• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attachment mod for Predator

diuilin

I finally got to take my bow up in my new saddle: four shots, four dead 3D "deer." Still need a lot more practice, but I'm psyched.

BUT, I've got a problem with the Predator. I replaced the original metal buckle with a versa strap, but it seems like that won't hold it tight enough to the tree. Has anyone had success using a versa strap or some other quieter attachment method for the Predator?

There was a thread about modifying the Predator about a year ago, but it was more about adjusting the angle, not the attachment.

Last edited:
Are you strapping while folded up, picking up, then camMing down?
Not sure about "picking up." I'm putting the strap on with the platform folded as far up as I can, then camming it down. Am I missing a step in the process? Here's what it looks like. (Yes, that's the top of a ladder stand in the picture. Just trying to get some easy height to practice with the saddle).

I wonder if a rope mod would work better on the Predator.

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 127
Lol I was gonna link same video. I learned something- it’s not “pick it up” after you attach it “push it all the way down before camming down.”

Just reread the post that you are using a versa strap. You are never going to get the platform as tight as easily as you will with the cam strap.

with that said. You will have to get the strap as tight as you can. You can put a couple twists in the strap to shorten it if in between loops. Then push down as hard as you can with the platform folded up, open it up attach your tether and step in. Bear hug the tree step on the top of the post and pick the end of the platform up with your toes then cam back down. It will be solid as a rock.

If that doesn’t work try it again cuz you are doing something wrong.

IME, nothing keeps the stand as stable as the original strap.
I've tried a versa strap and Amsteel. I think the stability of the cam strap is worth the weight of having the metal buckle.
The key is to have the strap tight in a horizontal position around the tree. Daisy chain straps and ropes just dont get as tight in a horizontal position.

Thanks a lot! I'll try out some of those tips. I might go back to the original strap. I can't connect the versa strap to the button without leaving the platform down far enough to get my hand in there. So some of the camming advantage is lost. But who knows. I saw another post from someone who uses a versa strap on a predator.

Thanks a lot! I'll try out some of those tips. I might go back to the original strap. I can't connect the versa strap to the button without leaving the platform down far enough to get my hand in there. So some of the camming advantage is lost. But who knows. I saw another post from someone who uses a versa strap on a predator.
On 80% of trees the versa strap might work just fine...it all depends on the diameter of the tree at the connection. But I want a strap that works 100% of the time. Daybreak is no time to fuss with gear.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I use a LW strap on my predator works better than the stock strap!

Take the versa strap and hook the first loop onto the platform. Next, wrap it once around the platform post and then go around the tree with it and placing the closest loop on the post. Then seat it down and open it up. Should be close to rock solid. Even try wrapping the end you put around the tree once around the post before attaching it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used several attachment methods including the versa strap and have settled back on the stock strap wrapped with stealth strips. Never could get it has tight with any other method.

The very 1st straps that they put on the gen 1 did the job pretty well except for that issue of the spring snagging the strap. Otherwise, it was a heavy duty strap. The strap on my gen 2 is less robust...works okay but I do like a heavier strap better.
I've used LW straps on them too. They are probably the best.

It's bigger and just pulls tight. I like it better with a stelth buckle silencers
Pulling tight is one thing, but remaining tight is another thing. Some straps are made from crappy webbing and it stretches when in use. The LW strap and the original gen 1 Predator strap have a higher quality webbing (IMO) than the strap they used on my gen 2 predator...which was purchased more than a year ago. Has tethered improved the webbing on the latest ones they are shipping out?

While i do agree that the stock strap is best, I use daisy chains on my sticks and to get them to maximum tightness you need to leave the top stand off on the tree, push the bottom of stick/platform to the side of the tree, hook your strap/chain as tight as you can and then pull back out.

I took my Predator back out and tried these suggestions: worked a lot better. But I might still go back to the original strap and buckle. I don't like the idea of that metal for noise and weight, but if it gets the platform tighter it might be worth it.

Back