• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another LWHC failure

HugeBull

So, I started up a white oak last night and realized that my LWHC was broken, and I think it broke on my last hunt, not this one.

Last hunt, I was about 25-30 feet up a sweetgum and noticed some popping noises from my stand but ignored it. I had my seat cushion under my feet so could not see the metal. Then I came down after dark, packed up and went home. I didn't notice the problem when I packed up to head out yesterday, but I was in a hurry.

So, I hike in, set my tether, and climb on to the LWHC. Oh, $%^&! I am glad that I noticed this just feet off the ground, but now I am in a good spot with no platform, grrrr. So, I played the stupid card and used it anyway, just went only about 15 feet up. (I had a second rope to two tether in an emergency...) I have to admit that the stand held up fine but I was babying it, trying to keep weight off the broken areas.

Details: I weigh only about 145 lbs. The outside metal frame of the stand is broken a bit left of center and the next inner web is broken roughly the same distance from the left side (about 5.5"). Hairline cracks in the stand are nearly invisible when there is no weight on the stand, so I understand how I overlooked it. My LWHC is only two years old and has never spent a night outside. I hunted out of it exclusively last season, shot elevated in the off season, and have had probably a dozen sits in it this year. Temps were in the low forties on both hunts described, so no freezing temps when the break occurred.

Overall, I had been very pleased with using my LWHC as a platform, but now I am going to have to find another solution. Basically, I have been one-sticking with it, as I can get a lot more distance in one quiet move, so it won't take much effort for me to get proficient with a one-stick set-up. I also two tether and SRT, so climbing is not a big question for me. However, I really like a larger platform, so ROS and stick top platforms are out. Hmm, what will I do? Especially, when shipping on new stuff is so backed up? I guess I'll check out the classifieds, but I ain't holding my breath on that either. I think this is a mid season screw...

BrokenLWHC.jpg

So, I started up a white oak last night and realized that my LWHC was broken, and I think it broke on my last hunt, not this one.

Last hunt, I was about 25-30 feet up a sweetgum and noticed some popping noises from my stand but ignored it. I had my seat cushion under my feet so could not see the metal. Then I came down after dark, packed up and went home. I didn't notice the problem when I packed up to head out yesterday, but I was in a hurry.

So, I hike in, set my tether, and climb on to the LWHC. Oh, $%^&! I am glad that I noticed this just feet off the ground, but now I am in a good spot with no platform, grrrr. So, I played the stupid card and used it anyway, just went only about 15 feet up. (I had a second rope to two tether in an emergency...) I have to admit that the stand held up fine but I was babying it, trying to keep weight off the broken areas.

Details: I weigh only about 145 lbs. The outside metal frame of the stand is broken a bit left of center and the next inner web is broken roughly the same distance from the left side (about 5.5"). Hairline cracks in the stand are nearly invisible when there is no weight on the stand, so I understand how I overlooked it. My LWHC is only two years old and has never spent a night outside. I hunted out of it exclusively last season, shot elevated in the off season, and have had probably a dozen sits in it this year. Temps were in the low forties on both hunts described, so no freezing temps when the break occurred.

Overall, I had been very pleased with using my LWHC as a platform, but now I am going to have to find another solution. Basically, I have been one-sticking with it, as I can get a lot more distance in one quiet move, so it won't take much effort for me to get proficient with a one-stick set-up. I also two tether and SRT, so climbing is not a big question for me. However, I really like a larger platform, so ROS and stick top platforms are out. Hmm, what will I do? Especially, when shipping on new stuff is so backed up? I guess I'll check out the classifieds, but I ain't holding my breath on that either. I think this is a mid season screw...

View attachment 56383

I had the exact same thing happen to mine a few weeks ago. I have gone back to platform climbing and in some ways like it better. I would keep your eyes out for a larger platform in the classifieds and put a two step aider on it.

Now that I type this out I wonder if the aider on my LWHC caused the failure? When you stand on the platform it flexes down but when you’re on the aider the center must flex up. I bet the cumulative flexing broke the casting. I’m only 165lbs and can’t understand how mine broke in one season.

Assuming you have a cam cleat, does that lock your up/stick tight enough to tree to just use it or is it loose hints why you use ros as well? I cant put any side lean on a cam cleated stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you have a cam cleat, does that lock your up/stick tight enough to tree to just use it or is it loose hints why you use ros as well? I cant put any side lean on a cam cleated stick

I one stick with a U.P. on the top of the stick. If you set the stick properly, it locks incredibly tight. Staggs in the Wild on YouTube has a video on the UP.

This makes me sad. I have been using a LWHC for two seasons now and love it. I weigh around 215.
This reinforces my wish that someone will come out with a good climbing platform.
If there are any manufacturers listening, PM me. I have a list of ‘must haves’ for the perfect solution.

