• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attaching a vest to a saddle

wingnut

My merlin came with loops sewn on the top webbing strap. I thought this would be a good place to attach a Molle vest to hold the saddle up and give me a better place to hook my pouches instead of on the saddle. I'd like to get them closer to the front so I don't have to reach around behind me to get my gear. Maybe even carry a platform and sticks on the vest. Here is a pic of the vest I have in mind.

What are your thoughts on attaching it and making the vest a better part of the set up.

I have that exact same 1....it's pretty nice. I use that 1 for days I know I'm just on the ground....the waist has elastic and it's like a back brace. I am a big fan of having the molle system all over ur upper torso so u can attach whatever size pouch to wherever u need it. I have another vest I use if I'm climbing and have thought about attaching my saddle to it before just haven't done it yet for no other reason other than laziness. I will mess with it over the weekend and I can give u my opinion. Do u have a mesh saddle? Single/double panel?

I think the reason I haven't attached it to the saddle is because I like to take the vest off when I get up to hunting height but that shouldn't be a problem if u have quick connect attachment

Huh, looks interesting. I’ve been paging through Amazon to maybe combine a battle belt with dump pouches and suspenders for ground hunts. That link has almost all of it together.

If you got molle then make a couple molle adjusters like the transformer double panel attatchments and slip both ends in the saddle and vest and you can adjust it on the fly for walking in and sitting or leaning. That’s what I did for mine

I've got a mesh merlin, single panel with the expanding pleat. I don't think leaving the vest on would bother me, I've been using a HSS harness vest for as long as I can remember. Not sure if the pouches on the front would get in the way of my bow when taking a shot though. Have you got any pics of your set up Razorbak?

Sportsman's guide had size xs on sale for 10 bucks so I got 1. If it was too small or I didn't like it I still got more than 10 bucks worth of buckles and hardware. I'm 5'10 and 30-32 waist and im about in the middle of adjustment...I could go smaller or larger with available adjustment. Like all surplus it's super durable and over built.

I've got a mesh merlin, single panel with the expanding pleat. I don't think leaving the vest on would bother me, I've been using a HSS harness vest for as long as I can remember. Not sure if the pouches on the front would get in the way of my bow when taking a shot though. Have you got any pics of your set up Razorbak?
I do not but will try to get one this weekend the pouches you can run off center where your still able to get to if needed. I run my pouches last year on my saddle on the hips this year I’m running my pouches on my chest rig I built on the side and running trophy line vest so I don’t need pouches in it. Mainly your making it like a 2 panel vest is panel 1 and top panel of your saddle is panel 2

@wingnut this is as far as I got before being called back in for dad doody...after everybody goes to bed I'll go back out and do all the needed adjustments and I'll hang for a bit and I let u know how it goes....first and foremost u probably going to want a bridge u can disconnect. Mine is fixed... normally I put my saddle on over my head and I'd put the vest on after. With the being attached together I had to step thru the bridge first then shoulder the straps for the vest...it was a little awkward the 5 or ten times I put it on/off before having to set it aside

Screenshot_20210626-201903_(1).png

I'm liking this idea. My saddle pouches are stuffed with odds-n-ends I would like to move elsewhere but still want to keep them on me for whatever reason. This may solve that issue so long as my slim pouches will work as I don't like having "stuff" on my chest while shooting a bow.

@wingnut , I also have an Aero Merlin and posted a thread as to how I adapted the web bridge to be removable. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/stupid-idea.38647/

You'll have to scroll down to post #10 for what I came up with.

I'm liking this idea. My saddle pouches are stuffed with odds-n-ends I would like to move elsewhere but still want to keep them on me for whatever reason. This may solve that issue so long as my slim pouches will work as I don't like having "stuff" on my chest while shooting a bow.

@wingnut , I also have an Aero Merlin and posted a thread as to how I adapted the web bridge to be removable. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/stupid-idea.38647/

You'll have to scroll down to post #10 for what I came up with.
This particular vest doesn't have any accomodations for anything on the chest..

