• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best arrows for whitetail

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
Everyone has their own opinions on which arrow is the best, but if you are just starting out, just about any of the carbon arrows you can buy can out shoot most archers. The important thing is to make sure that the arrow is spined correctly for your draw length and draw weight

WayneCowhitetail

Sep 3, 2020
Shooting a bowtech revolt x 27" draw at about 65lbs I bought a bunch of gold tip warriors just not sure if that's what I wanna hunt with may just set them aside to shoot targets with

Hunter260

Sep 14, 2019
Ash Flat, AR
I don’t think there’s a “best arrow for whitetail”, but assuming you’re new to bow hunting there are a few general directions you can take.

You should spend around $5-$10 per shaft. Any less and you can’t trust the quality any more and you are either getting ripped off or getting more than you need. Beman ICS bowhunters, Golt tip Hunters and several carbon express arrows fit this requirement.

You should aim for a heavy ish arrow. 450-600 grains is optimal in my opinion but if you’ve done any research at all you’ll get 100 different opinions. NOT EVEN FOR PENETRATION here are the reasons you should aim for a heavier arrow. 1. Higher GPI = a tougher arrow. There’s more material in the wall. (Handy if you miss) 2. Shooting a slower bow will make you more accurate Especially if you are new. 3. Heavier arrows are quieter in a hunting situation. Black eagle carnivores, Element typhoons and Easton axis are all great in this regard. GPI should be between 9 and 13.

Honestly this should be most important and up top, but PICK THE RIGHT SPINE AND GET YOUR BOW TUNED. It’s pretty tough to pick a spine that won’t tune in a modern compound. Assuming you’re pulling above 60 lbs at more than 27 inches go 340 or 300. (Higher number is weaker spine) (carbon express has a different system) (always check the manufacturers spine chart)

READ THIS

Sgt. Beardface

SH Member
Oct 26, 2019
D over Delaware
Million good arrows out there. I just built some GT AirStrikes and so far they shoot excellent. Still wouldn't hesitate to hunt with my old FMJs though. Plenty of deer have been killed with most arrows out there.

Kurt

Nov 1, 2018
Massachusetts
Practice, practice, practice, is the key to wounding fewer deer.
If your newish limit your yardage until you get the hang of it. After that don't be afraid to reach out to 20yds, And practice, practice, practice, from your stand, wearing what you'll be wearing when you hunt,ie; face mask, gloves, bulky clothes, from your saddle. Limit yourself to high percentage shots. No way to get around the fact that if you do this long enough sh#$ will happen. Until you see how fast those buggers move if on alert with your own two eyes you just won't believe it. I call in deer pretty regularly and when they come in "lookin", you want them in your lap. Good luck out there.

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
Stick with it and you’ll wound deer and it won’t be the arrows fault.
If your warriors are spined correctly use them.

Reactions: Kowi Anukasha

wyetterp

Jan 2, 2019
LowCountry, SC
I'd recommend something in the 300 spine with ethics archery stainless steel inserts & the heaviest head you like. 200-300 grain head with the full ethics inserts will give you a really good foc. There's a lot of good arrows in that class from cheaper to expensive. I'd stay 100% carbon myself.

Main thing to get right is your arrow setup & spine. Sirius has one of the better spine charts. Get your foc as high as possible.

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
If you are just starting out hunting, then I would suggest a mid weight carbon shaft of the correct spine with 100 to 125 grains of point weight. Then tune it and put a decent fixed blade broadhead on it (like a slick trick of the same weight as your field point).

You are shooting a powerful enough bow that this set up is very ethical so long as you can shoot decently. I would not go down the super heavy, high FOC rabbit hole and throw in that complication until you get your feet under you. I also wouldn't go the other direction yet and shoot a super fast arrow.

Middle of the road is the right spot for you, I think.

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
I'd recommend something in the 300 spine with ethics archery stainless steel inserts & the heaviest head you like. 200-300 grain head with the full ethics inserts will give you a really good foc. There's a lot of good arrows in that class from cheaper to expensive. I'd stay 100% carbon myself.

Main thing to get right is your arrow setup & spine. Sirius has one of the better spine charts. Get your foc as high as possible.

Here is one from Victory Archery that tells me my 23 inch arrows from my 125 lb compound crossbow with 100 gr heads needs a spine of 350.

wyetterp

Jan 2, 2019
LowCountry, SC
Yeah I like the victory calculator. Forgot about that one. Makes it easy to input everything. I've found it to be pretty accurate as well.

Reactions: bj139