• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone make their own game bags?

MNFarmHunter

I'm a cheap a$$ and quality game bags run over $70 per 4. In looking at their construction though, they're just nylon fabric and I can get that for $9/yard.

So...has anyone made their own game bags and how did it work for you?

Haven't made any, but the Allen ones had great reviews and are cheaper than a lot of the big name ones. I used mine last year and they worked as expected, seemed good quality, and cleaned up well. They offer different packages based on animal size too, Mine were plenty big enough for white tail quarters

I bought caribou "camp meat" bags they were like 13 bucks a piece. They are smaller roughly about a 1' wife and 2' tall. I realize that'll be a bit small fpr elk and jazz but I've never had any trouble getting everything out with room to spare. I have 5 and they are worth that price, pillow cases sucked... I also am a cheap a++ so I'm right there with ya....

Camofire.com has individual games bags on there today for 75% off…. $6.35 each. Can’t make them cheaper than that and they are very good quality.

Here’s bag #1 that cost $3 with double stitched side seams.

2b717cae28d3c8597a8a439f114041a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you go about cinching up the top after you have a quarter in the pillow case?
It can be tied off w/ a pc of cord if bugs are bad but I just slip mine in my pack for the journey to the road. I just use them to keep it clean. Cord could be stitched right to the bag top so you don't loose it but you might get it caught on your ear at night.....

I got the fabric from JoAnn’s. Just make sure you get your waiting number before getting the fabric or else you’ll be there forever.

This material is utility nylon (200D?) which is strong, lightweight and breathable. The other nylon I looked at didn’t breathe at all.

If I don't have bags w/me, I always have a garbage bag in the bottom of my pack. Line the pack w/the bag and fill it up. I know it doesn't breath but the meat is usually cool till it goes in. I don't know about you southern boys. I keep a cooler in my truck w/ frozen salt water in them.

We always used the old cheesecloth style game bags. We would soak them in vinegar and hot sauce prior to the hunt, dry them on a clothesline, and repack them in a ziplock bag. I never tried but always thought I could make them out of cheesecloth. The pre made ones were cheap enough so I never bothered trying.

Most cheap bags are cotton, almost cheesecloth like.

I have those but the holes are bigger and can allow flies, dirt, etc. to work it’s way in. Cotton also absorbs moisture and can be a breeding ground for things.

Nylon bags, due to their tight weave, essentially prevent anything from working its way in. They also won’t absorb liquid and are breathable.

Basically, I wanted bags I could put quartered, bone in or bone out meat in, leave it hanging for 24 hours plus, and not worry about it.

Haven't made any, but the Allen ones had great reviews and are cheaper than a lot of the big name ones. I used mine last year and they worked as expected, seemed good quality, and cleaned up well. They offer different packages based on animal size too, Mine were plenty big enough for white tail quarters

thanks for the tip....the deer size ones are on sale on amazon

i must admit to using scent free garbage bags before and just leaving them open a bit to vent and then getting them out of the field and in a fridge as fast as possible...i got lucky that i didn't get spoilage

Camofire.com has individual games bags on there today for 75% off…. $6.35 each. Can’t make them cheaper than that and they are very good quality.

they capped me at only 3 for the deer sized ones...is that normal? do you have to buy on 2 different cards to get 6?

they capped me at only 3 for the deer sized ones...is that normal? do you have to buy on 2 different cards to get 6?

That could be? A few months back they cam up and I bought 12 so if that’s the case that’s new. They do have a keep the cart open option to save on shipping and give you so many days to add to it. Maybe choose that option and do the purchase and then go back and add to it?

Back