• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any interest in a SRT video?

JCLINE84

Vendor Rep
Hey guys, according to my inbox and the post I made with the rappelling video there was a lot of questions and interest in how to rappel down after a hunt. I was thinking about making an in depth SRT video if that's something you guys and girls need help with. Just post any questions you have here and I'll try to address them all in a video sometime this weekend.

I am absolutely interested. My son and I are new to all this, and are looking to enlarge our tree ascending and descending skills.
Links to whatever devices and rope etc that you recommend are appreciated.
Your saddle specific rappel demo was very clear and we're looking forward to the SRT video.

Yes. The short video you made was very helpful.
Thank You, after I posted it I thought that I should have gone into more detail and made a longer video. I'll try to be way more detailed with the SRT video

Really enjoyed the short video that you made. Nice and short overview.
An in-depth look at all the pieces and putting it all together with a full climb and decend with rope retrieval would be cool to see to.

I like how you kept the system simple and affordable especially for a "hobbiest" who only climbs trees in the fall/winter.

Should we only be using static rope for rappeling versus Dynamic rope?

Dry rope over non dry and durability of the rope?

What is the deterioration rate of the rope and the number of rappels over time?

How does cold weather(water/snow/frost and or icing) affect rappels and ropes?

What should we do to maintain our ropes and gear in the off season?

The different belay devices that can be used such as the smooth or teeth styled act for more or less friction. What is preferred for this type of rappel?

What are the safety tips?

I realize that most of this could be googled and dependent on multiple variables but it'd be nice to hear it all lumped into one video.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences with us!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would love to see a video.

Real in field footage for me is much more useful than typed instructions.

@celestialproduct Haha you have asked a lot of questions over my pay grade but I'll try to answer a few here. You want to use a static rope for all saddle hunting purposes. The best way to maintain your ropes are to keep them as clean and dry as you can, inspect them for wear, and store them in a dry climate controled place when not in use. As far as life of your ropes, I used one for the past two seasons and its still like new so I would imagine they would last a very long time but I honestly haven't looked into this. If your rope shows signs of major wear its time for a new rope.

For ATC devices you can use whatever your prefer, the autoblock does more for the grip on your rope than the teeth on the atc device does. It makes for a smooth controlled descent. Without it you are at the mercy of gravity and your grip on the tag end of the rope.

I havent found weather to have an effect on rappelling because the rope stays inside my pack until I am ready to rappel down.

I have access to a lot of climbing gear because I live in the Red River Gorge but I realize that most of it is too expensive to buy just for the sake of hunting purposes so I tried to show the basic and cheaper way to do it. It just so happens that is the safest way as well. Always use your linemans belt when setting up your rappel gear then just gradually take your weight off the linemans belt and transfer to the rappel setup like I did in the video.

The whole video with me explaining each step is 6:34 minutes. I did a 25 foot climb on another tree right after this and timed it from start to finish and it took me just under 4 minutes to be at hunting height so it's a really fast climbing system. Sorry for the bad audio. Shot this on my cell phone and it was windy today.

That's just what I was looking for. I found the audio to be fine.
What can you tell me about the rope? Brand, type, size?
Many thanks for this saddle specific SRT tutorial.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRN
I use 9mm sterling htp but any 9-11mm static climbing rated rope will work

Great video! So you can use that for your tether also? No need for a linemans belt either. Does it take about allot of effort to climb with that method? You make it look easy.

Alright JCLINE84, I've got everything you suggested on the way. The group of men I hunt with has viewed your tutorial and we hope to be practicing before next weekend. As my son pointed out, even if we don't adopt SRT as a hunting method, it will serve as an aid should we have to do some kind of rescue for whatever reason. Over the last 23 years we've had two incidences where folks got in a bind in the tree and needed assistance. We managed to pull it off with a lot of prayer and coaching. I can see how being able to get up into the tree and work along side an individual in distress would be very useful.

Back