• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Broadhead Target for Crossbows Above 400fps Question

Sbrammer

SH Member
I need some suggestions on what broadhead target you are using for crossbows above 400fps. I have a morrell high roller, and I can't even get a field point out of it.

Last season I had to drill the arrow, put a nail through the hole and pry the arrow out so I could retrieve my broadhead. Yesterday, I hit it with a field point so I can sight in a different style broadhead and could not get it to budge, even after putting arrow venom (lubricant for arrow retrievals) on the field point.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks all!

Put bow wax on the first few inches of the bolt when target shooting. I use a rinehart crossbow block target, it works well and gets easier as you shoot it. Just turn the cube so the arrow is pointing up and down, step on the target and pull up and out.

Double D arrow puller is what you need. Second, high speed crossbows you need separate targets for field points and bhs. The best for fps is spyderweb no speed limit targets, and for bhs you need a blob

I have a Ravin R10 and it buries a bolt....field tip or broadhead. o_O I use a Hurricane 520 bag target for field tips. This bag target has been the best for stopping arrows of all types at all speeds and it was only $52 off of Amazon.
Hurricane 520.jpg

I purchased a Block target for broadheads, from Bass Pro, for $80. Here's the thing about that..... I don't like crossbows and hope I never have to use mine unless I get injured....I'm not a fan of mechanical broadheads either. :rolleyes: I had to smear some bar soap on the front 4" of the shaft to get it out of the block target without leather gloves. o_O
I hate saying this....but, once you get your crossbow sighted in with field tips, just switch to a crossbow rated mechanical broadheads and go hunting. I don't like to do that, but the modern crossbows are so fast that shooting a fixed blade is nearly impossible. Mechanical broadheads rated for crossbows will get the job done and the flight is the same as the field tips. :)
R10 2.jpg

The only puller that worked for me was Double D arrow puller. It's expensive, but I worked my way up from the cheapest to $60 Double D, which finally worked.

I'm OK with spending money on something that works.

Also I had previously purchase the Scorpion Venom Arrow Release fluid, but don't think I was using enough of it. The directions say to coat the field tip but next time I will be coating the tip and 6 inches of shaft.

Thanks for the input all!

I have a Ravin R10 and it buries a bolt....field tip or broadhead. o_O I use a Hurricane 520 bag target for field tips. This bag target has been the best for stopping arrows of all types at all speeds and it was only $52 off of Amazon.
View attachment 90843

I purchased a Block target for broadheads, from Bass Pro, for $80. Here's the thing about that..... I don't like crossbows and hope I never have to use mine unless I get injured....I'm not a fan of mechanical broadheads either. :rolleyes: I had to smear some bar soap on the front 4" of the shaft to get it out of the block target without leather gloves. o_O
I hate saying this....but, once you get your crossbow sighted in with field tips, just switch to a crossbow rated mechanical broadheads and go hunting. I don't like to do that, but the modern crossbows are so fast that shooting a fixed blade is nearly impossible. Mechanical broadheads rated for crossbows will get the job done and the flight is the same as the field tips. :)
View attachment 90842
Just like Meatloaf said, “you took the words right outta my mouth” but thank jeebus there weren’t no kissin’ involved.
I was about to type a nearly verbatim reply. Even down to the bar of soap and sight in once shoot mechs even though you don’t wanna. Thank you, I’ll send the Monopoly dollars to Mrs. XC for your time.

View attachment 90843

View attachment 90842
I am not a crossbow shooter, but why do you think the speed makes it impossible to shoot fixed blades? Not sure I understand.

I am not a crossbow shooter, but why do you think the speed makes it impossible to shoot fixed blades? Not sure I understand.
I suppose I should've chosen a different word than "impossible", but anyway......
Aerodynamics of a fixed blade broadhead often effect getting good flight, but not always. I've used Slick Tricks with good results out to 40 yards. There's less aerodynamic interference with shorter blade profiles, like the Slick Trick. Definitely recommend a chisel tip type broadhead, due to the forces imparted to the broadhead upon contact. :)
I could've done some more testing, but didn't like shooting it in the first place. :rolleyes: I just prefer a vertical bow....compound, recurve and longbow. :cool:

I suppose I should've chosen a different word than "impossible", but anyway......
Aerodynamics of a fixed blade broadhead often effect getting good flight, but not always. I've used Slick Tricks with good results out to 40 yards. There's less aerodynamic interference with shorter blade profiles, like the Slick Trick. Definitely recommend a chisel tip type broadhead, due to the forces imparted to the broadhead upon contact. :)
I could've done some more testing, but didn't like shooting it in the first place. :rolleyes: I just prefer a vertical bow....compound, recurve and longbow. :cool:
Thanks! I am a compound bow guy myself. I can see where something throwing arrows that fast would need better tuning and maybe a larger fletching (?).

Rhinehart xl block works good. Can be a little tough pulling when new but they work. Also the hurricane bag target rates for crossbow is good too just won’t last like the Rhinehart ( of course nothing will).

Thanks! I am a compound bow guy myself. I can see where something throwing arrows that fast would need better tuning and maybe a larger fletching (?).
I have zero issue getting fixed blades to fly right out of my compound (shooting around 250fps). On crossbow shooting exactly 330fps, they flew great out to 25yds then at 30 I may as well have aimed completely off the target because I was seeing 8-12” deviations and worse. Not worth the headache especially when a crossbow shoots fast enough deploy any mechanical on the market and now the crossbow-specific mechanicals are all great quality tbh. mean sharp scary things, the lot of em. I have some grim reapers and I have no qualms about screwing them right on and hunting with them without practicing with a burner broadhead first. Most mechs come with a practice head anyway these days.
As was mentioned above, If you do go fixed the smaller profile the better, and chisel tip is a good idea because it’s a lot more similar to a field point in flight. Smaller cutting diameter will leave less surface area for blades to plane your arrow completely off course.
But you will save yourself some aggravation if you just shoot mechs outta that thing.

I'll throw this suggestion out there....
If you utilize the power of any given crossbow and fabricate a heavier bolt, it will tune easier, fly better with fixed blades and hit harder.

EXAMPLE: My Ravin R10 shoots a Ravin 400 grain bolt with a 100 grain tip weight included, at 400 fps. This is a Ravin bolt and it has a 21.3% FOC.
If I used the Ravin 500 grain bolt add a 100 gr. brass insert, about 18" of a 5 gpi weight tube inside the bolt and a 150 gr. fixed blade broadhead = 705 grain bolt weight....approximately. There would be nothing to stop that much driving force, for killing power....on a whitetail deer, mule deer, black bear or elk. :cool:

The speed and trajectory would be less, obviously and the speed dial would have to be adjusted on the scope, to match all of the yardage indicators. Shots at 40 yards would be as solid as any 20 yard shot out of a standard compound at a 70 lb. draw weight, but with much more force and with the same accuracy.

If a person wanted to go to the extra steps, it would/could work and it's something to think about. :)

I use rail lube on the first 3" or so behind the broadhead. I get my arrowheads poking out the backside of the target so I remove them, and tap them back with a hammer, until I have enough shaft exposed I can get a grip with my arrow puller and pull them out the rest of the way with that. I try to avoid shooting my broadheads at targets; just enough to confirm zero; practice with practice shafts and ignore any POI shift between broadheads and field points.

Back