• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel (sure it’s been asked, can’t find a definitive)

jcassell207

Good evening fellow saddle hunters! I’m that guy (new to saddle hunting) and trying to get a idea and thoughts…..

I recently purchased the Hawk Helium 20” sticks! I am looking at doing the rope mod. Looking at the 1/8” Amsteel for my straps. Breaking strength looks to be 2500#. So, are people not using this because it’s very thin? Doesn’t hold on the versa button well?

i notice they make aiders for the HH sticks and they are made out of the 1/8” amsteel (trust it to step up on, but not to secure your sticks to the tree)?

Appreciate any input!

I tried finding a thread to link for you but can’t find it. As far as I’ve read, 8mm rope is a good option. Part of the key to the rope mod is using the thickness of the rope to lock in the “knot.”

Yep - I have been using 7/64 Amsteel daisy chain for 2 years without issue.

I just got some 1/4” and will put it on my stick when my fid gets here. 7700# may be overkill, but even that big it seems to weigh nothing.

On disadvantage to the thinner amsteel, such as 7/64 is that it is so light it can be tricky to get around the tree. The thicker amsteel has a bit more weight to it making it easier to swing around the tree.

Honestly though, either 7mm or 8mm accessory rope works great for what you’re wanting to do, is cheaper than the amsteel, plus you can just tie it on and go. The amsteel either has to be made into a full bury to work right and that takes a bit.

With that said, I run 1/8” amsteel daisy chains on my Hawk Heliums because of the multiple ways you can tie them in. Gives me lots of options to get the stick just right.

I use 7/64 but I run a full bury through it. It makes it more rigid and easier to toss/hand around the tree.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

So, i guess i should clarify. I’m wanting to use just the rope, not the daisy chains. I understand the lightness, but i can modify that…

I just got some 1/4” and will put it on my stick when my fid gets here. 7700# may be overkill, but even that big it seems to weigh nothing.

You are waiting on a fid? Make one from a knitting needle; hack off the end and sand it to whatever smoothness you are happy with.
Better yet, buy a roll of some quasi-heavy gauge wire and you'll never need a fid again.

The only advantage to using a fid is that it is a (length) measuring device not just for burying the splice. When splicing amsteel I just use the T.L.A.R. method that I learned in the Marine Corps, which roughly translates to: That Looks About Right...

IMo smaller diameter rope is a better option...Amsteel is cool for about a season then they are all frizzy and grab/grip the bark too easily making it a pain in the butt.

Screenshot_20211027-080213~2.png

Last edited:
You are waiting on a fid? Make one from a knitting needle; hack off the end and sand it to whatever smoothness you are happy with.
Better yet, buy a roll of some quasi-heavy gauge wire and you'll never need a fid again.

The only advantage to using a fid is that it is a (length) measuring device not just for burying the splice. When splicing amsteel I just use the T.L.A.R. method that I learned in the Marine Corps, which roughly translates to: That Looks About Right...
So what your saying is, I can go ahead and just stick a pair of hemostats through it backwards, grab the end I want and pull it through? I’ve got cam cleats so I’m gonna run the bite through the long holes on the sticks. I plan to run the bite through both holes, which are about 1/4-1/2” apart. Then just do a typical, maybe little longer bury, but not full. I’ve sanded the holes and there are no sharp edges. Any issues using amsteel with cam cleats?

Anyone using amsteel with cam cleats? They really smash it good on a quick test, but the 1/4” held good, no stretching. Didn’t have any problems with the 6mm rope I was using, but the amsteel is pretty sweet….hoping it’s gonna be good with the cleat….I’ll keep an eye on it, but would love someone to chime in with any experience on it.

Edit. I double checked and I'm using 1/8 amsteel not 7/64 with a full bury. The bury helps the rope from being crushed. There are a few threads about this full bury.

I know I found a cam cleat that is rated for this size rope and is also beefier than the standard plastic cam cleat. I just don't know which brand/model it is.

Last edited:
Saw this video on another thread while searching for the full bury threads. He has the cam cleat break while setting it at hunting height. I think it is worth a watch.

Hopefully link works from another post on full bury amsteel.

Saw this video on another thread while searching for the full bury threads. He has the cam cleat break while setting it at hunting height. I think it is worth a watch.

For clarification, that is a clam cleat that fails in the video, not a cam cleat. It is my understanding that Out on A Limb has quit using he Clam Cleats.

So he was using the 1/8” amsteel, but the cleat recommended a different size rope is what I’m gathering?
It also looked like he put A LOT of weight to set his platform.

Back