• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adding Steps to Platform Strap

MathewsMan7

After perusing here for awhile, it seems as if adding at least a step or two to the strap of a platform on either side seems to be gaining popularity. I hunted with The Predator Platform this year, and I can definitely see how adding a step to either side is a lightweight, efficient option to get the best of both worlds (platform + ROS). I will probably do this for next year. If you’ve done this, have you stuck with it? Do you feel it adds to the versatility of shot making? What steps do you prefer? Thanks.

Yes it makes all the difference. I have 2 steps. One on each side. It gives you all the versatility you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t imagine needing them for any shots, just use your knees and feet and lean. But I have toyed with doing it just so I can sit facing the tree and straddle the tree. It seems like a very comfy way to sit. I just don’t know if it’s worth the money and increased bulk in my pack.

I got my OOAL Podium mid season and immediately considered adding a step. After the first few sits I couldn’t imagine needing it. There seems to be plenty of surface to stand or push on to get to every shot angle.

I've only had my saddle set up since Christmas, while in season no step. Now that the season is over I'm doing a lot of practicing. I've been using just a single step on the back side of my homemade platform. It seems to be working out pretty well so far.

I will always add 1 step on my strong side, and I'll have my top climbing step on my weak side.
Can I make shots without those steps? Yeah, but I shoot better on some shots with the step.
Can I move off the platform as slow with controlled movement without the steps? Nope.
Can I comfortably remain off the platform for extended periods of time without the step? Absolutely not.
The step weighs almost nothing. Seems crazy not to have one.

I have Ameristeps on the straps of my 3 Predators but the new Treehopper steps are really nice. If I needed to buy more steps, I would go with TH.

Last edited:
I was happy w/my R R alone, but after trying a ROS, Thanks to Nutterbuster and more money, I like it better than a platform, Lighter and smaller to carry, shoot all the way around the tree. No weak side, just walk around. If you asked me, which you didn't.

Anyone using squirrel steps on predator strap?How do thay work with strap up higher than the platform?

Anyone using squirrel steps on predator strap?How do thay work with strap up higher than the platform?
I swapped out an Ameristep for a Squirrel step on one of my Predators but I put the Ameristep back on. Mostly because I preferred the non metal when wrapping up the rig. The plastic was quieter. I didn't spend much time hunting with the Squirrel step on it, but my impression was the Ameriatep was a little more stable for that application.
I think the Treehopper step will be super stable.
As for the step being above the platform, that is where you want secondary steps with a platform. Level with the platform is not what you want. A level step actually becomes a reach for your foot. And being above, it becomes a bit of a "stopper" for more control. Its also a comfortable foot rest for a slight change of position during a long day.
Above level also gives you essentially a slightly longer tether when stepping around the tree.
I've used bolts on chain-on preset platforms. I had the option to place the bolt at any height...higher than the platform is ALWAYS better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have a squirrel step on the strong side and use the top step of my stick on the weak side. I don’t need it for every tree but it’s nice to have when I do. Also very comfortable when I need to change my position in the tree. It doesn’t weigh anything and after wrapping it, it makes less noise than the buckle.

I ran 2 squirrel steps the last few sits and went to 1 and the top of my last stick. Gives more options for comfort and moving around the tree. I stealth strips on the step and it works great.

I have one on each side as i generally have my platform a foot or so higher than top step. Upgraded to a RR, but still use 2 silent approach steps - same principal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200129-220846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200129-220846_Gallery.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 280
Any info where to get the steps to slide onto predator strap? Having hard time finding TH

I bought 4 steps from Silent Approach and have them on my Ridge Runner platform strap. Not that I needed 4, only wanted 3. Still haven't gotten in a tree yet. Still waiting on my Aero Flex back ordered since early Dec..Anxious to get to practicing with my set up...

I bought 4 steps from Silent Approach and have them on my Ridge Runner platform strap. Not that I needed 4, only wanted 3. Still haven't gotten in a tree yet. Still waiting on my Aero Flex back ordered since early Dec..Anxious to get to practicing with my set up...
I was going to go with the squirrel steps but also went with the Silent Approach 4 pack due to cost. Waiting on them to arrive now.

Anyone have an issue with a step sliding down which causes the platform to loosen a little bit. I did a toe hook after that happened and it seemed to be solid after that. Just curious how everyone else handles this

Anyone have an issue with a step sliding down which causes the platform to loosen a little bit. I did a toe hook after that happened and it seemed to be solid after that. Just curious how everyone else handles this
Yeah that has happened to me a time or so. I just toe hook almost always now from the start.

After perusing here for awhile, it seems as if adding at least a step or two to the strap of a platform on either side seems to be gaining popularity. I hunted with The Predator Platform this year, and I can definitely see how adding a step to either side is a lightweight, efficient option to get the best of both worlds (platform + ROS). I will probably do this for next year. If you’ve done this, have you stuck with it? Do you feel it adds to the versatility of shot making? What steps do you prefer? Thanks.
I had the Bullman Outdoors steps on my strap, which worked but I wasn't completely pleased with (didn't like them under side pressure). So I found someone selling 6 Cranford Scaffold steps. I currently have 3 on my predator platform strap, probably just need 2. They do feel a bit more solid & I also like the fact that they hang below the strap, where the Bullmans are just above the strap. So the Cranfords are closer to being level with my platform, but still slightly higher. They are a little heavier than the Bullmans and I do have a small bungee strap crossed over each one so they don't slide on the strap and clank into one another, but I can still slide them to move where I want on the strap.

Back