• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best rope for SRT/Rappel

arm breaker

SH Member
I know some folks are using Oplux for this but what would you all recommend for a relative newb to both techniques? Does anyone know where you can fairly easily get a sewn eye on a custom length?

I know some folks are using Oplux for this but what would you all recommend for a relative newb to both techniques? Does anyone know where you can fairly easily get a sewn eye on a custom length?
Just go ahead and buy a sufficient length of OpLux from EWO. You're going to end up with it in the end anyway ;)

Just go ahead and buy a sufficient length of OpLux from EWO. You're going to end up with it in the end anyway ;)

Haha, I have no doubt that’s going to happen anyway but I was wondering if Oplux was the best for both directions or if people just like it for weight and packability. I also really want to get something with a splice but that’s probably just my own hangup.

The best for rappelling and SRT is probably a rope in the 10 to 11 mm range. That is in terms of comfort and being square in the middle of most devices’ specs.

Never used it myself, but a popular choice is Samson Predator and it can be spliced.

Inevitably packability becomes a factor and people look at 8 to 9 mm options.

The best for rappelling and SRT is probably a rope in the 10 to 11 mm range. That is in terms of comfort and being square in the middle of most devices’ specs.

Never used it myself, but a popular choice is Samson Predator and it can be spliced.

Inevitably packability becomes a factor and people look at 8 to 9 mm options.

Is that Predator rope as stiff as some regular static climbing ropes? Does that make much difference?

I’m using 9mm htp. Have both a Grigri and a lifeguard. Works great so far.

I am currently using 9mm htp up and down, but plan on going to 8mm oplux. The $ was a consideration, as well as the spec issue but I’m banking on that being resolved by the time I can afford it. I also have Oplux tether and Predator lineman’s belt. Htp is stiffer, Predator is bigger, Oplux cost more.

Last edited:
Any issues with the Oplux not being as stiff? I’m liking it for my tether but less sure about rappel, but I don’t know what’s good or
Not since I’ve done fairly little of it. Any reason you don’t use it for a lineman’s?

Any reason you don’t use it for a lineman’s?

Predator came with my kite. I should have just got the saddle instead of the kit but I didn’t know any better. I will use Oplux for my lineman’s later too but changed out tether first just to see if I liked it.

Cool, I’m gonna do the same on the lineman’s so was just wondering if there was a good reason not to.

Back