• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Accident: my climbing stick gave way while I was standing on it, I'm fine.

caddis75

I had an accident. I am ok. The fall deer season ends Friday. Today was my last chance as family stuff takes up the next few days. I went out today to see if I could sneak in on the deer I spooked last week. After walking in, I decided that the tree I chose last week was too close to their bedding area. I picked a tree about 20 yards back. The tree I decided on was larger than I normally sit in, I couldn't get my arms around it. The tree first pitched back towards me before straightening out. I carry three shortened API sticks with aiders. I run a DIY Kestral saddle and trophy line tether and lineman's rope. My first stick held fine. My second stick held fine, at first. As I was standing on top of my second stick, I decided to lower my third stick to the ground, as I didn't need it. The way the tree trunk branched made my line of sight too complicated, so I made a decision to just use the two sticks and then my ROS. My lineman's belt was a little low, obstructed by a large trunk veering off, so I decided to connect my tether, unhook my lineman's belt, then move it over the trunk and rehook it. Then the bark of the tree sloughed away and my second stick slid down the tree until it was almost out of reach. As a major part of the bark was gone, my stick was sort of hanging loosely, parallel to the ground at this point. I caught the amsteel with my foot and hoisted the stick back up to me. I also had my ring of steps on me. My saddle and tether held, but I had nothing to put my feet on. I took stock and focused on remaining calm. I made sure I still had my phone. My first stick was about 4-5 feet below my feet. I tried to get the amsteel from my second stick to get around the tree, which failed. The tree was too big and it was too windy. I then tried to use my ring of steps, but I dropped my buckle, so I went back to my stick. I decided to swing the whole stick instead of the amsteel around the tree, and that worked as I was able to catch it on the other side. I set it and finally had a place to rest. It was still too far between sticks though. It took me a little while longer to get my lineman's rope out, as when I was pulling it down, the loose carabiner, jammed up between two trunks and I couldn't reach it. Once I was able to reset my lineman's belt I was able to climb down. I think I was up there for about an hour. I got down and just rested for a while, then hunted for a few hours.

Some final thoughts. I am really lucky my tether was in as I unhooked my lineman's belt to move it around a branch. I would have fallen without it. I am also really lucky I caught the stick with my feet as it fell. I stayed calm, which was good, and just worked on the problem. I don't know if I would have been calm if I lost that second stick and my ROS buckle. I made several mistakes, one of which was the tree I chose, for its girth and loose bark. I also should have had a secured second method to get down. In addition, I should have put a stopped knot on my ROS strap so the buckle wouldn't slide off.

All the blame is on me. What else could I have done?

I'm done for the fall season, winter season doesn't pick up for a month, so back to flyfishing and housework.

-J

Glad to hear you’re okay. Those big trees are dangerous. If you can’t reach around it consider hunting from the ground. Even if you manage to get up one of those I think it’s noisy.

Glad your ok and if your ever in position like that again carry a daisy chain and extra beaner to make a loop that you can step on to take weight and a pull rope you can attatch a 30# magnet (harbor frieght) you can lower down to grab your stick as it’s all metal. Seriously glad your ok

Glad your'e ok and managed to stay calm. staying calm is probably the most important thing you can do after a fall or injury. A panicked brain is not a rational brain.

Take your bumps and bruises and count it as a lesson learned man.

I'm glad you are OK. Way to think through the problem. Do you have any thoughts about making your system safer? Maybe rappel down?

I feel bad as you got those sticks and gear from me but I’m seriously glad your ok!!! Good part to think it out in your situation

Hey all, thank you. The equipment worked as expected. The bark gave way, not the stick. I do need to think about a secondary safety piece, such as the daisy chain mentioned, the rappelling rope, or even the magnet. I could probably have another 50 sits and nothing like that would happen. It's a hell of a reminder you are on your own and need to plan for contingencies like that. Plus, it wouldn't have been as difficult if I could have reached around the tree, so the selection was my bad also. Sure as hell I spooked the deer while I was swinging my climbing stick against the tree lol. Thanks all. I posted for ideas on what I did wrong, but thanks for all the well wishes. I remember checking my watch, and it was an hour later than I thought I went up, but honestly, I really don't think I was up there for an hour. That would have hurt more, I think.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are okay. An hour is a long time. I had something similar but not near as bad happen this fall. I usually never climb big trees. But the tree in the right spot was big with flaky bark in patches. My daisy chain wasn't set right on the bark on the back side where I couldn't see or feel and my third stick came off the tree while I was on it. Cheap lessons learned for both of us.

So glad you were able to work it out, and as you realize, some pre-planning and maybe a couple extra pieces of gear would put you much better able to deal with a similar situation in the future.

If you’re using daisy chains, carry an extra carabiner to attach and add weight for swinging around large trees.

It’s also a good idea to carry an emergency tether. My gear strap is a 9’ amsteel daisy chain with the added benefit that I can use it as an emergency tether for my foot if I needed it. It would allow me to stand up to be able to work my tether down. From there I can then lower the foot tether and repeat. Not easy, and certainly not ideal, but it will work in an emergency.

Glad you are good. Another thing to think about folks is having first aid ON YOUR PERSON rather than in your pack thats still on the ground or hanging above you in the tree. Israeli bandage or something in a pouch on your saddle. Metal climbing sticks can shred your legs up pretty good. Bleeding out while stuck 18ft up would be a little harder to stay calm like this gentleman did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you are good. Another thing to think about folks is having first aid ON YOUR PERSON rather than in your pack thats still on the ground or hanging above you in the tree. Israeli bandage or something in a pouch on your saddle. Metal climbing sticks can shred your legs up pretty good. Bleeding out while stuck 18ft up would be a little harder to stay calm like this gentleman did.

In addition to the usual first aid stuff I have israeli bandage with me, and long releasable zipties that could be used for nearly hands free pressure if necessary.

Another easy cheap thing everyone should consider is adding the zipties or something similar for tether adjustment. You wouldn’t want this same scenario to happen with your fingers under the tether.

In addition to the usual first aid stuff I have israeli bandage with me, and long releasable zipties that could be used for nearly hands free pressure if necessary.

Another easy cheap thing everyone should consider is adding the zipties or something similar for tether adjustment. You wouldn’t want this same scenario to happen with your fingers under the tether.

Got a pic for the tether idea? I found my self putting my hands under my rappel/tether line today waaaaay too much.

So glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing what happened to you so that we can all learn from it. Aside from rappelling the other thing that comes to mind is having a second tether of normal length that you can then use with your normal tether to work your way down the tree, it would be slow going but you'd get there.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Glad your ok and if your ever in position like that again carry a daisy chain and extra beaner to make a loop that you can step on to take weight and a pull rope you can attatch a 30# magnet (harbor frieght) you can lower down to grab your stick as it’s all metal. Seriously glad your ok
Aluminum is not magnetic...... a DIY coat hanger treble hook might work better for retrieving a fallen stick.

So glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing what happened to you so that we can all learn from it. Aside from rappelling the other thing that comes to mind is having a second tether of normal length that you can then use with your normal tether to work your way down the tree, it would be slow going but you'd get there.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
I carry the Treestand Wingman in case of a situation like that . You can check what I use on their website. It's an awesome product.

Back