• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Arsenal’s ICON X20 collapsible climbing sticks

LoadedLimbs

SH Member
There has been some good info on these sticks posted under the Arsenal Platform thread, but I figured the sticks deserve their own thread.

@enkriss - you’re the only one that I’ve seen on this forum (so far) who has purchased them to try out. You have tried out a lot of sticks - do you think the ICON X20’s are going to be your go-to sticks this season, or is your preference something else?

Anyone else try them out yet? If so, what do you think of them so far?

I think they are great sticks. Excellent features. I especially like the magnet and clip stacking. They also bite the tree exceptionally well. You can undo the attachment and the stick sticks to the tree.

The one thing I am having trouble getting myself to look past is the slop between the 2 different size tubes. Granted there is a delrin sleeve between the tubes to take up most of the space there is still movement. The mechanical engineer in me sees the slop just getting worse and worse over time. For that reason and that reason only I might be sending them back. If they were 17-20” step sticks that were not telescopic they would easily be the best sticks on the market and I am not joking. They are extremely nice. I just can’t get my mind past the slop.

I think they are great sticks. Excellent features. I especially like the magnet and clip stacking. They also bite the tree exceptionally well. You can undo the attachment and the stick sticks to the tree.

The one thing I am having trouble getting myself to look past is the slop between the 2 different size tubes. Granted there is a delrin sleeve between the tubes to take up most of the space there is still movement. The mechanical engineer in me sees the slop just getting worse and worse over time. For that reason and that reason only I might be sending them back. If they were 17-20” step sticks that were not telescopic they would easily be the best sticks on the market and I am not joking. They are extremely nice. I just can’t get my mind past the slop.
In your opinion if they got rid of the telescopic feature and made them the same size as the one stick, would the weight be comparable? Right now they’re 50% heavier but two inches longer I think.

Yup, same here. Sticks look pretty interesting. But, if they have they slop now - brand new - what is that going to look and feel like after 5-10-20-100 uses? (Not that you, @enkriss, would ever own a pair of sticks that long?! :) LOL.) Not a bad marketing strategy though - come out with something new, different, and innovative, - and then let the customer ask for something 'different' - which is more similar to other products already on the market.

In your opinion if they got rid of the telescopic feature and made them the same size as the one stick, would the weight be comparable? Right now they’re 50% heavier but two inches longer I think.

It would be a heavier duty one stick with more boot room. Probably be a few ounces heavier… if I had to guess. The steps are 10” wide compared to the one sticks 8-3/4” wide and bit more room off the tree.

Yup, same here. Sticks look pretty interesting. But, if they have they slop now - brand new - what is that going to look and feel like after 5-10-20-100 uses? (Not that you, @enkriss, would ever own a pair of sticks that long?! :) LOL.) Not a bad marketing strategy though - come out with something new, different, and innovative, - and then let the customer ask for something 'different' - which is more similar to other products already on the market.

You would be surprised to find out that once season starts I rarely change my setup. Spring and summer is my time to tinker. I still have beast sticks and I used one sticks all last season.

You would be surprised to find out that once season starts I rarely change my setup. Spring and summer is my time to tinker. I still have beast sticks and I used one sticks all last season.
Just giving ya crap! Same here....offseason is time for gear tinkering and testing things out - hunting season is for hunting! Only a few weeks away! If ICON comes out with a fixed stick before next season, I'd give it a look. Otherwise, I'll sit back and let others test out the collapsing sticks.

The attachment method for the Arsenal sticks looks a lot like the ones on the Latitude sticks.

I also imagine dirt/grit getting on the telescoping tube. That can only add to the wear and tear on the delrin. There's already a set of 3 for sale on FB.

The slop between the posts is the only reason I didn’t buy them. Otherwise they’re great sticks!

I've got a set and really like them so far. The slop is very minimal in my sticks, I don't see it being an issue for several years imo. The magnet stacking is awesome and ability to stack 2 different ways is awesome as well. I have a set of beast sticks that will be taking a backseat to these this year, had a set of gen 3 one sticks that I sold a few weeks ago that I used last season.

My initial thoughts were to order a set but then i remembered My folding shikar sticks and the fiddle factor of moving parts on any hunting components.....the less the better. No matter how well made its more movement and more noise. However the maxx aider looks interesting if it would work on the gen3 one sticks.

Looser than this?

This was the material I planned to use (their square tubing) when I was tinkering with the idea. Juice didn’t seem worth the squeeze.

IMG_8758.png

Well. I ordered four sticks and an aider to abuse and test out this season. I will provide updates throughout the season. I do traditional four stick climbing and have been running four full length beast sticks with no aider. I have tried the Shikar sticks, timber ninjas, one sticks and beast sticks. So we shall see how these go. I will be super excited about the aider due to having larger boots. I also ordered the new Cruzr pack to stow my platform and two sticks on each side. Hopefully it will be a very nice compact package all together. Not the lightest. But I’m not an ounce counter. I’ll just lose an extra pound or two myself and call it good.

First night on the arsenals. Again, I’m 240lbs. They feel really nice climbing the tree. The two on each side of my saddle are nice and compact. They deploy easily. Just keep your off hand fingers over the holes and they won’t make any noise. The attachment method is easy after you practice it a few times. I doubled it up meaning I had enough slack to do the sequence twice. It also states to half hitch it on the tag end after you are done so read the instructions. There was zero play in them as I climbed the tree. So far I can say I am a fan. I am waiting on the aider for my bottom stick which will make it a fifth stick essentially for my big feet.

As I was climbing, I had a six walk out while I was setting my platform. So I stood on the bottom step of my top (fourth) stick for about fifteen minutes with no issues on the stick. He wandered off but I’m still in the game.

Edit post hunt:
He never got closer than fifty yards and I never had a shot. Oh well.

The sticks were fine going down also. The glow strips work very very well which is nice and I’m still getting used to how compact a 13 inch step is when stowed. They connect really well together which is nice for the walk in and out via a backpack or in your hands.

I was on a pine tree and all four sticks stayed on the tree when I removed the attachment method (rope, Amsteel, whatever it is).

Attachments

• IMG_2642.jpeg
    IMG_2642.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2648.jpeg
    IMG_2648.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Back