• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Budget-friendly saddle pack

bigsquirrel

I've read a ton about the awesome packs that a lot of folks use for saddle hunting, but it seems that most of the best packs are $250 and up. Can anyone share a more affordable, high quality option that has worked well? Main features I'm looking for:
  • carry platform and sticks
  • durability
  • meat hauling capability would be nice but not sure that's realistic
Any ideas are certainly appreciated.

My dad and I picked up packs by 3v gear (velox) $55. Overall I was surprised by how well they carried sticks and packed saddle gear. If you have the predator platform it fits perfectly inside. Not enough room to use for meat hauling capabilities though.

Take a look at the Easton Flatline waist pack, there are two on eBay for less than $50. I’ve used this with good success. Has an aluminum frame, dump pouches built in and the straps on the bottom are long enough to cradle a set of sticks.

How far are you packing out? What state are you in?

Meat hauler or not is really the money question imo. Whatever you decide look for used stuff. If you want an affordable hauler check out used horn hunter stuff. Their main beam comes to mind and can be had for about $100 used at times. Eberlestock mainframe is a decent hauler and is really versatile. Their X2 has been all the rage with saddle guys, but it can also haul meat decently.

If you want high quality and don’t need meat hauling capability, I would recommend the Hill People Gear. You can find some good deals in their used stuff. They also can be configured to haul meat.

From what I can tell the MR pop up is probably the best of both worlds kinda pack but it's a bit above that $250 number. It was on camofire for like $269 a couple of weeks ago though. The X2 looks awesome but I'm just over 5'11" and from all of the reviews I saw 5'11" is about the cutoff line for decent fitting. It's also really wide and the pack that I was looking to replace had a very similar foot print and was too short for my torso. I just admitted to myself that I very very rarely pack a deer out and generally don't need to carry more than 30 lbs so the load shelf and hauling capacity could be sacrificed for cheaper and lighter pack. If you can find the kuiu venture 2300 on sale it's a very good pack for less than $200. I got it 15% off a few weeks ago and it was just 25% off for Presidents Day. It's got a good long profile, super light, all the right straps, very organized, comfortable, etc. It's a little tight with a heavy jacket and bibs would need to be strapped. This is where I mostly would like to have the load shelf but again there are enough straps to make it work. You could probably pack a deer out with it but it won't be the most comfortable thing in the world. I'll probably pick up a horn hunter or pop up at some point down the road for pack jobs.

I searched long for a pack right along the lines of what you're looking for meaning it can carry platform/steps and possibly double as a meat hauler, but not break the bank. What I found is that it was hard to find something in my price point which was under $200, especially something that could accommodate the sticks and be durable.

I settled on the Slumberjack Hone. Because of the compression pouch and outer MOLLE I can carry my Skeletor sticks and Predator XL. From there I still have the main pocket and outer pouches for storage. Now, carrying meat will require one trip to dump the gear and a second to get the rest of the meat, but given the price point I need to compromise somewhere. I can't speak to durability yet, but it feel like it'll fit the bill.

Bottom line is if you want it all in one I've found you'll have to pay for it.

Huntworth Lodi for just $79 is perfect for me. Attach EDP or platform of choice on outside and stick or sticks on bottom of pack with plenty of pockets and storage space inside. Good YouTube review by Average Jack Archery.

Emphasizing BUDGET, you can do pretty well with a surplus molle ii rucksack & frame (approx $90) - or just the frame + shoulder + waist straps (approx $60) on ebay. You'll be trading "bestest, most comfortable, lightest" for "cheap". I do it, and it works. Kifaru snobs shun me.

The large rucksack will hold your cold weather gear, deer paraphernalia, etc. Plus your shorts and flip flops and mother-in-law or a quartered deer and has compression straps to get as small as possible. You can easily find about 4,000 molle or frame points to lash sticks, platform, etc. to it. Empty, that setup weighs somewhere around 9lbs, which is quite a lot compared to Kifaru, etc... but you can afford it.

2 other options: Get the molle frame + shoulders + waist setup (~$60) and:
1. add a surplus 3-day assault pack (approx $45). You'll have to finagle the assault pack to mount on the frame, but you can. You can lash sticks/platform to the bag/frame. Doesn't solve hauling, but is a smaller, probably lighter bag. Looks like it'd still carry cold weather layers and deer gear with room to spare. The rucksack is cavernous by comparison.
and/or
2. Get a Wilderness Packs Handi pak ( https://www.wildernesspacks.net/product-page/handi-pak approx $30) and that will connect to just the frame, and works as a meat hauler. Is not a bag, so you won't be carrying mother-in-law + cold layers + leftover pizza in it... but it will haul just a mother-in-law or quartered deer. Or a whole deer/mother-in-law depending on size/orientation.

