• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Archery Issue - Problem with Arrow Flight

TNbowhunter

I spent about three hours yesterday trying to figure out a bow tuning issue that I just couldn’t resolve. When paper tuning, I kept getting a bad (1+ inch) nock-left tear, and I tried every bit of trouble shooting I could think of, but to no avail. I finally gave up on paper tuning and did a French/walk-back tune and a broadhead tune that got me the accuracy results I wanted at 30 yards (1” groups with field points, 2” groups with broadheads, with both types hitting the same spot), but still left a wobbly arrow flight.
I’m 6’3 and shoot right-handed. I shoot a BowTech RPM 360, 29.5” draw, 55 lbs. draw weight. Gold Tip Hunter XT arrows, 300 spine, 100 grain field points and 100 grain Muzzy Trocar 3-blade broadheads.
Here’s what I tried:
(1) Moving the arrow rest left and right, even substantially each way—made virtually no difference.
(2) Shooting different spined arrows (I shot a 340 and a 400)—virtually no difference.
(3) Adjust my grip to remove torque (with wife standing behind me to confirm)—virtually no difference.
(4) Shoot with release just off of my face to check to see whether facial pressure was the culprit—virtually no difference.
(5) Hone in on my release to ensure I wasn’t pulling my shots—virtually no difference.
(6) ADD extreme torque to my grip (pointing front of bow to the right probably 20 degrees)—perfect bullet hole.
Any archery gurus out there that can help me figure this out? I have my bow in “good enough” shape to finish out the season as-is if necessary, but I’d love to straighten out my arrow flight to increase odds of pass-through shots. HELP!?!

Could be lots of things. You seem to have been pretty thorough with what you checked though. If it was my bow, I'd try:

Adjusting the rest up and down. I've seen that impact the left/right tear, even though charts say it shouldn't. Cheap and easy to try.

You didn't mention what rest you were using, but I'd check to insure that if it's a drop-away that it's functioning correctly.

Check to make sure you're not getting fetching contact anywhere.

Looks like your bow is a split-limb with yoke cables. Might be worth tinkering with yoke tuning.

With split limb bows, I'm always suspicious of a weak limb on one side. I about tore my hair out with a mathews monster one day that had that issue.

You also didn't mention if you had nock tuned the arrow you were using. I've had some arrows that greatly benefited from that.

Check for fletching clearance first.

If it's not that sounds like the yokes need adjusting, you will need a press to do that. After you line the rest up down the dead center of the string follow this video.

I am in no way a guru but it kind if sounds like a vane issue contacting riser, cables or rest. Have you shot a bare shaft yet? If you find it is the vanes contacting, you can switch to a Rayzr type feather rather than vanes to finish the season until you get to the root of the issue. Nock tuning as said above may correct the issue as well. I also had an old Hoyt/Reflex Xtreme with split limbs that needed yoke tuned every season it seemed like ( I bowfish with it now). Good luck!

Last edited:
Contact is my thought as well. Get some spray-on foot powder and spray your shelf, rest and anything else close to the arrow path of travel. You will see any contact in the powder.

Get a bow press and add 1 twist to left leg and take .5 twist out of right side of yoke on top and bottom.

Back