• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bowhunting Tips for the Icebox, Please Give Me Some

HugeBull

Feb 27, 2020
OK, I have a confession, I am intimidated by bowhunting if the temps drop below freezing. I was born in Louisiana and lived half a century in Tennessee, but I have never hunted north of my adopted home state. I have hunted small game and deer in frigid temps, usually with a lot of stillhunting, but I have never bowhunted in the icebox.

My bowhunting gear is generally oriented around staying cool, not staying warm. I carry a small pack, wear my rubber boots, and add layers once in my stand. Usually I am shucking my sweaty t-shirt into a plastic bag to keep scent down. I have added a layer to my legs while dangling on a tiny platform, which isn't my favorite maneuver; I am afraid of dropping a boot while changing. Heck, even adding top layers can be a hassle, especially if you have to take off your hunters orange to add more warm layers underneath.

How do you guys do it? I'd love to hear your suggestions, as I am always trying to figure out how to do something better, usually something related to hunting. Help a skinny boy out, how do you guys manage?

Thanks.

Hugh

Reactions: Bigterp

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
Here’s a few threads:
Generally you’re doing it right. Sweat avoidance in cold weather is paramount. Quality layers and pieces that block the wind are super helpful. Doesn’t matter how thick your gear is if the wind is cutting right through it. Sweat transporting base layers are great as they get the sweat away from your skin where it evaporates. For myself I like to build a layered system rather just getting a super heavy piece that way I can mix and match as weather dictates. For example last sit I did it was 34 degrees. Start with a base layer. I wear bibs in colder weather as they help retain heat and provide a bit extra layering up top. On top I throw my heated vest for the walk in with my coat stowed on my pack and vest unzipped. Once at the tree and situated I monitor my body and as soon as I feel my body temp level off I fire up the heated vest, then don my jacket but leave it unzipped. Then as I cool a bit more I’ll zip it. The key is to allow sweat to rapidly evaporate without allowing you body to chill. Once you chill you’ll shiver then you’ll be miserable and that’s all you’ll think about. Shivering miserable hunters turn in early and they also might make mistakes which cause injuries.

Fgirtyman

SH Member
Apr 24, 2022
Northwest Wisconsin
WEBSITE
flirtygirty.com
OK, I have a confession, I am intimidated by bowhunting if the temps drop below freezing. I was born in Louisiana and lived half a century in Tennessee, but I have never hunted north of my adopted home state. I have hunted small game and deer in frigid temps, usually with a lot of stillhunting, but I have never bowhunted in the icebox.

My bowhunting gear is generally oriented around staying cool, not staying warm. I carry a small pack, wear my rubber boots, and add layers once in my stand. Usually I am shucking my sweaty t-shirt into a plastic bag to keep scent down. I have added a layer to my legs while dangling on a tiny platform, which isn't my favorite maneuver; I am afraid of dropping a boot while changing. Heck, even adding top layers can be a hassle, especially if you have to take off your hunters orange to add more warm layers underneath.

How do you guys do it? I'd love to hear your suggestions, as I am always trying to figure out how to do something better, usually something related to hunting. Help a skinny boy out, how do you guys manage?

Thanks.

Hugh
You probably need to get an xtra layer of fat… kidding. Lots of good options listed here. Threads talking about cold weather gear etc. hunt first hr or so and last hr. Crank your bow down, practice shooting It in your t shirt when it’s starts getting cold to get the idea. The lower the IQ the better you’ll do when it’s freezing!!

Reactions: Bigterp

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
@Exhumis Which heated vest do you use?
I use the Scentlok reactor vest. It’s hands down the best heated vest I’ve owned. I sat in 25 degree weather the other day in just my bibs with the vest over my baselayer with the vest on medium setting.

HugeBull

Feb 27, 2020
So, this is gonna be controversial, but anyone tried a skirt in the saddle?

I've been thinking about this for years, but hunting how we do, it seems that a hunting skirt that was fleece lined and wind proof would be the best solution to insulation on your legs. If it was long enough and closed at the bottom, it might even help keep your feet warm. Just a simple tube with drawstring closures at the top and bottom might work. Add a full length zipper and it might be even better, i.e. easier to get on. This would dispense with the need for taking boots off to get on pants, or fighting to get pants over the boots. You could also vent as needed with a zipper. Add even a tiny clip to your bridge or a gear loop, and you can keep it from falling down. Going over your saddle, with a gap in the front, eliminates the hassle of putting pants over a saddle and keeps your butt warm. I actually bought a camo fleece lined blanket for this purpose but never got around to modifying it for the season. Someone else recommended carrying a wool army blanket, but even an old poncho liner might work with some simple modifications. Think of it as a CGM Wubbie for your bootie; Jerry, you can add this to your line-up and won't owe me anything!

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
Oct 7, 2019
MN
So, this is gonna be controversial, but anyone tried a skirt in the saddle?

