• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Roll Pouch

"Best" is a subjective judgement that is different for everyone. Some people like the roll-up pouches. Some people like stuffing their rope in rope bags or Nalgene pouches. Others coil their rope and carry it in a pack. A lot depends on what rope you're using; 30' of 8mm Oplux packs down a lot smaller than 60' of 11mm Bluewater Assault.

In my limited experience I prefer using stuff pouches, I've got a homemade fleece stuff pouch (and 45' of C-IV) and I just picked up a Condor hydration pouch like this:CFP.jpeg

Start experimenting with what you have, and watch a lot of videos of what others use.

If you are settled on a roll pouch, it is hard to beat one from @beaston. He hooked me up and I couldn't be happier. good size, sturdy, durable, excellent craftsmanship. If you want to pouch it, an EWO fleece, a medium or large TX5, or the large Latitude worked best for me.

If you are settled on a roll pouch, it is hard to beat one from @beaston. He hooked me up and I couldn't be happier. good size, sturdy, durable, excellent craftsmanship. If you want to pouch it, an EWO fleece, a medium or large TX5, or the large Latitude worked best for me.
Thank you sir..

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Roll pouches suck IMO. Im sorry but they are a one stick gimmick, they look cool and all that but are just not logical. Trying to work all that one handed. Thats why every saddle manufacture isnt making them. A dump pouch is way better. My roll pouch lasted one night out sold on here and I use a Latitude dump pouch now. Works great

Roll pouches suck IMO. Im sorry but they are a one stick gimmick, they look cool and all that but are just not logical. Trying to work all that one handed. Thats why every saddle manufacture isnt making them. A dump pouch is way better. My roll pouch lasted one night out sold on here and I use a Latitude dump pouch now. Works great
I’ll agree with that over and over (I still have mine because I can never get rid of stuff) but I just went back to fleece pouches from ewo and it only took one practice run and 2 hunts with a roll pouch to say no thanks lol

I keep 40 ft in the bottom of a pop-up 28. Easy to access when it’s time, it stays safe, and it’s not going anywhere else. I feel like an extra rope bag is just another piece of gear to keep up with or keep out of the way.

I’ll agree with that over and over (I still have mine because I can never get rid of stuff) but I just went back to fleece pouches from ewo and it only took one practice run and 2 hunts with a roll pouch to say no thanks lol

I agree with this. I tried a roll pouch a few times and hated it. Some people love it, just not for me. The EWO fleece pouch is the way to go.

I work mine one handed. Never had an issue. I prefer the roll pouch to a dump pouch. Lets me separate and very securely hold the 8-10ft of tether and then all the rest for rappeling so they can be released independently when needed without any fuss. Also like that it holds the full length of tether in a sideways configuration on my waist. Less bulk flopping around. Also has the extra pockets for storing pull-down rope, etc., and only exposes that pocket exactly when I need it. Love it. Personal preference, of course.

I have one that my Father and I have been working on. I have an AreoHunter flex size 2 and what I have found is that the molley webbing doesn't come far enough forward for it to be positioned where I'd prefer it to be. The design is different than most other roll pouches being how we have the pocket. Most of the ones I have seen the pockets roll up with the rope and you can't access the pocket unless the pouch is deployed. Ours lets you have access to the pocket without it being deployed. We just need to make it a bit more ridged and add another attachment point. Currently we only have Two molley attachment points.

I like how the roll pouch lets you organize my aider, pull up/ retrieval rope, and my figure 8. So far I have not had an issue with being able to use it one handed. It did take a little getting use to at first but so far I really like it.

Im not saying anyone is BSing me but Id love to see a video of one handed roll pouch operation.

LOL. Sure. When I get some time this weekend I'll make a quick video of me loosening some G hooks by pulling up on them with one finger, and then sliding them off of the strap with one finger and one thumb.

Im not saying anyone is BSing me but Id love to see a video of one handed roll pouch operation.
you know that deploying the rope from a roll pouch is done one handed right? Rolling it back up nice and neat will most likely require two hands. thats the only issue I have with mine. its never as pretty and tight as when I roll it up with the saddle off

LOL. Sure. When I get some time this weekend I'll make a quick video of me loosening some G hooks by pulling up on them with one finger, and then sliding them off of the strap with one finger and one thumb.
You seem to have left out a couple steps. Cant wait to see your video.

Last edited:
Back