Works very nice. I thought it might change the feel of how the saddle sits but it didn't change how it felt. This is my backup saddle pictured and I think I'm going to make a detachable bridge and throw on some pouches and take it out for some hunts this coming season. If we can figure out a good way to rig up attachment points the back panel will make a very nice back support.. things get a little jumbled in the gut but u can easy adjust the buckles. And yes.... thermacell required just to go in the backyard :( .....don't forget to let it heat up 5-10 minutes before going out into skeeter territory.. hahaha

Screenshot_20210626-215312_(1).pngScreenshot_20210626-215307_(1).png2021-06-26_21.52.14.jpg

Huh, looks interesting. I’ve been paging through Amazon to maybe combine a battle belt with dump pouches and suspenders for ground hunts. That link has almost all of it together.
Here's how I have it set up for ground hunting...pouch up the back for rain gear and small junk, big pouch in the center for big items, and two medium pouches on either hip. The back panel is also storage ...can't fit much and it right against ur body so it can't be bulging but I keep TP/permits pen and gloves...

Screenshot_20210626-221539_(1).pngScreenshot_20210626-221546_(1).png

Hey @wingnut .....I don't know how big an old boy u is but....the 1 I have is and extra small size and it can adjust to way way bigger than I could ever use even gaining 100 pounds. The 1 u showed is xl....u could possibly run into issues of running out of adjustment

Last edited:
I liked the idea having a vest attached to the saddle two years ago and tried it. Here were my thoughts:
- It’s a perfect system to keep the saddle at the perfect height while walking in and climbing
- with the right pouches at the right spots on the vest, accessories are at hand when needed
- I wanted to eliminate the need for a backpack

I rigged up the vest and saddle and went into the woods. So far, all worked as planned. Climbing the tree though, I didn’t like the vest during the climbing itself. Also, when at height, I realized I’d like to take it off and have the “stuff” in front of me for easier access than on a vest around my chest/waist. Personally, I tend to bring more stuff with me than I need , but like to have, just in case. E.g. first aid kit, water, snacks, binos, a book, power bank for the phone, poncho, etc… so, I was not able to eliminate the backpack.

i detached the vest and put on some suspenders from the hardware store instead. It allows me to position the saddle at the exact and perfect spot on my hip without cinching the belt tight to keep it in place. I have only climbing related items in the hip pouches, such as tether, LM rope, ATC/Figure 8, grappling hook and retrieving line.

In/on my backpack, depending on weather, I have poncho, extra jacket, ultimate stick or LW hand climber and the other “stuff”. I can climb with the backpack on, or pull it up after climbing. I do like hanging it on the tree so I have easy access to my stuff. I also like to keep it open and prop up my phone inside so I can see the screen and read incoming messages without movement. At the same time, it shields the glare from the screen.

So, long story short, in my opinion, a vest is a great idea if it works for you based on your personal preferences.

The vest has definitely spark my interest I may have to give it a try, I’m currently satisfied with my predator pack with two bags attached to it. But I’m not against trying this vest set up. Thanks for posting the pics for full illustration

Attachments

• 3D5ECD05-34FE-4E66-AC0E-0041BFD86658.jpeg
    3D5ECD05-34FE-4E66-AC0E-0041BFD86658.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 47
My current system is vest based but I don't have the 2 connected...I also like to take it off once up to height. I don't plan on changing but I will give this an honest shot. The shoulder straps can be unbuckle so maybe it will be ok? Sitting in the yard much different than actually using or in the field.

Thanks for posting the detailed Pics Weldabeast. That vest looks like it's the same one I'm looking at and attaching it at the loops on the belt works perfect. I'm going to try and get one that's a large I'm 6 foot, 220. I think as you spend some time in it you could tweek it to fit your style. Like MaxJac said it might be good to be able to remove it when your in the tree but I bet it feels like one piece as your walking and climbing. I bought the Eberlestock add on pouches for my dump pouches that add weight and bulk. Getting them on my sides supported by the shoulder straps should be a lot more comfortable. I can see where the stock bridge on the merlin is going to make it a PITA to put it on with the vest attached and I have been thinking of changing to an oplux bridge anyway.

Back