• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aiders; moveable or stationary

Pastorjim

I'm going to use aiders this year on my sticks and I'm just wondering which type do y'all prefer. I see advantages and disadvantages to both. I really like the moveable type but I'm not sure if i'd like fooling with it in the dark. So what say you?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I can make a case for either, if you go movable you have more flexibility if it’s not for you. Get one of these & you won’t regret it!

The hook is easy to fish down & hook on your bottom step when descending

Ur physical ability will help dictate....imo an aider u carry up with u is much more versatile. Sucks climbing down.... I strongly suggest u learn to rappel regardless of climbing method....it makes things so much easier and less time consuming. I also recommend smaller step spacing/more steps vs trying to stretch things out to gain a little extra height....

I've been practicing with this one and it works great with the Amsteel loop popping off the versa button by itself.

X2 what @Weldabeast says. Reppel down. Go fixed. I have a movable from back woods used on my hawks. All it ever did was get snagged on stuff on the way up. Was extra painful in the dark. Dropped it once and was able to reach big to get down. No fun. Might be easier to use if you only had 2 steps. But man, that thing would catch on anything and in the dark I had no idea what. The elastic safety cord would just stretch and then pull tight.

I bought a two step fixed aider in the classifies and I sure glad I did! I move mine up while I climb up the tree. My beast sticks I use also have cable aiders. I can now get 24 feet with 3 sticks. I am in pretty good shape and train to make hunting easier for myself but that will be my go to climbing method for this season. Once at the top I put it in my pack.

Lots of way to climb. Putting the toe into the tree does not work for me. I use two Swaiders, I loop the amsteel on the steps. I side step up the tree as if I was using tree steps.
To keep the aiders from getting tangled, I have a long piece of bungee that I wrap over my neck. I run this bungee under the waist belt of my saddle. I wrap the two toggle balls around my knees keeping the aiders close to my body.

Attachments

• 20210603_150044-1.jpg
    20210603_150044-1.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 18
I like a movable aider. Main reason you would have aiders swaying in the breeze.

I agree with the rappel down. Climbing down aiders kinda sucks.

Back