• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any Other Reloaders On Here?

brydan

I'm starting to unpack all my reloading equipment after being in boxes for a couple yrs after my divorce and wondering how many other reloaders there are here.

I was fortunate to have learned the basics from my dad going on 30 yrs ago now and while I've come and gone from shooting a few times over the years, reloading has always been one of my favorite hobbies. So far though it's almost entirely been rifle reloading, very little pistol and no shotshell loading.

The impetus to dig my gear out again is recently picking up a new to me 357 Herrett pistol barrel for my Contender and a 30 BR rifle barrel for a 700. The biggest deer I've taken was with a 357 Herrett in a 10" Contender and while I really liked the round it wasn't an especially accurate barrel as Contenders go so it got sold a couple yrs ago knowing I'd look for a better one down the road. I stumbled on a nice MGM barrel recently so that ended being the replacement.

A friend of mine is an accomplished benchrest shooter and he's gotten me interested in shooting some SRBR score matches. I don't have the coin right now to do the headfirst dive into BR shooting but wouldn't mind shooting a few matches and learning a few things along the way. I found a good price on a used 30 BR barrel that I can run for awhile to get my feet wet. The barrel should be here in a couple days.

Looking forward to dusting off my gear and diving into a couple new projects. What is everyone else doing these days?

I have a buddy that has offered to help me learn. I need to take him up on it. I bought a 1953 Wingmaster (original production year:)) that I want to use as my designated duck gun, but it's a 16 gauge! Kinda troublesome to find factory steel loads for it, but it's a sweet little creek shooter. I'd like to see what could be whipped up for it.

I reload but its been a while. The bench just seems to collect other stuff until I can't reload anymore until I clear space again. ;-) I have a Dillon 550 and a Forster Co-Ax for single stage precision stuff.

I reload for rifle and a few handguns. I don’t do it often. I have a range at my old house which is an hour away. There’s a range here that I pay to be a member of but it’s just not as fun as my personal range. I like to move and shoot from field positions. Only time I like to shoot paper is working up loads and sighting in scopes.

Nice press set-up! One for precision, one for production. I've wanted a co-ax for years but just never gotten around to pulling the trigger on one. I still use the same Rock Chucker I started with and an arbor press for hand dies.

I dabble in shotgun re-loading, its not as hard as you think, especially if you have a progressive re-loader. I am set up for 12ga and 28ga. i want to get a 20ga unit but dont shoot much 20 ga. these days.

I never got into pistol/ rifle rounds, but shotgun is fun and my wife even learned.

I reload for my 6.5x55 Swede. 1917 Carl Gustavstad Mauser. I have a load worked up for it that will print 5/8-3/4” 5 shot groups @100 yards. For a 101 year old gun it is an absolute dream to shoot. I have a Criterion barrel ordered for my 700 in the same caliber so I can boost pressures in the modern action and bring the light recoiling super accurate round to life. It will hammer game with a 140 Nosler in the old Mauser action just wanting to get the potential it has to offer.

9MM
45ACP
.300 BO
.300 WM

But since work has gotten crazy and ammo got cheap, not so much reloading recently.

Getting back into it for a few of my rifles 22-250, .260 Remington, and will be starting new work with 300 Blk, 338 Federal. Handgun rounds in 9mm and .40 just doesn't work out cost wise for me with the time involved.

I cast my own bullets and reload my own ammo. Love it and really enjoy the process. I reload for 9mm, .40, 45acp, 30-06, 30-30, 44 mag, and soon to be 445 supermagnum!

I reload for all my rifles and handguns. Some of my rifles are chambered for wildcat cartridges like Ackley and Gibbs. These aren’t available as factory loaded cartridges or even factory manufacturers brass.

Getting back into it for a few of my rifles 22-250, .260 Remington, and will be starting new work with 300 Blk, 338 Federal. Handgun rounds in 9mm and .40 just doesn't work out cost wise for me with the time involved.
What loads have you tried in 338 federal? I just acquired a tikka and haven’t made it to bench yet. I saw some loads with BL-C2 that posted decent velocities.

Been seriously contemplating it since I started shooting 450bm this year, and my son decided my .357mag lever gun was his favorite. Ugh. If anyone knows of a good source for information on how to get into it, etc., that'd be nice to see.

What loads have you tried in 338 federal? I just acquired a tikka and haven’t made it to bench yet. I saw some loads with BL-C2 that posted decent velocities.

Haven't ordered dies yet and just getting reloading room set up after moving. Actually going to sight the gun in as soon as momma wakes up to watch the youngen... Will be trying out Federal factory ammo in 185 and 200 grain.

Haven't ordered dies yet and just getting reloading room set up after moving. Actually going to sight the gun in as soon as momma wakes up to watch the youngen... Will be trying out Federal factory ammo in 185 and 200 grain.
I have fired two boxes of factory through my tikka but will not start load developing until the spring. The factory ammo I fired was Federal fusion 200 and Federal premium vital shock 200. The fusion grouped tighter than the premium. I just read my first post and should have worded that differently. I have not made it to the reloading table but have been to the range with factory ammunition.

Last edited:
I have a Criterion barrel ordered for my 700 in the same caliber so I can boost pressures in the modern action and bring the light recoiling super accurate round to life

Nice! Are you doing that as a Remage barrel?

I cast my own bullets and reload my own ammo. Love it and really enjoy the process. I reload for 9mm, .40, 45acp, 30-06, 30-30, 44 mag, and soon to be 445 supermagnum!

445 Supermag, that's a good round you don't hear to much about these days. What are you going to be shooting it out of? I've long wanted to do 375 Supermag for deer hunting in a Contender but have never gotten around to it.

Nice! Are you doing that as a Remage barrel?

445 Supermag, that's a good round you don't hear to much about these days. What are you going to be shooting it out of? I've long wanted to do 375 Supermag for deer hunting in a Contender but have never gotten around to it.

I’m getting ready to mail in a CVA 44 mag single shot rifle to a gun smith. It will be for deer hunting. already got the brass ordered as well.

I’m getting ready to mail in a CVA 44 mag single shot rifle to a gun smith. It will be for deer hunting. already got the brass ordered as well.

Good project! I've never shot one of those CVA's but handling them in the store they have a nice tight action and from what I could tell a pretty nice clean breaking trigger as well. From people I've heard talk about them they're a real bargain. A few doing a similar conversion of taking the 357 magnums and stretching them out to a 357
maximum.

Who are you sending it to?

Back