• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel Attachment for Squirrel Steps

SWVAturkeyhunter

Vendor Rep
I found this video the other night of this gentleman using amsteel and a loop alien to attach squirrel steps to the tree. In a comment he left on the video he states that he feels it’s unsafe as the loop alien isn’t weight rated and I totally understand that sentiment. But I don’t know if it would actually BE unsafe or if it was added as only a disclaimer. He states that he feels the titanium version of the loop alien is less safe than the aluminum one as well???? Personally I feel like the left over rope needs to be secured better than just a couple extra wraps around the metal piece. If the general consensus of the group is that this would in fact work and be ok, then I’m all for getting some more amsteel, a couple of the tighteners and doing this. But if y’all don’t think this would work, could you provide direction on something that WOULD work with amsteel in place of the loop alien? This would significantly reduce the amount of bulk in my pack over using flat hook straps and an OCB latch. Thanks for your input!

Todd Perkins
-Regional Prostaff Manager for Mossy Oak
-Trophyline Treesaddle Brand Ambassador
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there was a guy on facebook doing a timber hitch with slotted squirrel steps. looked like a lot of fiddling per step though.

Thanks man! I didn’t know that this had been discussed previously. This was helpful.

Todd Perkins
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member

I’m reviving this thread because I just saw the video. I’m hoping somebody might have a suggestion on what other device could be used in place of the loop alien?

I’m hoping that my negative Nancy attitude that a way to attach a squirrel step to a tree Without a buckle, tight enough to not kill me, Doesn’t exist, will someone to figure it out...

but, I firmly believe you ain’t getting a squirrel step tight enough to the tree without the ocb. I want to be wrong!

Edit - without any Buckle, I’m including that device in buckle category. But, that’s pretty slick. I’m listening....

I’m hoping that my negative Nancy attitude that a way to attach a squirrel step to a tree Without a buckle, tight enough to not kill me, Doesn’t exist, will sour someone to figure it out...

but, I firmly believe you ain’t getting a squirrel step tight enough to the tree without the ocb. I want to be wrong!

Is this tight enough to climb out for an ocb? I’m just climbing with mine. I like the idea of losing that bill from the ocb

Edited after watching video

For climbing I think it’s tight enough. I just wonder if there is something that can be weight rated. Like a quick link? Or maybe somebody can machine these out of thicker blanks?

For climbing I think it’s tight enough. I just wonder if there is something that can be weight rated. Like a quick link? Or maybe somebody can machine these out of thicker blanks?

starting at half the weight of a cranford, that's a great start. @DanO - can your machinist make us a thicker blank? or a steel one? rubber coated?

off to research this device...

Apparently there is a steel one available. Still not sure if it would ever function to be load bearing.

starting at half the weight of a cranford, that's a great start. @DanO - can your machinist make us a thicker blank? or a steel one? rubber coated?

off to research this device...

Yes! I agree. @DanO can you see what you all can come up with?!?

Todd Perkins

Here we go!

The problem with a trucker's hitch is that you can't grab the rope and complete the hitch, without loosening the rope around the tree.

You end up almost as tight as you can get with a timber hitch. Which isn't enough to keep a squirrel step against the tree. At least in my experience...

The problem with a trucker's hitch is that you can't grab the rope and complete the hitch, without loosening the rope around the tree.

You end up almost as tight as you can get with a timber hitch. Which isn't enough to keep a squirrel step against the tree. At least in my experience...

Did you watch the video?

Seems like a ring, screw link, or a chain link could replace the Alien to be more rope friendly, clove or girth hitched to the cord. If you’re attached somehow to the tree while using these, it would seem like they are just aids to climbing and don’t need to be strong enough for life support?

Ok, I’ll jump in here. It was my video in the original post. My claim about being unsafe has not stopped me from using the XL Ti Loop Aliens in this capacity. I am comfortable with the risk and I am always tethered. I don’t ever climb with just a lineman’s belt.

As far as other methods, I actually started out using a descender ring/trucker’s hitch. The Loop Alien works better.

Caveat: when I say that these methods ‘work’, I am only referring to climbing/applying straight down pressure. It will NOT tolerate any side pressure.

I have been using 3/16” Amsteel with a Timber Hitch for my Ridge Runner and Scout Solo for the last couple of weeks. It works great-including side pressure. I haven’t tried it with steps, though. Maybe tomorrow...

Edit: I forgot to add that I have also done the automatic tension truckers hitch in the video above. It occasionally would release without warning. Not sure why. Sometimes it held great.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll jump in here. It was my video in the original post. My claim about being unsafe has not stopped me from using the XL Ti Loop Aliens in this capacity. I am comfortable with the risk and I am always tethered. I don’t ever climb with just a lineman’s belt.

As far as other methods, I actually started out using a descender ring/trucker’s hitch. The Loop Alien works better.

Caveat: when I say that these methods ‘work’, I am only referring to climbing/applying straight down pressure. It will NOT tolerate any side pressure.

I have been using 3/16” Amsteel with a Timber Hitch for my Ridge Runner and Scout Solo for the last couple of weeks. It works great-including side pressure. I haven’t tried it with steps, though. Maybe tomorrow...

Edit: I forgot to add that I have also done the automatic tension truckers hitch in the video above. It occasionally would release without warning. Not sure why. Sometimes it held great.

Would it release without warning on steps? Platform? Both?

Also, you haven’t tried squirrel steps with just a timber hitch? Is that correct?

Back