• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Attachment to gear

Westdesign03

SH Member
Kind of a weird topic and sort of embarrassing. Just curious if any of you have any attachment to a piece of gear you own. Not necessarily because it’s “the best” but just because. Maybe you don’t even know why.

I seem to have such an attachment. I really should sell the item and get some money back out of it because I have other stuff that works better, easier, lighter, faster, smaller, you name it but for some dumb reason I can’t seem to let it go.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on what you did to get past it, or am I just blowing things out of proportion?

I hear ya. My version is that I sell stuff that I think I'm done with and then almost immediately experience "sellers remorse" and wish I still had it.
Strange creatures are we.

Yes. I have the same problem. I’ve sold things then regretted it and then eventually break down and buy it again. That’s what I’m trying to avoid doing here again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s how I get past it. I don’t like a lot of money being tied up in gear. It can get out of hand quickly.

1. Climbing method: I only need one way to get up a tree. Back up is ground hunt. I will try out a second method, but I decide in a couple of hunts which one I’m keeping.

2. Platforms: see climbing method.

3. Packs: this is a problem area. I try to keep only one of similar sizes. Same with Fanny packs.

4. Turkey vests and calls: I don’t want to talk about it.

In the end none of this stuff really impacts your ability to kill deer imo. Get up a tree safely, stay still (and hopefully comfortable) and practice you’re shooting.

Time and effort is much better spent on locating deer.

I’ve got gear that I should use but keep getting newer, lighter and better stuff and hate to part with my older still useable and reliable stuff. I still have an old treelounge tree stand which hasn’t been used for 4 years or more, .

Here’s how I get past it. I don’t like a lot of money being tied up in gear. It can get out of hand quickly.

1. Climbing method: I only need one way to get up a tree. Back up is ground hunt. I will try out a second method, but I decide in a couple of hunts which one I’m keeping.

2. Platforms: see climbing method.

3. Packs: this is a problem area. I try to keep only one of similar sizes. Same with Fanny packs.

4. Turkey vests and calls: I don’t want to talk about it.

In the end none of this stuff really impacts your ability to kill deer imo. Get up a tree safely, stay still (and hopefully comfortable) and practice you’re shooting.

Time and effort is much better spent on locating deer.

I hear ya. Sounds like you have a thing for turkey vests and calls. My problem is part of the fun for me is how I’m getting up the tree and how I’m sitting in it. It’s a big part of what makes the experience for me. I’m sure you can relate a bit.

Man... I used to hold on to too much crap.

I did The Purge a few months ago and I couldn't be happier about it. Toss, donated, ebayed and gave away so much excess crap I wasn't using.

Now all my hunting gear fits into two large plastic totes, it's well worth it!

I sell or trade gear to try new things and never have remorse but like mentioned turkey calls is another story. Every once in a while you get a gobbler to hang up and you might just need the kitchen, master, spare, and main bathroom sink. The custom friction calls is what really kills me. They are collectors items that help you kill.

Man... I used to hold on to too much crap.

I did The Purge a few months ago and I couldn't be happier about it. Toss, donated, ebayed and gave away so much excess crap I wasn't using.

Now all my hunting gear fits into two large plastic totes, it's well worth it!
I can't get my camo collection in two totes!!!! :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

I sell or trade gear to try new things and never have remorse but like mentioned turkey calls is another story. Every once in a while you get a gobbler to hang up and you might just need the kitchen, master, spare, and main bathroom sink. The custom friction calls is what really kills me. They are collectors items that help you kill.

March Madness is right around the corner

Yes. I have the same problem. I’ve sold things then regretted it and then eventually break down and buy it again. That’s what I’m trying to avoid doing here again.

Yep been there done that a million times. The good thing is when you buy it the second time there is a 93.73% chance you immediately realize why you got rid of it the first time and won’t buy it again! It’s those ones you buy the third time that you probably should just keep....

Back