• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are saddle hunters automatically DIY kayakers?

rutstrut23

Been a part time saddle hunter for a few years and used to think this was the most DIY group I have ever seen.... Then I bought a kayak.. Pretty sure every Kayak fisherman out there is a budding saddle hunter at heart!! All joking aside how many of y'all are DIY Kayakers also?? The 2 really seam to be a similar mindset and a similar DIY skillset

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Before I saddle hunted I kayak fished when I was stationed in Okinawa. I made a pvc mini outrigger set up so I could troll more rods on my kayak. Nothing like hitting a school of mahi and having four lines screaming in all directions.

Been a part time saddle hunter for a few years and used to think this was the most DIY group I have ever seen.... Then I bought a kayak.. Pretty sure every Kayak fisherman out there is a budding saddle hunter at heart!! All joking aside how many of y'all are DIY Kayakers also?? The 2 really seam to be a similar mindset and a similar DIY skillset

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I kayak fished before hunting big game (hunted desert quail with dogs for years). I bought a Jackson SOT then realized I didnt live around enough water and moved from the west to the south. I then discovered you dont have to play the lottery to hunt big game in hopes that you “might” be able to do your hunting hobby this year so went all in. I got the diy pwm motor, lights, fish finder, and lots more. Once I get back from this wild fire, im dropping the Newport Vessels NK-180S brushless motor in with a Dakota 24v Lithpo4 50ah batt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have a yak I fished with and modified accordingly. Then I got a canoe

Haha... joking aside, kayaks are fun and good tool to get u out on the water. I caught lots of fish and had some really cool outdoor experiences but the stupid thing hurt my back. Then kids came around and wanted to go too...now I possibly gotta buy more yaks $$....and the big killer for me also, storage. The milk crate only holds so much no matter how ingenious u rig it up.

I had a tandom ocean brand yak. Anchor trolley, Scotty rods holders, milk crate, internal dry storage, paddle holder, and bungee system all diy.

Best moment; paddling with a school of dolphins for what seemed like a mile or 2
Scariest moment; getting bumped and almost dumped by a bull shark in shallow water
Biggest fish; 32" redfish on light inshore tackle and 15lb test....pulled me like a frieght train half way to downtown jacksonville

f94b4be0dfc124eec63b684e1ff800c9.jpg

I don’t do a ton of DIY rigging for kayak fishing or hunting. Just some strapping to make sure my cooler stays attached. Most good sit on tops have plenty of pole storage or rail systems to mount gear to. Back in the 90’s when I started kayaking that wasn’t the case though. We would use milk crates and pvc pipes as pole holders, pull behind rafts for coolers lol.
Judging from the picture below, I dare say that I may have an unhealthy obsession with kayaks

Attachments

• C62CBAF6-67B8-473E-8527-66CA4F7A50E7.jpeg
    C62CBAF6-67B8-473E-8527-66CA4F7A50E7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 70
I don’t do a ton of DIY rigging for kayak fishing or hunting. Just some strapping to make sure my cooler stays attached. Most good sit on tops have plenty of pole storage or rail systems to mount gear to. Back in the 90’s when I started kayaking that wasn’t the case though. We would use milk crates and pvc pipes as pole holders, pull behind rafts for coolers lol.
Judging from the picture below, I dare say that I may have an unhealthy obsession with kayaks
I would also say it’s about time to weed eat under the porch lmao

I think I saw a gator.....LOL

Wish I would've done that. My time was spend either surfing or diving off the seawall.
I spearfished a lot there. When the bigger pelagic fish were out in the open ocean during the summer I would switch to the spear..good times on the sea wall though lol when were you there?

I spearfished a lot there. When the bigger pelagic fish were out in the open ocean during the summer I would switch to the spear..good times on the sea wall though lol when were you there?
I was there '98-'00. Scuba diving was great and the surfing was fun except right after a typhoon. I paddled out right after one once and by the time I got through the breakwater, I was a mile closer to Naha.

Couple times a year I piss around on local mud puddles with my yak, but most of my fishing is on my 16' boat or my old man's 20 footer on big water. I really enjoy yaks more on moving water but the logistics of shuttling lead me to rarely do it. I did some kayak bass fishing tournaments when the were becoming a thing about 10 years ago. Met some cool folks but man were there some freaking characters also.

Couple times a year I piss around on local mud puddles with my yak, but most of my fishing is on my 16' boat or my old man's 20 footer on big water. I really enjoy yaks more on moving water but the logistics of shuttling lead me to rarely do it. I did some kayak bass fishing tournaments when the were becoming a thing about 10 years ago. Met some cool folks but man were there some freaking characters also.
One of our local fish camps do a large flounder fishing kayak tournament called the flounder pounder. They also sponsor a big kayak event annually for Heroes on the Water. Where hundreds of veterans get to put in and either fish or take kayak tours of the surrounding area. They don’t have to have a kayak, many local yak rental companies contribute to make sure there are boats a plenty for the veterans. It’s always awesome to see our community supporting veterans for a good recreational cause!

Back