• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

An Engineer Tackles The Mechanics Of Arrow Penetration (Videos)

With regards to downrange effectiveness, Troy was already ahead of this back in 2021. He did testing with Doppler radar showing how heavier arrows maintain KE further than lighter arrows.
Ha, and Dr Ed was telling us this stuff in the 1980s. But it's nice to hear some confirmation from other sources.

It seems common sense to me that the main reason for lack of penetration is because the target is moving....take a punch standing ridged and square on the chin and u are in trouble but if u roll with that same punch it can turn into just a glancing blow or at best, with much less power connecting
But that is something we have little control over, other than to shoot the quietest bow possible.

Since switching over to heavies the worst penetration I've had was on the smallest critter. I shot a tiny piglet and the way that thing was ducking and rolling and the timing of the arrows entrance during that duck and roll the tiny little 2 or 3 pound pig took it like a champ and carried the arrow (but broadhead was sticking out the other side). Everything else has been total pass thru shooting thru hog shields and deer jaw bones... :innocent:

Back