tether?

How are you supported when you move your top tether around limbs? Second tether?
I think this was discussed in the long 2TC thread @Red Beard started? I think you can clip your bridge into a second hitch on your foot tether and then hang from that while move your top tether. Haven’t had to try it though so I might be wrong

When you stand up on your foot teather and introduce slack in a 2tc.the fall is only the distance you stood up and isnt any diffetent than sitting back down in your saddle.except your foot slipped.i fell and sat back down where i just was.from sitting down to standing up to sitting down.i dont even know how to hurt myself 2tethering.but i will figyer it out.

I hook in to a hitch on my foot tether and then go around the branch with my top tether, reconnect to top tether and then bypass the branch with my foot tether.

I agree with @tailgunner, the distance you will fall is one step's worth, overreaching and trying to make too big a step will increase the likely hood of falling or kicking out on your foot tether. Just like most physical processes, slower is faster.

@tailgunner don’t you hunt in pretty rainy PNW woods? What’s it like 2TCing wet trees?
I've climbed wet trees a few times, no major issues with the climb for me, others have reported very slippery conditions when planting their toe into the tree to step up. I would recommend trying it out on a wet tree after you've got a firm grip on what your rhythm is.

Back