• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any other gear heads out there?

deleted_user04

I have it bad. I love to buy and try new hunting products. I'm constantly searching online for new ideas and gear to try out. I've had some flops and some super cool gear. If I find a certain item that is a game changer in my bag, I buy several of that item to ensure I will always have it.

Yep. I make a fairly decent wage. So I stay broke buying hunting gear. Nah. I do alot a good bit for top of the line gear each year. I find it to be fun.

That's a good idea. In the hunting industry, if it is good they stop making it!

Yep. When I finally made enough to buy some of the higher end stuff I wanted, it came off the market....or it was so successful that prices outpaced inflation.

Ironically, I missed killer deals on the LW Assassin, Browning BPR, Heym SR30, when they "failed" in US markets. And the Blaser R8 blew up in price.

And now that Loc-on is back, I'm too heavy.

But some new options are great, and I'm getting ahead of it, lol.

I have it bad. I love to buy and try new hunting products. I'm constantly searching online for new ideas and gear to try out. I've had some flops and some super cool gear. If I find a certain item that is a game changer in my bag, I buy several of that item to ensure I will always have it.

Got boots? Heard of Lathrop and Sons?

Got boots? Heard of Lathrop and Sons?

I just bought a pair of their boots. Dang..488.00 but after standing all day in them my feet doesn't hurt and the soles are so stiff that standing on a thin platform edge is like standing on the ground. I'm looking forward to really breaking them in next season.

I just bought a pair of their boots. Dang..488.00 but after standing all day in them my feet doesn't hurt and the soles are so stiff that standing on a thin platform edge is like standing on the ground. I'm looking forward to really breaking them in next season.

I'm glad to hear it, because I am signed up for their foot mapping and boot customization program. When they disclosed the projected overall cost, my jaw about hit the floor. Not for the feint of heart. I'm definitely taking a leap of faith on this one.

I'm glad to hear it, because I am signed up for their foot mapping and boot customization program. When they disclosed the projected overall cost, my jaw about hit the floor. Not for the feint of heart. I'm definitely taking a leap of faith on this one.

I couldn't rationalize spending up to 1000.00 for custom hunting boots since I'm not a mountain hunter. I am diabetic and I need a sole/platform that is rigid to the point when I stand on the edge of a platform 10+ hours a hunt that I don't feel it in my feet for days on end.

I couldn't rationalize spending up to 1000.00 for custom hunting boots since I'm not a mountain hunter. I am diabetic and I need a sole/platform that is rigid to the point when I stand on the edge of a platform 10+ hours a hunt that I don't feel it in my feet for days on end.

I can rationalize it pretty easily...cheaper than a trip to Italy to get boots...way less than those 60acres I've been eyeing...etc, etc.

But I don't necessarily like it or think it's necessary or a good value. I can buy and try and get footbeds that will probably eventually get close enough for half that.

But, I don't think its a scam either. And they'll have some work to do with my portfolio. My feet are about a full size difference.

Won't know until it's over. I am feeling a little sheepish about the consultation, l'm a fish out of water compared to their usual clientele.

I can rationalize it pretty easily...cheaper than a trip to Italy to get boots...way less than those 60acres I've been eyeing...etc, etc.

But I don't necessarily like it or think it's necessary or a good value. I can buy and try and get footbeds that will probably eventually get close enough for half that.

But, I don't think its a scam either. And they'll have some work to do with my portfolio. My feet are about a full size difference.

Won't know until it's over. I am feeling a little sheepish about the consultation, l'm a fish out of water compared to their usual clientele.

I live in Illinois about 1 1/2 hours from his shop. I went there to pick his brain and he answered every question I had.

Back