• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best value non cellular trail cams

tmattson

For 2020, what's some if the best value non cellular trail cams? Instead of getting one high end one, would rather pick up two (maybe three?) mid range units.

I use the $35 Wildgame cameras on amazon. Picture quality is great and you can beat the value.

Attachments

• B9BFF660-1D90-4675-96CB-5FE88B225827.jpeg
    B9BFF660-1D90-4675-96CB-5FE88B225827.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
If you want to go really inexpensive, and don't care too much about fancy features and super hi-res images, I've found THESE (click here) LESHP RD1000 cameras on ebay to work pretty well. $30 and free shipping. They do pics only, video only, or both. You can adjust number of pics taken per trigger (1, 2, or 3), length of video (1 second to 10 minutes), and trigger reset time. Pic res can be 12MP, 8MP, or 5MP. Video is 1080P (or can be adjusted less for smaller files). Can record audio along with video. Password protected settings and viewing. Wide angle lens & PIR, 940nm LED's (42) for no glow night vision (65' range), 0.6s trigger time. Supports up to 32GB cards. Not the best specs, but not bad at all. I haven't used them in the field yet, but had them set up at home monitoring my front porch for a few weeks now. Working great, in both daylight and total dark, and in the rain. If they hold up in the field then I think they will be a great value. And if stolen or tampered with you don't have too much invested.

If you want to go really inexpensive, and don't care too much about fancy features and super hi-res images, I've found THESE (click here) LESHP RD1000 cameras on ebay to work pretty well. $30 and free shipping. They do pics only, video only, or both. You can adjust number of pics taken per trigger (1, 2, or 3), length of video (1 second to 10 minutes), and trigger reset time. Pic res can be 12MP, 8MP, or 5MP. Video is 1080P (or can be adjusted less for smaller files). Can record audio along with video. Password protected settings and viewing. Wide angle lens & PIR, 940nm LED's (42) for no glow night vision (65' range), 0.6s trigger time. Supports up to 32GB cards. Not the best specs, but not bad at all. I haven't used them in the field yet, but had them set up at home monitoring my front porch for a few weeks now. Working great, in both daylight and total dark, and in the rain. If they hold up in the field then I think they will be a great value. And if stolen or tampered with you don't have too much invested.

You have me interested in these. Do they have any visible light in the dark?

You have me interested in these. Do they have any visible light in the dark?

No visible light on this one. Any camera with "940nm" LED bulbs are out of the visible light spectrum for the human eye, and probably most animals too. Lots of trail cams have these lights, and they are often called "no glow" lights. The other popular bulb for trail cams are 850nm. These do have some visible red light, although not bright, and are often called "low glow" lights. The 940's, while invisible, don't provide as much light as the visible 850's; so not quite as much range for a night vision flash during picture taking. Most budget trail cams (under $100) have 940nm bulbs, and the bulb count basically determines the effective night vision flash distance. The cheap camera I posted about has 42 of the 940nm bulbs, which is a pretty high count, and gives a very respectable and useable 65' range. Lower bulb counts produce a shorter flash range. In comparison, a similar count of 850nm bulbs provides more light and more range (maybe 75' - 100'). But the red light will be visible.

Last edited:
The only cameras I think I’ll probably ever spend money on anymore is browning. I have several and they have all outlasted all of my cheap burners. They just plain work. The trigger speed, image quality, and ease of use are just tough to beat.

Those Walmart Tascos take decent pictures, but I have to pull the sd card out of one with tweezers, luckily I paid the $2 for the replacement plan. We will see how long it takes to get a new one.

I have had no issues with the Walmart tasco $28 cameras. I think I have 8 now. Can put em up and not really care if they get stolen or eaten by a bear.
I have had good luck with the Tasso as well. I did have one that the sensor was pointing to high on and would only take pictures really close. They can also be tricky from an elevated position and seem to have a rather narrow top to bottom sensor beam. Other than that they are great over bait, scrapes fence crossings etc.

Cloak Pro 14s from Wildgame Innovations for me.

My wife bought me a pack of 4 for around $150 I think.

Last edited:
I exclusively use Primos Proof cams. Have prolly 6 running at any given time, none have failed. Take great, clear pics, have decent battery life and are easy to set up.

I bought the Exodus Trek and Lift II and they are great cameras. With a 5 year warranty and if they are stolen I can get a new one at half the price. I also own 5 Browning cameras and they work very well. I usually wait for the Brownings to go on sale. I got the Exodus cameras at the Great American Outdoor Show for a really good price that I couldn't pass up.

The only cameras I think I’ll probably ever spend money on anymore is browning. I have several and they have all outlasted all of my cheap burners. They just plain work. The trigger speed, image quality, and ease of use are just tough to beat.

I agree, Browning cameras are among the very best, and are worth the money if you have it. But if not then... I do have one Browning and it's my favorite. But I have a few of the cheapies too, and they're working ok, for now. Durability might be a long term issue.

I bought the Exodus Trek and Lift II and they are great cameras. With a 5 year warranty and if they are stolen I can get a new one at half the price. I also own 5 Browning cameras and they work very well. I usually wait for the Brownings to go on sale. I got the Exodus cameras at the Great American Outdoor Show for a really good price that I couldn't pass up.
When/where do the Browning cameras go on sale, and how cheap can you find them when they do? I've made up my mind that I want to run Brownings, but don't want to buy until I know how low I can get them.

When/where do the Browning cameras go on sale, and how cheap can you find them when they do? I've made up my mind that I want to run Brownings, but don't want to buy until I know how low I can get them.
CAMLOCKbox has pretty good deals on them often.

Spypoint Link Micro cell cams on campfire today for $99.

You get 100 free pics a month whether you activate a plan or not. So use it like a normal camera but get the benefit of 100 to your phone pics a month...

I also picked up some older Covert MP6 from eBay (new in box) last year for ~$40 each (normally around $100.

You can go on their web site and see if they have refurbish cameras. They are warrantied just like a new one but I think since they are refurbished that they have been checked out. How many new cameras are check out like the refurbished ones are. I own a few refurbished cameras and they work just like a new one but cost less. If you hit their website right you can pick up some good deals.

Back