• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bosun Chair?

Rpd3d

Has anyone ever used a Bosun Chair for a saddle? Looks like it has some merit.

I did find a video of a diy one.

3FF4E5C2-295F-4FD6-9991-7041438CE107.jpeg

The first saddle I made started its life as a bosun chair and it works great cause I still use it!!! But mine is a little different than the one in this video!

I have been experimenting and did this today with my DIY Yellow Jacket saddle.
1602031409182.png

Last edited:
Come to the light, the JX3 light, you are almost there..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch.
No platform required, only a ROS, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch.
No platform required, only a ROS, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs.
The biggest reason? $400.

Love mine,only thing I am looking to change is a shorter bridge.

I am using a Petzl Podium with a New Tribe rec saddle because of my climbing style . I have had both the Guidos and JX3 and this is just as comfortable. A central connection point instead of a bridge doesn't limit shot opportunities either.

Cedar Paul-
Are your legs supported by the saddle and your butt by the Podium?

This is a little prototype (hence the use of 6063 aluminum instead of 6061 and Swiss cheese holes on the whale tail) that @BudgetBuck1 and I made hanging out several weeks ago. It is extremely comfortable, just a little bulky to carry. I just utilize a regular back band with it and it is very close in comfort than my Guidos or the JX3 I tried. Zero hip pinch and the 3" of layered foam types is hard to beat. Everything is a trade off in saddle hunting, you get to choose from several wish list items, but no single design meets them all. I intend to tie a buckleless belt with Oplux on the bridge loops like the Latitude and a fixed Oplux bridge. All aluminum base and Oplux for everything else.
45c735f88b6d0e0a366b43d47b895a02.jpg
e64bf4b47093f1d39e480f5bd11fcded.jpg
09eabd3c1b122b8987bdd8a52d8f68ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Nice, yes my saddle still is supporting my legs to some degree but you can adjust the Podium to reduce pressure on the back of your legs. The attachment point is the same as the saddle but it is not designed to be life support. It is surprisingly comfortable and can be stowed for traveling.

also, the plastic in the tree suit is something you can source pretty easily to make your own. I took a picture and posted it somewhere I believe. Going off memory I think it’s stress relieved ldpe. Don’t quote me.

and finally, use a slot on your whale tail instead of two holes. Then a wing nut. The you can adjust for different lean and size trees.

if you send me a PM I’ll make you a smoking deal on the tree suit components I have I won’t mess with...

Back