• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

After I kill a deer it takes me a couple days to get back into it

Andrew920

SH Member
Anyone else have this phenomenon? First let me say I’m not a killer of booners, nor am I hugely experienced. I killed 5 deer last year with my bow and I’ve killed 3 this year so far. I love bow hunting and archery, shoot year round. But I’ve noticed that for up to a week or so after a kill one the drive to get out and hunt leaves me. Anyone else have that happen?

Anyone else have this phenomenon? First let me say I’m not a killer of booners, nor am I hugely experienced. I killed 5 deer last year with my bow and I’ve killed 3 this year so far. I love bow hunting and archery, shoot year round. But I’ve noticed that for up to a week or so after a kill one the drive to get out and hunt leaves me. Anyone else have that happen?
I'm the same way.
Takes be about two days.......or a picture of a giant on camera lol.

Last two years I felt this. Took a month off after shooting a buck in 2021 and again after shooting a doe in 2022. Weirdly I kept consuming hunting media and shooting my bow and such, just didn’t go hunt. Then I shot a big buck at the end of last year and it was the exact opposite. I couldn’t wait to get back at it and did a week later. Same with the doe I just shot two days ago; I’m chomping at the bit to get back out and hunt. That said, I always pack my gear up quite neatly after a kill. Like a total reset. Backpack, saddle, tree gear, bow stuff, everything gets put where it started the season. It’s a compulsive thing I think, like I’ve done the thing I set out to do so now I clean it up for the next time. Kinda weird tho if I’m being honest about myself.

Get yourself some type XL cooler. One that can hold a couple deer or hang em in a cool spot like a shed or something.
Killing a deer this time of year can pull you out of the meat when it's the best time of year to be hunting.
Then spend one day butchering and packing.

I felt like that last year after killing my buck the first weekend in November. I didn't hunt at all the next weekend, and barely hunted during our 9 day rifle season. I spent opening morning driving around scouting how many trucks were in various parking areas. Hunted with my bow again some during December, but spent more time scouting new areas for this season.

I don’t know about you guys but I believe we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to succeed and then when we do it’s a relief. I think we need some of the relief for a bit. Especially if we shot a nice buck or how hard we worked to get on to one. The other side is dealing with the meat.

I feel a huge amount of relief after killing a deer, but it doesn’t stop my desire to hunt. After the first one I tend to take a day off to celebrate. But then I get back after it. I’m usually a better hunter after the first one; instead of pushing toward my goal I’m able to relax enough to hunt smart: scouting more than hunting and picking the optimal days and times to strike.

Get yourself some type XL cooler. One that can hold a couple deer or hang em in a cool spot like a shed or something.
Killing a deer this time of year can pull you out of the meat when it's the best time of year to be hunting.
Then spend one day butchering and packing.

Exactly

A couple of my buddies have purchased used sliding door coolers (restauraunt/gas station style) from FB marketplace and they have the quarters in to dry age while they keep hunting.

I'm going to have to do that as I finish this garage renovation.

Have you seen a doctor yet?

I have seen guys with that condition but have fortunately been able to avoid it.

I’ll go right back that evening or next morning and hunt like it’s the first hunt the season. Work meat during the week after work and be ready to go the next time I’m available. I’m tagged out for the area I hunt but I honestly don’t need any more meat either so I don’t know how much more I’ll hunt this year in another state. If I do it’ll take a hell of a buck to get me to pull trigger. I’m sure I’ll be stir crazy by the end of season though and be right out there sitting just to sit. lol.

Everyone reacts differently im sure. sometimes I take a day or 2 off if it was a really taxing recovery etc, but other times I get right back out there. ITs almost a free hunt to me with zero pressure to kill anything cuz I just killed one yesterday or the day before. those are actually my favorite hunts. I feel like me scouting is at its best when im really not worried about bumping one or screwing up my hunt.

I'm from a one buck state. I think every year I've killed a buck I've been tagged out on does. During those years I was pumped to get back out after a buck.

This year I shot a buck defore getting a doe and I'm experience the same thing. Just no rush to get back out and go through the process. I'm really looking forward to going out in a couple weeks on a nice evening and hunting casually for a doe though.

I typically don't go back out until I have the deer I shot butchered and in the freezer, unless I'm hanging it somewhere. Usually takes me a day or two and back at it!

Back