• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Packs For Holding Saddle Gear and Deer Quarters

HunterBob

I know there are a ton of backpack threads on here already and I have read through most (I think). I'm specifically looking for a pack that can hold all of my gear plus four quarters of a deer comfortably.

Looking at the Eberlstock X2 or the Alps Traverse packs but don't know if there are some other options that people would recommend.

For clarity's sake I am not hunting out west but I'm hunting Southern woods. Often times my spots are a mile and a half from my truck going up and down ridges. Hoping to find something where I don't have to go all the way back to my truck to get a meat hauler.

I’ve packed a bunch out with the popup and the hybrid.

I hunt places you hunt.

I hunt as far as you hunt.

If you carry a garage sale in the woods to hunt, and kill a 200+lb deer, you’re not getting it all out at one time without one of the big frame pack and bag combos.

If you’re a normal person and carry normal stuff, and shoot a 120lb doe, a popup will get it all out for you.

The long backpack threads are worth reading end to end. There’s not a single answer. Too many variables and hunting personalities and styles. Spend a few hours there, save a few hundred dollars buying and selling packs.

You don’t want to skimp on carry comfort and loading. So it’s best to check the boxes for primary function, and carrying a deer is an occasional thing…unless you kill a bunch. Getting a whole big deer and gear out /stand etc is a tall order. It’ll take 2 trips for most. A saddle could help make it possible but if it’s only a mile 2 trips are probably worth it.

Here’s what I believe makes sense … pack up and add as much as you can carry of your kill either boned out or however you choose to your pack. Take it back to the vehicle. Go in and get the rest. Idk how you’d so it another way unless you’re one big ass tough guy. So built in load hauler is a nice feature

I know there are a ton of backpack threads on here already and I have read through most (I think). I'm specifically looking for a pack that can hold all of my gear plus four quarters of a deer comfortably.

Looking at the Eberlstock X2 or the Alps Traverse packs but don't know if there are some other options that people would recommend.

For clarity's sake I am not hunting out west but I'm hunting Southern woods. Often times my spots are a mile and a half from my truck going up and down ridges. Hoping to find something where I don't have to go all the way back to my truck to get a meat hauler.

I think the best value for this is the pop up, especially right now since it’s on sale at camofire for $200. Get the 28 or 38 depending on how many clothes you carry. If you’re in the south then the 28 should be sufficient.

I’ve had the X2, it really doesn’t compare to the Popup regarding carrying meat.

The attached pics are of the Pop up with a whole deer and enough layers for a 28 degree day. It was 82#. The pop up 18 had a full boned out deer and similar layers, it was 60#

Attachments

• 94EF3388-0069-446E-BAE8-50956D9ED6FA.jpeg
    94EF3388-0069-446E-BAE8-50956D9ED6FA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
  • D74221EA-D1C5-40F7-BEB1-F612EC852468.jpeg
    D74221EA-D1C5-40F7-BEB1-F612EC852468.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
The pop up has served me well over the years. I bought one as soon as they came out. I don't think there's a more versatile pack for whitetail hunting.

Screenshot_20221022-123115_Gallery.jpg

If you're open to going big. The LWCG .5 with good straps will do it too.
You wouldn’t use a belt? The one that you can get from LW sucks. I’d have to outfit a .5 with full on belt and backpack straps, so because I use for multiple kinds of hunting, I just throw the .5 into the hauler of the Stryker XL

All for the MR pop up. I have the 28 and it forces me to not take the one extra thing I think I need haha. But it does hold lunch, jacket, and a few other small items as needed. Great for carry saddle/stand stuff. If you get a deer, can always leave saddle stuff behind, pack deer out and go back and get saddle/stand gear. Assuming you are huntig most whitetail type environments and not hiking 5 miles back in remote Idaho…

Why not the Eberlestock F1? You hunting very similar to how backpack hunters in the west do. Might as well take a page from their book

I’m an EXO Mountain gear guy myself. It’s overkill for what I typically need, however it gives me the ability to get everything in and out without much of an issue.

Concerning carrying the entire thing out at once I take it you’re planning on deboning before pack out? I carried a front and rear quarter along with my loose meat bag and head in a trip. Not sure if I really would have wanted to add an additional 2 quarters of bone in meat. Granted this all depends on the size of animal you shoot.

9E6A9D1E-05AA-45F1-9BEA-E59C95BE0896.jpeg

Another exo guy. It's light enough to hunt with every day and can handle as much weight as your willing to carry. 1800 most of the year. I did use the 4800 bag this year on a 3 mile in mountain hunt when I had to carry in bulky bibbs,coat,lunch and all the typical hunting gear.If I killed I would have had meat on the way out and would not have wanted that load with a lesser pack.

Back