• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backpack - overload need some advice

Irondan

So I just ordered my complete Tethred saddle kit. I am going to be running four hawk helium short sticks with a two step aider on the bottom and one step aider on the others and the XL predator platform. I tried to get thru the backpack thread and searched the internet. Now I am more confused. I was looking at the Allen Bruiser and the Eberlstock x2. I walk about over a mile in. Last year I carried a summit climber and this year moved into saddle hunting. Excite to get out in the next week to get some hang time until the season starts. I have had cheap Farm and Fleet backpacks most of my life and want to invest in a good one. Thanks and good luck everyone.

+1 on the MR Pop Up. I’ll lay my sticks and platform in the meat shelf and can carry that thing all day long.

the Badlands packs are decent for the money. I got an older one last year off the classifieds and it has more pockets that I will ever need. If you're trying to go light and you hunt in warmer temps you probably don't need a giant pack.

I use a badlands also . I have used a lot of different brands and different sizes of packs,and come to realize the bigger the pack the more stuff you carry and again the weight issue on long treks.

Get what you like and your happy with.

I have always believed in good quality packs, at least for myself. They are worth it and such an important piece of equipment for myself. I have a Tenzing and Bandlands Superday that are the same thing just different brands. I use that up until I need to carry in my heavy bibs and jacket. When that time comes a pack with a meat shelf is what I like. Currently have a Horn Hunter but the zippers are a bit loud so I had to tape them. For me one pack does not fit all.

If you plan on only using the pack to carry in your hunting gear, almost anything with a waist belt/internal frame will work. If you plan on packing out game/additional weight, buy a good pack, period. For example: I run the new version of the Badlands 2200 pack, and I love it, for my hunting purposes locally. However, I have a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 for pack-in/multiple-day hunts or for packing game out. There's a pretty drastic price swing between the two packs, but each one serves its intended purpose for me. I usually would recommend getting maybe a little more than you need initially, you can always cinch it down tighter. For me the issue has always been the bulk of added layers during late season, more so than weight, when hunting locally.

I have always believed in good quality packs, at least for myself. They are worth it and such an important piece of equipment for myself. I have a Tenzing and Bandlands Superday that are the same thing just different brands. I use that up until I need to carry in my heavy bibs and jacket. When that time comes a pack with a meat shelf is what I like. Currently have a Horn Hunter but the zippers are a bit loud so I had to tape them. For me one pack does not fit all.

I would really love to get a new pack but in the mid west we pretty much just need day packs unless your doing an overnighter. I would love a bear tooth or something really functional for out west,
When I go I will have a good frame pack . Probably only way to go out there

Here it is guys! Sorry took so long. Not crazy about my sticks…..want something that packs muchhhhhhhh better and smaller. But it’ll work for now. A lot of my land is private anyways which I will have pegs to get up to platform CBF516C4-2F32-47F5-823C-DF2CC7712338.jpeg

Here it is guys! Sorry took so long. Not crazy about my sticks…..want something that packs muchhhhhhhh better and smaller. But it’ll work for now. A lot of my land is private anyways which I will have pegs to get up to platform View attachment 52301

Strongly considering the LWCG double step sticks for next year….big bucks but pack so much better.

I just switched from a superday to an Eberlestock X2. Went out for opening day and I am very happy with it. Tons of pockets and the back and shoulder support in amazing.

I just got in the Trophyline CAYS 2.0 today and played with it all day. As far as what I wanted it fits perfectly. My EDP and mini Doublesteps fit awesome. Super streamline and the pack holds the weight well. As long as the pack holds up all season I’ll be super happy with it. Buttt I always like trying new stuff and if I ever see Eberlestock x2 on sale I’ll give it a shot just for the giggles.

Waist belt is a must imo. I have that as requirement #1 when looking at packs, even if you aren't carrying that much, it just distributs the load that much more.

X2, Pop up 28, treehouse, Cays, F1 Mainframe, G3 horn hunter are all great packs and RELATIVELY inexpensive compared to other high end packs. All can be found used in the classifieds sometimes/often.

Early season I use a fanny pack with a shoulder harness but once the temps start dropping, I have to pack in layers because I sweat like I'm in a sauna so I can't wear them in. That's where a more frame style pack comes in handy. I'm a bigger dude so my XL bibs and jacket take up some space. If I had a basic backpack, it would be filled by those pieces alone, if not just my bibs.

I attached a picture of my F1 loaded up. You can't really see, but there are 3 LWCG doubles underneath the batwings. In the later season I'd have the sticks more on the outside and stuff the middle with heavy layers.
2838a049cc16f28ab49c326d923d09b4.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice set up im almost isn't the same situation with the bibs and heavy coat, I just picked up the tidewe. I had to try it with all the talk about this pack lately. Im really on the fence with it. Its made in China so im skeptical. Its very nice lots of room im just starting to set it up with my platform my first year in a saddle so im learning. Just switched my straps to amsteel daisychains also big weight differences

Back