• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

BOLTS for fat guys

stevethebreeze

Ok I know some people here use Bolts for presets. I have leased land and the owner is fine with it as long as I remove after the season

Here is my problem. Im 260 pounds of love and just tried an 8" Grade 8 5/16 bolt. It bent.

What are my options? What have you big boys used and found that worked?

I want to do quite a few Presets so that is why im looking at bolts and not screw ins.

I know @Nutterbuster does it but he is skinny, kinda.

So, thoughts?

Well I would start by trying to use a shorter bolt like 6". And make sure you only drill in so deep. Also put your foot as close to the tree as you can get

Try 6” bolts make sure your foot is against the tree when stepping on it.

The system is designed around using 6” bolts. If you use 8” bolts your supposed to cut the threaded portion off. If your bending. 6” grade 8 3/8” bolt your either heavier than 260 or jumping on the bolt.

Ok, would a 6" give you more strength than an 8" bolt? I only had half of it in the tree and also made sure I drilled it at an angle and not straight out thinking it would give me more leverage. I have 6" Nails but I dont think they are 5/16, maybe 1/4'' but I used to use those years ago and I was probably 30 pounds lighter

Did I do something wrong?

Ok, would a 6" give you more strength than an 8" bolt? I only had half of it in the tree and also made sure I drilled it at an angle and not straight out thinking it would give me more leverage. I have 6" Nails but I dont think they are 5/16, maybe 1/4'' but I used to use those years ago and I was probably 30 pounds lighter

Did I do something wrong?
The 5/16 is where you are going wrong for starters!

That's the one most recommend.

Along with this heat shrink tubing

Here is a thread with all you ever wanted to know about bolts

Back