• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Better Hunting Through Chemistry

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I've been sitting on this thread for a while. Now that the rut is fast approaching for me, the hunting mania is steadily increasing. Soon the time will come to crank the knob to 11, and hunt until my health and sanity are temporarily ruined.

All day rut sits have proven incredibly successful for me, but the fact that they coincide with our worst weather and follow the hectic holidays mean they take a big toll. We always search for that little edge, and like pro athletes, I know some of us turn to performance boosters that allow us to achieve superhuman feats.

I thought it would be interesting to hear what everybody was using to push through the hard days. I'll start the confessing:

• Coffee - I know a lot of guys avoid it, but a caffeine hit combined with some soothing warmth can make a north wind much more tolerable. I dont usually imbibe on deer hunts, but almost always start the day with a cup, and I'll take a thermos along on bad days
  • 5 hour Energy - or a red bull, or a monster. I'm not picky. Last weekends hunt had me camping in my blazer during some pretty dismal conditions. Brewing coffee was not an appealing option, but I needed something. Enter the almighty 5-hour. Anytime I need a perk but can't Do the Brew, I'll reach for one of these.
  • Whiskey - uppers and downers for this old boy. I have never been much of a drinker, and since I started my weight-loss journey I drink less than ever. But a shot of whiskey in the evening (or a beer or two) can cure the pregame jitters, and make a cold sleeping bag a bit more bearable. My favorite camping nightcap is a mug of el-cheapo, Great Value apple cider warmed up and accompanied by a splash of Wild Turkey. Fast, cheap, and easy.
  • Sinus meds - I've always struggled with sinus and respiratory issues. Cold weather and campfire smoke exacerbates this issue. I run on Zyrtec and Dayquil for a lot of rut weekends.
  • Acetaminophen - about the only time I take pain relievers is while hunting. I dont care how tough you are, a week in the tree will make something on you hurt.
  • Emergen-C - I dont know if it actually works, or if it's a placebo. But I go through a pack or two of this stuff each year. I like to think it makes me less likely to catch my death of cold.
  • Ensure - Real food? Ain't nobody got time for that! When the hunt is on, a chuggable meal in the backpack makes things easier.

Please note that this is very much a for-fun thread. I do not advocate anybody snorting coke to stay awake in the deer stand. You maniacs stay safe!

I second the greatness of 5HE during hunting season. Getting up super early and staying alert all day would not be possible without it for me.

Staying hydrated is very important for me as well, but damn water is heavy! Wish someone would invent dehydrated water...

Big fan of good old Snickers bars too. Filling and give good energy on stand.

I second the greatness of 5HE during hunting season. Getting up super early and staying alert all day would not be possible without it for me.

Staying hydrated is very important for me as well, but damn water is heavy! Wish someone would invent dehydrated water...

Big fan of good old Snickers bars too. Filling and give good energy on stand.
I remember a recent thread on Rokslide that I responded to with "Snickers, snickers, snickers, and then some more snickers"

At the risk of sounding like a meth head... anything with pseudoephedrine. Aleve D is my go-to. Has a little something for the aches and pains, a little something for the sinus/respiratory symptom, and provides enough energy to get me through the day.

5 hour energy makes me sick to my stomach. Every. Single. Time.

Also, not gonna lie, a good morning sleeping in or some time spent in a comfy shooting house dozing off is good for the soul.

I will take a coke, the kind you drink so f I’m planning all day sits. I like to limit snacks to something deer would eat. Peanut butter crackers apples ets. I keep a goodys cool orange in my pack during hunting season. I will get a headache on slow days where I’m really focused trying to make a deer appear. Whiskey does make a tent much more comfortable. I’ll actually sip on bourbon usually before lying down. That’s really any time I’m spending the night away from home not just when camping.

Mio energy (caffeine and B vitamins) mixed in with water at bed stand when alarm goes off at 3AM. This gets me dressed and downstairs to get 2 to 3 Aleve. Then in the truck and off to hunting.

