• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Action Wood Riser Blocks

DaWiz9578

Anyone have any ideas on where to get these? Looking into starting a recurve build over the winter/spring, need to do some procuring and building before the actual bow starts, but was first trying to figure out if I can locate anywhere with these. Looking for the color change/contrasting grains when the riser is sanded.

On another note, any input, resources or youtube suggestions for researching recurve build let me know!

Appreciate it guys.

My dad has recently ordered Actionwood from Binghams but they no longer offer all of the colors that they used to. My understanding is that the factory that used to make actionwood burnt down and is no longer producing it. Rosewood archery https://www.rosewoodarchery.com/ offers a replacement, dymanwood (I believe it's called) in several colors. My dad has always used Binghams but, he was super impressed with Rosewood when he ordered from them.

Kenny's archery also has pictures of an entire longbow build that is pretty informative.

appreciate all the leads guys

Not sure what colors you're interested in but, since it's hard to tell from the websites what stuff will look like I thought I would show you two of the "brighter" colors they offer. The first pics attached are "Desert Camo" and the second pics are "Burgundy camo". Both limbs are flat grain. My son and my daughter's boyfriend both wanted brighter bows. I thought I would share as we had no idea what they would look like when we ordered the wood. Might give you an idea what some of the other camos they offer look like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-160547.png
    Screenshot_20200820-160547.png
    821.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20200820-160633.png
    Screenshot_20200820-160633.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20200820-160655.png
    Screenshot_20200820-160655.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20200820-191809.png
    Screenshot_20200820-191809.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
After some research I feel like I'm bailing, but may just start with a self bow from a stave. Just thinks it's a toe in the pool vs a cannonball. If I stick with it I'd like to end up with a full riser in either a 1 piece or a takedown, but to break the ice may just order a couple hand tools and build a tiller tree instead of all the forms, hotbox and make the mess with all the adhesives.

Still appreciate the input!

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

You know you can buy a “Finish it yourself” longbow or recurve from Binghams. That’d be my choice over trying the stave route and that way you get a taste for bow building with minimal investment in tools. Something to think about...

You know you can buy a “Finish it yourself” longbow or recurve from Binghams. That’d be my choice over trying the stave route and that way you get a taste for bow building with minimal investment in tools. Something to think about...
I did see that and I will look into it, just at the moment leading to stave.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

welp, looks like im not doing a stave haha...im all over the place

Back