• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bolt action

PJC

I'm liking the use of bolts on pre-drilled trees or even drilling a new tree if I have to.
The only thing that I have to deal with now is the noise they make. I dipped 2/3 of the length of the bolts in plastic dip. But that other 1/3 can make a lot of noise when walking in and climbing and as I fish them out of my pouch.
Any ideas how to silence them, or a packing method to keep them from clanking together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was me I would take 2 pieces of fabric and sew individual slots/pockets for each. Then when they are all in roll the entire thing up.

If that makes any sense lol

I've tried a few things over the years. I have used the elastic type rifle shell holders and stretched them onto my wrist before climbing. You can also buy a cartridge bandolier or belt.

Never really had a noise issue with them dipped. Compared to a climber,etc, it's a non issue.

But one end isn't dipped. That's where the noise comes from. If you dip the whole bolt they don't go into the drilled holes.

I know, mine are the same. Just have them in a pouch a noise hasn't been a issue for some reason. Just a old fieldline buddy lock pouch.

Reactions: PJC
But one end isn't dipped. That's where the noise comes from. If you dip the whole bolt they don't go into the drilled holes.

That's why I went with undercoating spray. My entire bolt is coated and it will slide intl the drilled holes. What drill bit are you using? My older woodpecker bit is smaller than the EZkut. It's just enough that the sprayed bolts won't go into woodpecker drilled holes, but slide easily into the EZkut holes.

Last edited:
That's why I went with undercoating spray. My entire bolt is coated and it will slide intl the drilled holes. What drill bit are you using? My older woodpecker bit is smaller than the EZkut. It's just enough that the sprayed bolts won't go into woodpecker drilled holes, but slide easily into the EZkut holes.

I'm using the EZ Kut drill also. What spray did you use? Undercarriage spray? Not plastidip spray?

I'm using the EZ Kut drill also. What spray did you use? Undercarriage spray? Not plastidip spray?

It was undercarriage or what I call undercoating. I did 2/3 light coats till it was completely covered. I originally tried the plastic dip. It did not adhere as well as this stuff. Bought it in paint dept. at Lowe's. It's a pretty common product.

BTW, to add to this old thread..... the best coating on bolts is Plastidip. when you put the bolts back into your pouch, simply alternate the orientation every other bolt... one up, one down. Storing like this will minimize noise dramatically.

BTW, to add to this old thread..... the best coating on bolts is Plastidip. when you put the bolts back into your pouch, simply alternate the orientation every other bolt... one up, one down. Storing like this will minimize noise dramatically.
I actually disagree. I used heat shrink on my bolts and it is way better! :D

Just electrical heat shrink for wiring from home depot.

Don't understand what the problem is. I've killed countless deer using the drill & bolt system for 35 years, and have never had a noise problem with the system. My bolts are coated with dip and I've carried them is several different pouches.

Don't understand what the problem is. I've killed countless deer using the drill & bolt system for 35 years, and have never had a noise problem with the system. My bolts are coated with dip and I've carried them is several different pouches.
It's just the insatiable desire to fix the unbroken. It's a common curse among saddle hunters. It courses through this community like no other.

Last edited:
I preset 5 trees today. The drill and bolt on the first two went quick and slick. On the next 3 I used bolts only for the first six then went with screw-ins. Those kicked my butt. Used the nifty little tool too but standing on one foot then the other while screwing in steps and navigating limbs wore me out. Still 2 or 3 o. That property I want to prep, but, another day. Don't want to make any mistakes being tired.

Back