• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Basic red/white bright headlamp

Exhumis

SH Member
There are other threads but not specific to what I’m looking for.
I have a black diamond that works fine but all the bells and whistles irritate me when I’m in the deer woods. 3 button presses for this, 2 for that, hold down this long to switch, strobe function for when you’re at the club, blah blah blah NO! I just want a stupid bright head lamp that has red and white lenses. What’s the crowd favorite?

My Coleman 2 pack for $7 from Sam’s work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd like a red headlamp that is actually bright enough to walk around with safely , it seems most of the red lights are for very close up work, so i just use a white light

the fenix headlamps i have are better than the black diamond, petzl, or princeton tech ones i've owned....i do carry a petzl zipka in my pocket as a backup though

the fenix headlamps are just quality simple lights with different brightness settings

I'm not much of a light guy but I have used this Streamlight Headlamp for years. It is simple and robust but not red. It is low green, high green, high white. Takes three, easy to find anywhere AAA batteries and has served me well for several years now. Also, the head straps are very durable not some cheap junk stretch straps.

EWO I believe now is selling a rechargeable head lamp as well but have not used one.

Hard to beat an energizer.

I went through the same frustrations with black diamond, then I came across the spot model. It has one on/off button, and one button that cycles through bright/dim/red. The on off button when held will dim the white lights, and if it’s held when it’s off it locks it off. That’s the extent of all the button pushing, no strobes, no club mode, no nonsense.

The only negative is that if you’re on white light mode, you have to turn it on and then push the cycle button to get to red. You can’t get to red without the light being on.

Princeton tech. 2 red 2 white. Reds are bright enough to walk in with.

I got the Fenix HM70R this year & have been loving it so far. Super bright spot if you want to see far. Nice white flood & has a good red light I use the most while walking in or out. You do have to hold the button down to switch from the spot mode to the red or white flood but it's pretty simple & way better than most other lights I've used.

Favorite thing about it is it's rechargeable so I don't blow through batteries like I used to.

I had a cabelas one that had two red and two white. It was great, by far my favorite headlamp. It would last all year on batteries and the lamp lasted 6-7 years before it finally quit. Unfortunately now that bps took over they no longer make it. I now use a black diamond storm and I don’t like it that much. Only reason I bought it was because you can adjust the red light on it. It has too many bells and whistles, it eats through the batteries, and I’m on my third light this hunting season. The other two had crappy battery compartments, one was wired up wrong so it would overheat, the other one the batteries would come loose and I would lose power.

I had a cabelas one that had two red and two white. It was great, by far my favorite headlamp. It would last all year on batteries and the lamp lasted 6-7 years before it finally quit. Unfortunately now that bps took over they no longer make it. I now use a black diamond storm and I don’t like it that much. Only reason I bought it was because you can adjust the red light on it. It has too many bells and whistles, it eats through the batteries, and I’m on my third light this hunting season. The other two had crappy battery compartments, one was wired up wrong so it would overheat, the other one the batteries would come loose and I would lose power.
Yeah I have a storm and it’s for those reasons I’m on the hunt

Back