This is exactly why I've ditched cast products and do not understand the infatuation with them by the hunting community. Too many failures compared to other materials, but we still do not have a saddle specific climbing platform, just more cast copies and versions of the same old.

View attachment 56383
Would you be interested is selling? I ask bc I would like to make a climbing platform. I have made all my platforms I've used so far.

This is exactly why I've ditched cast products and do not understand the infatuation with them by the hunting community. Too many failures compared to other materials, but we still do not have a saddle specific climbing platform, just more cast copies and versions of the same old.

Exactly. I hope someone has started working on the climbing platform now in hopes it will be available and delivered by 2023

This makes me sad. I have been using a LWHC for two seasons now and love it. I weigh around 215.
This reinforces my wish that someone will come out with a good climbing platform.
If there are any manufacturers listening, PM me. I have a list of ‘must haves’ for the perfect solution.

I love mine too! Right now I weigh 265 lbs and this is my second year with it. I've heard of this issue so I have an extra one just in case.

Dang…y’all should be getting a free replacement! I have cam cleats with 1/4” amsteel(standard bury, not full)and have no problems putting side pressure on the top of my sticks. I’m using a hawk full size platform with either a 36” stick or a 20” with the small platform on top……both sticks have cam cleats and 1/4” amsteel. FWIW, I Cinch them down as tight as I can first, then the rest of the time I’m as light footed as possible.

I loved my LWHC last year.
I did the bolt mod, and it worked great for 15-20 hunts. It cracked between my feet, on the front edge. But I hunted out of it the next day and killed my buck out of it. This year I bought a new one and did the rope mod instead.
I hunted out of it one time early season so far, worked fine.
I packed it in two miles Saturday for our rifle quota hunt, hooked it up ready to start climbing.
As I was tightening the foot strap, it snapped in half. Leaving me dangling from my tether, but only 2 ft off of the ground.
Thank god I wasn’t 20 ft when this thing broke.
there wasn’t any warning, it just buckled under my feet.
I won’t be going back to one, but I am anxiously waiting on someone to build a purpose built climber platform for saddle hunting.
I loved this thing, and it was my favorite method for its dual purpose functionality.

SOMEONE BUILD US A DAMN CLIMBER ALREADY!!!!

I loved my LWHC last year.
I did the bolt mod, and it worked great for 15-20 hunts. It cracked between my feet, on the front edge. But I hunted out of it the next day and killed my buck out of it. This year I bought a new one and did the rope mod instead.
I hunted out of it one time early season so far, worked fine.
I packed it in two miles Saturday for our rifle quota hunt, hooked it up ready to start climbing.
As I was tightening the foot strap, it snapped in half. Leaving me dangling from my tether, but only 2 ft off of the ground.
Thank god I wasn’t 20 ft when this thing broke.
there wasn’t any warning, it just buckled under my feet.
I won’t be going back to one, but I am anxiously waiting on someone to build a purpose built climber platform for saddle hunting.
I loved this thing, and it was my favorite method for its dual purpose functionality.

SOMEONE BUILD US A DAMN CLIMBER ALREADY!!!!

Dang that sucks. I have a back up just in case my first one breaks. I also have a lightweight (Amsteel) 2TC system on me at all times in case I have to bail.
I wonder how many of those that have broken were from guys that tighten them to the tree (OCB/ratchet) when at hunting height. I never have mine locked down to the tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dang that sucks. I have a back up just in case my first one breaks. I also have a lightweight (Amsteel) 2TC system on me at all times in case I have to bail.
I wonder how many of those that have broken were from guys that tighten them to the tree (OCB/ratchet) when at hunting height. I never have mine locked down to the tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When I used mine, I loosened my foot strap, and wrapped it around the tree.
After last year, I never tightened it anymore.
This break happened on the second time attached to the tree, and hadn’t even gotten my feet strapped in yet.
Been wondering how much it would cost to have one milled out of a solid block to the same specs…. Probably a billion dollars.

Dang…y’all should be getting a free replacement! I have cam cleats with 1/4” amsteel(standard bury, not full)and have no problems putting side pressure on the top of my sticks. I’m using a hawk full size platform with either a 36” stick or a 20” with the small platform on top……both sticks have cam cleats and 1/4” amsteel. FWIW, I Cinch them down as tight as I can first, then the rest of the time I’m as light footed as possible.
The instructions are clear that you're not supposed to stand on the seat. So everyone (including me as I use a LWHC seat to climb sometimes) is using it outside the designed intent. So they're not going to replace it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

yep, i watched a video on how climbing carabiners are made by bending a solid billet of aluminum of a certain grade/composition and then heat treating/forging/pressing.....all kinds of stuff i might be getting wrong....it was just impressive

then you have the "i'll just pour some molten aluminum in this mold thingie, let it cool, and call it good"

casting is done for the same reason everyone wants to make stuff out of spliced amsteel....it's an easier and cheaper way to get a product that is passable and looks decently impressive

Back