• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone deal with Tennis Elbow?

EverettJ89

I recently had my first flare up of tennis elbow at work a couple of months ago. Has never been an issue for me in the past, and there wasn't any particular moment/injury that I can blame it on. It just started hurting on the drive home.

I have found that it gets very irritated when I shoot my bow. I have been doing some stretches/exercises and putting ice on it when its bad. Who has dealt with this after shooting or in general? Do you have any secrets on how to limit the irritation or relieve it? I'm not going to stop shooting my bow, but it has gotten old quickly. Am I going to have to deal with this annoyance forever? Someone give me some hope here haha.

Thanks,

Mine bothers me every now and then from work. I use two different supports. Either the Tommy copper arm sleeve, or the simple arm band. I think the arm band helps more. Lately I can feel it flair up a little if I over do it. So I put it on for a few days and it feels better. It does suck. Last time it took me a few months to shake it. I'm an electrician, so can't not use it. I wasent messing with my bow at the time. So not sure how it will relate to that. But the arm band is money well spent in MIO.

I dealt with it and time and rest is the thing that works but who can rest their arm for six months. I use Therapeutic Mineral Ice and that helped. When you shoot your bow and you are using a mechanical release make sure you grip the release with a closed hand . Never draw a bow with an open hand using a mechanical release with a wrist strap. That's a good way to injure your elbow.

I get golfers elbow bad and tennis elbow mildly sometimes. I tried everything and up until a couple months ago I thought I was just going to have to put up with it forever.

I followed the advice of these guys videos and it helped me completely become pain free. The biggest thing is you have to be patient. You’ll be doing these treatments for 3 weeks and wondering why it’s not going away and you’ll want to give up but you have to just stick with it.

The other things that helped me were ice packs every day, resting it as much as you can and a tommy copper sleeve. I don’t understand how the copper sleeve works and maybe it’s just in my head but if it takes a trick on my brain to ease my elbow pain enough to shoot my bow, cast a fishing rod or have a catch with my kids then that’s good enough for me.

Mine bothers me every now and then from work. I use two different supports. Either the Tommy copper arm sleeve, or the simple arm band. I think the arm band helps more. Lately I can feel it flair up a little if I over do it. So I put it on for a few days and it feels better. It does suck. Last time it took me a few months to shake it. I'm an electrician, so can't not use it. I wasent messing with my bow at the time. So not sure how it will relate to that. But the arm band is money well spent in MIO.

Another electrician here... I got it for the first time last year. No real cause that I could think of. I got it in both arms but worse in my left. It was very annoying. Never did anything and it went away after about 9 months. It was very weird how fast it came on and how long it took to go away. I still feel it some times. With the work I do I’m sure it will be back.

I had a bad case of it a few years back. I had developed a bad habit of swinging a bush axe one handed and that’s where it came from. One evening I was laying on the coach and discovered that wedging my arm between the backrest cushions was a) comfortable and b) made the pain go away. I slept on the coach like that for a several nights and it went away. I also went back to a machete and when I do carry the bush axe I’m very conscious of not swinging it one handed because that crap hurt.

If you do the voodoo floss like in the video above it will give instant relief. You may have to do it as a regimen for a while but it really helps. You could probably make a flossing band out of an inner tube

Another electrician here... I got it for the first time last year. No real cause that I could think of. I got it in both arms but worse in my left. It was very annoying. Never did anything and it went away after about 9 months. It was very weird how fast it came on and how long it took to go away. I still feel it some times. With the work I do I’m sure it will be back.

Its crazy to me that it just popped up one day, and hasn't let up since. I am also in construction so i expect this will be reoccurring for me too. The stretches that Wlog posted above helped immediately, and I got a compression band coming tomorrow (next day prime delivery is the best).

Just finished up shooting for the day, and it started to flare up towards the end of the 40-50 shots i took. Did the stretches again and it again relieved it immediately. Just going to have to make it part of the daily routine.

I recently had my first flare up of tennis elbow at work a couple of months ago. Has never been an issue for me in the past, and there wasn't any particular moment/injury that I can blame it on. It just started hurting on the drive home.

I have found that it gets very irritated when I shoot my bow. I have been doing some stretches/exercises and putting ice on it when its bad. Who has dealt with this after shooting or in general? Do you have any secrets on how to limit the irritation or relieve it? I'm not going to stop shooting my bow, but it has gotten old quickly. Am I going to have to deal with this annoyance forever? Someone give me some hope here haha.

Thanks,
I am an orthopedic PA who specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery. We start all of our patients on a home exercising program (see link). the key is to do these stretches 5 times a day. Right when you get up, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then right before you go to bed. DO NOT do any strengthening exercises. This will make things worse. Hope this helps. I tell all my patients it could take 6 weeks to fully go away.

I am an orthopedic PA who specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery. We start all of our patients on a home exercising program (see link). the key is to do these stretches 5 times a day. Right when you get up, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then right before you go to bed. DO NOT do any strengthening exercises. This will make things worse. Hope this helps. I tell all my patients it could take 6 weeks to fully go away.

Thank you I will add these to my new routine. When would you recommend moving to strength exercises as a means of prevention, if ever?

I get golfers elbow bad and tennis elbow mildly sometimes. I tried everything and up until a couple months ago I thought I was just going to have to put up with it forever.

I followed the advice of these guys videos and it helped me completely become pain free. The biggest thing is you have to be patient. You’ll be doing these treatments for 3 weeks and wondering why it’s not going away and you’ll want to give up but you have to just stick with it.

The other things that helped me were ice packs every day, resting it as much as you can and a tommy copper sleeve. I don’t understand how the copper sleeve works and maybe it’s just in my head but if it takes a trick on my brain to ease my elbow pain enough to shoot my bow, cast a fishing rod or have a catch with my kids then that’s good enough for me.
I Tried the method shown in this video and it worked great.

Back