• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

8 step aider

lpv77

Has anyone tried one off of a wildedge? I'd assume the tree would need to be fairly straight if it was feasible 3 steps will get around 20-22'

It has been done. I personally don't like to attach anything to the stepps. An aider attached to the stepps requires the stepp to be solidly attached to the tree at all times. If the stepp develops some play whether it be soft bark tree or even a smooth parked tree it is significantly more prone to kickout. There are few documented mishaps over the years. You can probably still find BrokenLimbs thread in AT. I think it was around 2012. He almost got seriously hurt when one kicked out on a beech tree.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The last week or so I have been practicing attaching a one step adjustable aider to a stepp. Today was the last day I will do that. I was on a large oak with thick bark so the surface for the stepp was uneven, I did not fall but when all that pressure was on one of the stepps it was loose when I stepped on it. Made me rethink. I am switching to a tether. I still have not perfected the stepp loop knot, so that could be to blame in part.

That being said I'm using an aider attached to my tether to climb 20 feet with 3 stepps.

I just got done trying that with a 6 step aider.....flippin awesome! All be it I only attempted one stepp but I was standing over seven feet off the ground!

Surely going to be investing some time on this one! Thanks for the spark gentlemen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been playing around with an Amstel soft shackle on a 6 step aider on the stepps. 3 stepps got my feet at 24’.

Definitely not the safest option. BassBoysLLP has it figured out the best in my opinion. A lot more safety with the tether for a negligible speed loss moving the tether up the tree.

I’m going to practice his method til I get proficient.

The last week or so I have been practicing attaching a one step adjustable aider to a stepp. Today was the last day I will do that. I was on a large oak with thick bark so the surface for the stepp was uneven, I did not fall but when all that pressure was on one of the stepps it was loose when I stepped on it. Made me rethink. I am switching to a tether. I still have not perfected the stepp loop knot, so that could be to blame in part.

It’s hard to perfect. They can be so tight on some trees then loosen up under pressure.

I just got done trying that with a 6 step aider.....flippin awesome! All be it I only attempted one stepp but I was standing over seven feet off the ground!

Surely going to be investing some time on this one! Thanks for the spark gentlemen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used a 6 step aider on sticks all fall. They do work great... Stay upright, two hands on the tree.,foot all the way in the aider... take your time....

For those than can use that method I think multi step aiders would be great. I use a one step aider attached to the step itself. I have had the steps move twist sideways and flip up but have never had one fail to get me up and down the tree. When you think about it a loose step grips the tree exactly like a climbing stick. I don’t feel at all unsafe attaching an aider to the step itself. I am only using the aider as a one step and I am holding onto a step higher than the one I’m climbing onto. I have had my foot kick out to the side when using the aider on small trees. It wasn’t fun and I can only imagine it happening with no hand holds.

I have been clipping the aider to the steps and have yet to have an issue. I am not sure what I am doing differently, but I can have the clip on the center. left or right side of the step. It will not move. After I cam over the step, I grab the rope on both sides and pull down. I think that helps to really lock it in place. I also try to wiggle the step and test for looseness. But I find that once it is cammed over it is not going to move. I have had them shift a tiny bit on me when I stand on it. I blame loose bark. But again, it is rock solid.

I just climbed a tree yesterday that was maybe only five inches in diameter as I got to set up height. Just a narrow tree. The steps and aider worked wonderfully. I would never get up something like that with a climber. Maybe a stick would work, but not sure.

I have been clipping the aider to the steps and have yet to have an issue. I am not sure what I am doing differently, but I can have the clip on the center. left or right side of the step. It will not move. After I cam over the step, I grab the rope on both sides and pull down. I think that helps to really lock it in place. I also try to wiggle the step and test for looseness. But I find that once it is cammed over it is not going to move. I have had them shift a tiny bit on me when I stand on it. I blame loose bark. But again, it is rock solid.

I just climbed a tree yesterday that was maybe only five inches in diameter as I got to set up height. Just a narrow tree. The steps and aider worked wonderfully. I would never get up something like that with a climber. Maybe a stick would work, but not sure.
Sticks would work too.

That being said I'm using an aider attached to my tether to climb 20 feet with 3 stepps.

Do you happen to have a pic of how you attach your aider to the tether and what type aides you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you happen to have a pic of how you attach your aider to the tether and what type aides you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Prussic can be used in place of ascender. I climb with my tether.
eb987ad9732f992349f9970a155dca40.jpg

Do you think I could climb the aider and then attach a step so I am not reaching over my head.
To attach a stepp It might solve my biggest issue with steps. Rotator cuff issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you think I could climb the aider and then attach a step so I am not reaching over my head.
To attach a stepp It might solve my biggest issue with steps. Rotator cuff issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
maybe if you cinched the linemans belt tight. Honestly, at that point I would just use sticks.

@Ontariofarmer why not see how high to can tie one on then see how many step aider you need to get to it. If you can get six feet per step you will still be pretty light. I am plenty happy with 3-4 feet per step. I can stretch that to 4.5 feet when I need to but it’s more work.

maybe if you cinched the linemans belt tight. Honestly, at that point I would just use sticks.

Still what I am leaning to. Maybe shorter sticks because the aider makes up for any shorter stick. Climbing an aider is something I am used to. Some people do not like it .

I used sticks and a 6 step aider all fall. Now I have lighter sticks it is likely the best for me.

Back