• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adding cam cleats to Sticks

Bmac1746

I want to try adding a cam cleat to one of my Hawk sticks. Directions to an earlier post or suggestions on doing this are welcome. Looking for some direction, ie type of rope, the cam that will fit the Hawk sticks etc.

This is what I used all year this year. It's installed on a helium I cut down to about 22 inches. I used a Harken Cam-matic 150 for my cleat (West Marine). The rope I'm using is 8mm Samson accessory cord (Wesspur), about 6 feet in length. I just tied it around the helium under the cleat using a figure 8 on a bight. There's a zip tie there but its just to keep the rope from sliding down the stick between hook ups. Let me know if you need any more info.
20190227_191514_resized.jpg

I just recently put a cam cleat on api stick I’m going to use for climbing with one stick.
Schaefer cleat $25
7mm predator rope $10

I found cheap cam cleats on ebay. They worked great this year. I did post them on a thread here. Ill post a pic later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought these off eBay to check them out. Same specs as Harken 150. We’ll see how they work.
8fbe0146ee99e5607784cc1e64fee055.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is what I used all year this year. It's installed on a helium I cut down to about 22 inches. I used a Harken Cam-matic 150 for my cleat (West Marine). The rope I'm using is 8mm Samson accessory cord (Wesspur), about 6 feet in length. I just tied it around the helium under the cleat using a figure 8 on a bight. There's a zip tie there but its just to keep the rope from sliding down the stick between hook ups. Let me know if you need any more info.
View attachment 10591
Boyne,
Thanks for the info. Did the cleat just replace the former attachment method or did you have to drill new holes?

Yep, 4 or 5 of those would be a tough pill to swallow.
They are pricey but I'll say one thing, I definitley got my money's worth out of this one. I'm pretty sure this stick is the 5th "DIY something" between sticks and platforms I've had this particular cam clamp on. The others all fell by the wayside for one reason or another but I think its found a permanent home on this one. I used this stick almost exclusively last year and it works great for single stick climbing.

This is my mini sticks. I used all year along with beast sticks. They worked great with amsteel and the cam cleats. I just bought Dano’s angled steps and tree brackets to upgrade them.
a5f498cac738cfdfa1ee7a723803213d.jpg
263c83b0c7cf8e75e379021fa8e9a2a2.jpg

ho
This is my mini sticks. I used all year along with beast sticks. They worked great with amsteel and the cam cleats. I just bought Dano’s angled steps and tree brackets to upgrade them.
a5f498cac738cfdfa1ee7a723803213d.jpg
263c83b0c7cf8e75e379021fa8e9a2a2.jpg

how well did having the cam mounted on the side work? I am thinking of either using this or a daisy chain method on my home made sticks. I am worried about the stack ability having the cam cleat on the front with my lone wolf tree stand offs.

How high can you get with those four?

Back