• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use a tactisaddle treestand harness?

kbetts

SH Member
I've been looking at them to match with the two Dreys I own. I currently use a rch, but being a professional (joke) I figured it'd be a nice upgrade. Anyone else use one?

I run the original tactisaddle with a full size drey for all day sits, and the drey mini with thatever their saddle/rch is for short 2-4 hour sits. I love my tactisaddle for climbing and reppel.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Yup I do. It was a love hate relationship. Mine is the original. The most annoying thing is the buckles are not 1 hand adjustable. It's very hard to make adjustments, even two hands. I got used to it as I only make the adjustments once I get on stand, and don't fiddle with them again. Apparently this issue has been completely resolved on the new models.
Two, it was very uncomfortable to lean back in when you hook up the lineman's belt. The webbing really cut into my hips. I put the moveable padding on mine and really helped a lot.
3 the buckles made a little bit on noise. I wish it justed used cobra buckles which I believe is an option now. I put a little stealth strips between the buckles and they're silent now.
Despite some cons, its so lightweight and unnoticable wearing it I could never go back to a standard harness.
I use a saddle bridge girth hitched to it to attach myself to the tree. 20230919_100317_compress58.jpg

The above looks exactly like my RCH without the lineman loops. Generally I wear it in.
I'm most interested in having buckles on the belt and leg straps for convenience.

Yup I do. It was a love hate relationship. Mine is the original. The most annoying thing is the buckles are not 1 hand adjustable. It's very hard to make adjustments, even two hands. I got used to it as I only make the adjustments once I get on stand, and don't fiddle with them again. Apparently this issue has been completely resolved on the new models.
Two, it was very uncomfortable to lean back in when you hook up the lineman's belt. The webbing really cut into my hips. I put the moveable padding on mine and really helped a lot.
3 the buckles made a little bit on noise. I wish it justed used cobra buckles which I believe is an option now. I put a little stealth strips between the buckles and they're silent now.
Despite some cons, its so lightweight and unnoticable wearing it I could never go back to a standard harness.
I use a saddle bridge girth hitched to it to attach myself to the tree. View attachment 90906
That looks almost identical to my Misty Mountain RCH, except I don't have linesman's loops and had to tie my own out of webbing.

Does anyone SRT/Rappel using this harness? It looks like a great alternative to the standard treestand harness. I would think that the short time you would actually be sitting in the harness (SRT/Rappel), it would work just fine???

Does anyone SRT/Rappel using this harness? It looks like a great alternative to the standard treestand harness. I would think that the short time you would actually be sitting in the harness (SRT/Rappel), it would work just fine???
I wouldn't try. It's gunna be painful

I wouldn't try. It's gunna be painful
It's basically the same as a standard rock climbing harness that rock climbers use to climb and rappel on. They don't usually hang suspended from their harness; they hang on to the rock face with feet and fingers. For climbing with your weight borne by your hands and feet, and short rappels with your feet and legs moving to keep your blood flowing I can't imagine you'd have any issues. That said I wouldn't want to hang motionless in one for any length of time unless I had some portion of my weight shifted to a bosun's chair or hammock or fleece saddle or SitDrag or some other similar positioning aide.

So far I've stuck with the rch. I used a belt last night (no leg straps). As of now, I prefer the rch with the mini Drey, but prefer the battle belt with my full size.

I had the Gen 1 Tactisaddle and I thought it was very comfortable and well made. I liked that you could slide the band up or down to adjust for comfort and how little bulk there was with it. I sold it but not because I didn’t like it.

So far I've stuck with the rch. I used a belt last night (no leg straps). As of now, I prefer the rch with the mini Drey, but prefer the battle belt with my full size.

@kbetts, I hadn’t considered the Mini Drey with a harness?????…..that is a good idea.
I ordered a harness from John (Tactisaddle). I’ll do some testing in the off season with this combination. Thanks for all the ideas! This may just be the ticket with a treestand. I wish I would have considered this a few months ago.

@kbetts, I hadn’t considered the Mini Drey with a harness?????…..that is a good idea.
I ordered a harness from John (Tactisaddle). I’ll do some testing in the off season with this combination. Thanks for all the ideas! This may just be the ticket with a treestand. I wish I would have considered this a few months ago.

The mini pairs so well with the harness that I can't see what else could be lighter or more comfortable. Only thing I'm missing are lineman loops and as mentioned, I don't really need them.

I got my harness and we had a mix up on the waist belt sizing. John corrected and got it right back even though I was not in a big hurry.
Anyway if you order one you can give them the minimum and maximum waist belt and leg strap size. I went a little overboard since I want to make sure it fit when I have my Cabelas stand hunter coat and bibs on. I removed the waist belt strap keepers because they prevented me from getting the waist belt super tight for climbing. I opted for the quick release leg buckles. On my scale it weighs 1lb 10oz.
I think the only change on 2024 is the linesmsn loops. I think it will work well for me.
Screenshot_20240108_153655_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240108_153714_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I climb and rappel out of my Dryad Killdeer harness with the upgraded leg straps. It isn't that bad for the short time you are hanging in it; I would think for the climb and rappel the Tactisaddle harness mentioned above would be just as good. I use the mini drey at height and am very happy with it's performance in both the heat and snow (FL & NY).

I climb and rappel out of my Dryad Killdeer harness with the upgraded leg straps. It isn't that bad for the short time you are hanging in it; I would think for the climb and rappel the Tactisaddle harness mentioned above would be just as good. I use the mini drey at height and am very happy with it's performance in both the heat and snow (FL & NY).
My problem with it is when you have to take a pee it's tuff. If it's cold and you have layers on, all I can say is good luck.
Screenshot_20231218_121905_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I got my harness and we had a mix up on the waist belt sizing. John corrected and got it right back even though I was not in a big hurry.
Anyway if you order one you can give them the minimum and maximum waist belt and leg strap size. I went a little overboard since I want to make sure it fit when I have my Cabelas stand hunter coat and bibs on. I removed the waist belt strap keepers because they prevented me from getting the waist belt super tight for climbing. I opted for the quick release leg buckles. On my scale it weighs 1lb 10oz.
I think the only change on 2024 is the linesmsn loops. I think it will work well for me.
View attachment 98187View attachment 98188

I like the looks of this. I may have to order one for next season. I like my lightweight RCH a lot for the simplicity and it’s comfortable enough, but I don’t have linesman loops. Usually not a big deal, but sometimes it can be a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back