I've been thinking about this for years, but hunting how we do, it seems that a hunting skirt that was fleece lined and wind proof would be the best solution to insulation on your legs. If it was long enough and closed at the bottom, it might even help keep your feet warm. Just a simple tube with drawstring closures at the top and bottom might work. Add a full length zipper and it might be even better, i.e. easier to get on. This would dispense with the need for taking boots off to get on pants, or fighting to get pants over the boots. You could also vent as needed with a zipper. Add even a tiny clip to your bridge or a gear loop, and you can keep it from falling down. Going over your saddle, with a gap in the front, eliminates the hassle of putting pants over a saddle and keeps your butt warm. I actually bought a camo fleece lined blanket for this purpose but never got around to modifying it for the season. Someone else recommended carrying a wool army blanket, but even an old poncho liner might work with some simple modifications. Think of it as a CGM Wubbie for your bootie; Jerry, you can add this to your line-up and won't owe me anything!

Sounds like an IWOM EL

Reactions: pesqimon

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
Oct 7, 2019
MN
Windproof layers once you get to stand are a MUST. Good layers, I prefer a compression set layer as a base, since they are designed to be form fitting and moisture wicking. Wool on that if possible. Hand warmers. Hand muffs are great, since you can throw a big hand warmer in and keep both hands with minimal finger covering and keep warm.

These are things I've found help me keep warm as possible in the cold MN winters.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTaylor

HugeBull

Feb 27, 2020
I beg to argue against the claim that a pair of bibs does everything better:

1) I have never owned a bib with full length zips on both legs; they may be available and would probably change my opinions of bibs. Hence, I have always felt it a challenge to deal with hunting boots and legs of bibs. My last bibs had zips almost to the knees, but it was still a challenge to get them on or off over rubber boots. This was best accomplished while sitting on the ground. I can't imagine putting them on or taking them off while in a saddle on a small platform, much less a ROS.
2) How do you add a bib over a saddle? I bought some insulated pants a few years ago to avoid the front bib and have used these in my saddle, leaving the fly open and waist unsnapped. They are still a PITA to get on over boots though, as they only have zippers to the knees. Furthermore, getting a bib on all the way also implies that you have to get the bibs over your shoulders/neck or something. This implies that you may have to deal with your upper layer too. At least, you may have to take off your hunters orange layer and put it back on over the bib so that it remains on the outer layer if you are hunting in an area/season that requires HO, unless of course your bids are hunters orange. I sometimes have to deal with this when layering up or shedding a layer from my upper body now, and it is also a PITA.
3) I am accustomed to wearing my saddle to my stand. This would be a no go with adding a bib when I got to my stand. I would have to take off my saddle, add my bib, and put my saddle back on. Is there something that I am missing here? (Yes, I could just add my saddle at my tree, but see below)
4) Then, I would have to climb a tree in my bibs, generating more body heat, and potentially sweating more.
5) Would I need a larger saddle rig for winter, does a saddle that fits me on the TN opener in September still fit me when I layer up for winter with my bib on? Are you guys wearing your saddle over the bib or not?
6) I am one of those guys that seems to be running late more than I want to, so I prefer getting to and up my tree with as little time wasted as possible. I would rather add layers in the tree, sometimes an hour after first light . . .
7) I am also one of those guys that hates to set anything on the ground at my tree. Hence, I typically climb in my pack and only haul up my weapon (bow or gun). I once had a doe sniff the area where I layed my pack, snort, and run off, alerting two other deer in the area. So, how does one deal with bibs without laying more scent around the bottom of the tree?

I am not saying that my idea is for everyone, but apparently I am not alone in thinking that it might have value. I had never heard of the IWOM EL, but it looks like another's solution to my problem. It also looks similar to the Heater Body Suit, another solution to my criticisms of bibs. I'd be interested to hear from any saddle hunters that have used either how they work with a saddle. Realistically, it probably doesn't matter as I am really too cheap to shell out $300 for a suit I may not use at all in some years. Thus, I ought to just get my junk together and modify my camo throw. Or better yet, just become a better bowhunter and fill my freezer earlier before the deep freeze begins.

Good luck to all of you.

Hugh

Reactions: pesqimon

Kayl

Mar 20, 2021
Wisconsin
I beg to argue against the claim that a pair of bibs does everything better:

1) I have never owned a bib with full length zips on both legs; they may be available and would probably change my opinions of bibs. Hence, I have always felt it a challenge to deal with hunting boots and legs of bibs. My last bibs had zips almost to the knees, but it was still a challenge to get them on or off over rubber boots. This was best accomplished while sitting on the ground. I can't imagine putting them on or taking them off while in a saddle on a small platform, much less a ROS.
2) How do you add a bib over a saddle? I bought some insulated pants a few years ago to avoid the front bib and have used these in my saddle, leaving the fly open and waist unsnapped. They are still a PITA to get on over boots though, as they only have zippers to the knees. Furthermore, getting a bib on all the way also implies that you have to get the bibs over your shoulders/neck or something. This implies that you may have to deal with your upper layer too. At least, you may have to take off your hunters orange layer and put it back on over the bib so that it remains on the outer layer if you are hunting in an area/season that requires HO, unless of course your bids are hunters orange. I sometimes have to deal with this when layering up or shedding a layer from my upper body now, and it is also a PITA.
1) The First Lite Bibs unzip all the way up to the waist and are easy to get on/off without taking your boots off.
2) Put your bibs under your saddle while in the tree. Loosen your waistbelt after getting the legs on, slide the bibs up in front, then in back. Buckle and you're all set. I describe this in further detail in another post if you look at my history.

Reactions: Fgirtyman