I have the whole rucksack+frame and handipak setup, and I'm probably going to get an assault pack to combine with the frame + handipak and ditch the ruck. May save weight, probably will save random dangling/irritatingly uncontrolled straps everywhere. All in still under $200.

I can't believe that more saddle hunters don't use this pack. It has two compartments. The lower I put my saddle in. The upper my layers, thermos, etc. The side pouches have my calls, lunch, book etc. It can collapse down to be smaller, and be fully loaded with piles of gear. On my late season hunts here in cold weather I have it loaded with sweaters and jackets. The best part is the price. Here is it shown at $89 but I got mine at a surplus store for $60.

I agree that it is big, but when you need it you need it.

1645554534442.png

How far are you packing out? What state are you in?

Meat hauler or not is really the money question imo. Whatever you decide look for used stuff. If you want an affordable hauler check out used horn hunter stuff. Their main beam comes to mind and can be had for about $100 used at times. Eberlestock mainframe is a decent hauler and is really versatile. Their X2 has been all the rage with saddle guys, but it can also haul meat decently.

If you want high quality and don’t need meat hauling capability, I would recommend the Hill People Gear. You can find some good deals in their used stuff. They also can be configured to haul meat.
I am a Louisiana public land hunter. Pack out would be about 1.5 miles max with typical pack out being a mile or so.

Thank you for the great suggestions.

I searched long for a pack right along the lines of what you're looking for meaning it can carry platform/steps and possibly double as a meat hauler, but not break the bank. What I found is that it was hard to find something in my price point which was under $200, especially something that could accommodate the sticks and be durable.

I settled on the Slumberjack Hone. Because of the compression pouch and outer MOLLE I can carry my Skeletor sticks and Predator XL. From there I still have the main pocket and outer pouches for storage. Now, carrying meat will require one trip to dump the gear and a second to get the rest of the meat, but given the price point I need to compromise somewhere. I can't speak to durability yet, but it feel like it'll fit the bill.

I’ve never heard even heard of this brand. Thank you for sharing! This looks like a really nice option. Do you put your sticks on the side? Or are there straps on the bottom?

I’ve never heard even heard of this brand. Thank you for sharing! This looks like a really nice option. Do you put your sticks on the side? Or are there straps on the bottom?

I actually haven't tried to strap them to the side. I bought Sidewinders from 5.11 https://www.511tactical.com/sidewinder-straps-lg-2pk.html.

These slip in the MOLLE on the outermost portion of the compression pack. Sticks go horizontal and use the sidewinder to tie them to the pack. The platform goes on the other side of the compression portion and cinched tight. Nice and compact. This pack rides high so the weight is higher up where it should instead of near the lower back.

I would second finding a used quality pack frame. The frame and the waste belt are where u are going to find the comfort and strength to pack out. U can attach any bag u already own to it.

I looked up this pack, and it intrigued me. But every bad review it had was because of how noisy the material was. If it's the same material that my hiking pack is made out of it (which it seems to be from the review video), there's no way I could hunt with it.

I've also had my eyes on the Helikon Tex Foxtrot Mk2... for less than $100 it could be good. Someone try it and let us know.

Most of your hunting packs are made from cordura and they are noisy. Since they usually offer a life time warranty, they make them out of heavy noisy material. I was at a retail store a few years ago and they had a big selection of packs. This is what I found. Your Sitka packs have the quietest zippers and material but they are built lite. Horn Hunter packs are the next quietest, but my Main Beam has a sqeek where the backpack straps attach. The Badlands were built tuff but noisy. The Alps were just as bad. They also had a noisy off brand. I would look at the Horn Huner, but test it out loaded so if. It squeaks you can return it.

I looked up this pack, and it intrigued me. But every bad review it had was because of how noisy the material was. If it's the same material that my hiking pack is made out of it (which it seems to be from the review video), there's no way I could hunt with it.

I personally didn't find it to be noisy, but I guess that's probably subjective. Finding a pack under $200, that fits the needs described is tough. I'm willing to trade a little noise (it's not like I'm setting off an air horn) cause once my pack is hung I rarely go rooting around in it, so it's a non-issue for me

Back