After the day is done, I’ll get unpacked and the boots on the boot dryer, and a quick shower, then a double shot or two of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey, and I am asleep like a baby.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

I start off with a Rockstar energy drink to chase down a Goody powder right before I head to the woods. Keep a Goody powder in my pocket for a midday pickup. Gets me through most days.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I will take a coke, the kind you drink so f I’m planning all day sits. I like to limit snacks to something deer would eat. Peanut butter crackers apples ets. I keep a goodys cool orange in my pack during hunting season. I will get a headache on slow days where I’m really focused trying to make a deer appear. Whiskey does make a tent much more comfortable. I’ll actually sip on bourbon usually before lying down. That’s really any time I’m spending the night away from home not just when camping.
deer do not eat peanut butter crackers. :) lol

Coffee in the morning first thing. Then I make one for the stand. That's usually gone by 10am. Then around 1 or 2pm a 5hr energy. I always bring some kind of snack. Chocolate.

Coffee is a must, at least 1/2 a pot. Protein drinks, peanut butter sammich on Dave's killer bread, and granola bars to eat. Aleve for pain. No alcohol for me, it doesn't agree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I usually try to stay away from that early morning cup of coffee unless I have a long drive to where I’m hunting, I like to save it for later so I won’t have to pee at prime time. There’s nothing worse than having the wrong weapon in your hand when that buck walks by.
For the remainder of the day there’s really only one or two options; a snickers or some other inferior bar of some sort.
Water is surprisingly satisfying when it’s needed so there’s always room in my pack for at least 16oz and if I know I’m going a long distance I’ll throw in more.
After the hunt is where I make up for lost calories, actually it’s the only time I really think about food, then I eat everything possible until I’m full.
I usually end the day with a couple good beers or a glass of bourbon and then I’m ready for a good eyelid inspection.
If there was one thing that I know would ruin an all day sit, for me it would be forgetting to pack snickers, water is a close second.

And dude, you’re killing me with your fast approaching rut. We’re watching it fade in the rear view mirror in Michigan for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to stay away from fast acting and fast digesting foods such as ones that contain a lot of sugar, grain, or other processed junk. All that is going to do is give flash in the pan energy . Sugar has limited use for immediate need situations, but is best used infrequently. Both high fat and high fiber foods slow digestion and keep us satiated longer. Think nuts and seeds, avacados for long lasting fuels.

Always lots of coffee. Hot coffee for when it is cold or for long leans.

Monster Zero
2 aleve
Advil cold and sinus
Copious amounts of water all day
Almonds
Macadamia nuts
Beef jerky for lunch
4 ibuprofen
Another Advil cold and sinus
Caffeine tablet
Almonds/ macadamia nuts again for snack
Fast food or mountain house meal for dinner
2 benedryl
10mg of melatonin

Rinse, wash, repeat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well as of December 6 if you are hunting public land in Michigan and happen to walk by someone up in a tree going at a bag of Fritos like a squirrel does a cob of corn just remember recreational use of marijuana is now Legal chances are he's got a bad case of the munchies and no it's not me.

Well as of December 6 if you are hunting public land in Michigan and happen to walk by someone up in a tree going at a bag of Fritos like a squirrel does a cob of corn just remember recreational use of marijuana is now Legal chances are he's got a bad case of the munchies and no it's not me.

Well it ain't legal but I was a little wilder in my younger days. This plant can:

Relax
Make the novel seem exciting
Engage creative thinking
Heighten senses and awareness
Change the perception of time

Not recommended for the scent control gurus...

Not saying I did or didn't ever brigthen up an all day sit....but in theory....

I used to haul all kinda food and coffee out there. These days my water bladder and ziploc of peanuts gets me through the day. I just don't need to eat much.

And yes 5 hour energy is great too. So damn expensive though. I didn't have any this year and survived.

So jealous of your upcoming rut. Our season is well in the rearview except some post-Xmas late season. Been suffering from an acute case of postseason depression for a month now.

I switched over to KETO over a year ago. During fall I usually eat 1-2 meals a day (IF) so I grab some BPC to start the day and then eat dinner. This year I got a little off track but when you are truly in ketosis you can go hard all day without eating if you have just a little body fat as your body is burning that for calories. But it is not something you just jump right into. To truly get fat adapted takes several months.

Back