• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Budget friendly

Hlzr

So after switching to a saddle this past season my youngest son has said he wants to switch over also. After doing a search for budget gear I was thinking how nice it would be to have a thread dedicated to exactly that, maybe there is one idk, a list of the most affordable gear available. Maybe a "sticky", at least I think thats what they are called, posted in the new users forum or somewhere easily found. Would let potential new users be aware of the actual cost of jumping into this instead of the high dollar items that we all tend to go on and on about.

So after switching to a saddle this past season my youngest son has said he wants to switch over also. After doing a search for budget gear I was thinking how nice it would be to have a thread dedicated to exactly that, maybe there is one idk, a list of the most affordable gear available. Maybe a "sticky", at least I think thats what they are called, posted in the new users forum or somewhere easily found. Would let potential new users be aware of the actual cost of jumping into this instead of the high dollar items that we all tend to go on and on about.

What do you mean by budget gear?

Only issue I see is who is going to make AND keep a list up to date considering prices fluctuate. Also there’s a few YouTube videos on how to get into it on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no such thing to solve this, since everything is subjective to comfort and how you hunt.
Like anything, buying the cheapest thing may not creat the most enjoyable experience and result in you selling it loosing money. Buy stuff off the classifieds. If you like it, keep it. If not, sell it back. Or find someone to try stuff. But trying to stay on the cheap may not be the best result. It may generate frustration and end up in you switching back. If you ask me.
Oh, and don't try cutting corners on the safety equipment. Your life is literally on the line. The few falls I read about on here were guys using incorrect knots or incorrect ropes. It's not worth trying to save 50 bucks.

Budget and hunting are mutually exclusive in my book. If the price of anything hunting related is an issue and your main reason for chosing your gear, you should choose something else to occupy your time. You get what you pay for in life, but especially in hunting gear.

Budget and hunting are mutually exclusive in my book. If the price of anything hunting related is an issue and your main reason for chosing your gear, you should choose something else to occupy your time. You get what you pay for in life, but especially in hunting gear.

Totally disagree. You shouldn’t not hunt because you can’t afford the most expensive equipment.

There are $300 rifles that shoot as well / better than rifles that cost many multiples of that.

There are inexpensive compound bows that perform better than trad bows exceeding 1k.

You shouldn’t give up and bowl because you can‘t afford a 12k shotgun. Just like you shouldn’t not drive because you can’t afford a Ferrari.

I don't think there is such a thread. It gets problematic pretty quickly because one person's budget friendly is another person's too risky.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It can be done on a budget... Especially if it's for a younger person that won't get as uncomfortable as easily... Rock harness and sitdrag or fleece and some ropes off the classifieds or purchase new...u don't have to have the latest flavor of rope that is trending and expensive. I'm always on a limited budget and can promise u it can be done...u might have to be a little patient waiting on deals or better yet get out of your comfort zone and learn a new skill and make it yourself.

Cost is going to depend a lot on where you are starting from (what mobile hunting equipment you already have) but as @Weldabeast pointed out a rock climbing harness and fleece saddle or SitDrag are a good, safe, cheap way to start out. That's what I did. Bought some 8mm accessory cord from a rock-climbing store for a tether and LB and some carabiners and started hunting. You can also save money on some of the expensive hardware by learning to tie a handful of knots and hitches. Add components as you need (want) instead of spending a bunch up front. Just make sure you are making safety your primary objective. This niche style of hunting doesn't have to be that expensive. In fact just a few years ago it wasn't.

What do you mean by budget gear?

Only issue I see is who is going to make AND keep a list up to date considering prices fluctuate. Also there’s a few YouTube videos on how to get into it on the cheap.

Perhaps the 3 lowest cost items available commercially, a list of the 3 most cost effective saddles for example. Platforms, tethers and linesman rigging, steps, and any other necessities for jumping down this rabbit hole lol

As for maintaining it I'd think a moderator or administer of the forum would have to maintain the lists through suggestions in the form of posts from the members, in all honesty I have no idea how it would work buy I do see such setups on other forums.

While I do think this request/suggestion doesn't have a simple solution. I'll give my recommendation to the OP. But I think you should understand that budget usually means weight and ease of use. You can cut a tree with an axe or chainsaw. Also remember that its a long time until next season, some time its better to save up for a good product. But there is nothing wrong with spending some capital on 'learning/entry' items. Like MOST people first car is not a BMW, but a dependable Honda Civic that get you from A to B.

If you are hunting private land that you can preset sticks, I would honestly just go to craiglist and buy a bunch of old climbing sticks or ladder stands for $20. Some people are basically giving it away too.

If you're public land, budget usually means weight so it just what you are comfortable carrying in. My father-in-law used to carry 35lbs climber, now he ATV to a ground blind...

The classified and camofire is your friend!

Hawk Helium are the most popular budget entry sticks. XOP also. Both are around $100-120 for a set of 4 during sales.
OR right now, a single Hawk Helium 20' step is on sale at Amazon for $35 and free shipping. Learn 1 stick climbing.

Recon Saddle is 149.99 new. But you can find some used Trophyline for a little less on the classified if you wait for a good deal.
OR RCH+sitdrag/fleece is my suggestion.

Platforms can be made, if you dont feel like working with metal. Honestly a few pieces of 2x4 cut at angle and ratcket straps would work.
OR Hawk has the HSP for like 30-40. Add that to your $35 stick and some aiders. You can have a budget 'ultimate' 1 stick for under $70-80. Some time and effort to make it quiet

Perhaps the 3 lowest cost items available commercially, a list of the 3 most cost effective saddles for example. Platforms, tethers and linesman rigging, steps, and any other necessities for jumping down this rabbit hole lol

As for maintaining it I'd think a moderator or administer of the forum would have to maintain the lists through suggestions in the form of posts from the members, in all honesty I have no idea how it would work buy I do see such setups on other forums.
It's a lot more complicated than that. Cheapest to buy or cheapest to own? It's cheaper to buy a cheap rock harness...but might lose more if reselling vs a second-hand commercial saddle.

And diy with a rch and a fleece saddle is probably cheapest (and comfy) - but it's not for everyone. Recon sling is an inexpensive commercial option.

Bolts and a drill are cheap, but not legal everywhere. Plenty of cheap or diy steps, sticks and platforms. 2-tether climbing is pretty cheap.

Rope pay for the right stuff.

There's also always some line where things are "cheap enough" and better to choose on preference/performance.

And there's enough variety in function between gear that there's not just say cheap/good/better/best - there are flat-out different pieces of gear.

I think if you spent about 10 hours reading on this forum, have about 2000.00 cash, and are patient, you can saddle hunt for something like 100.00 a year.

how? Buy used gear on the classifieds, and sell it all each season.

money is simply a unit of exchange for time. Both can be used to get saddle gear. Add patience, and you can do it for basically free.

so I disagree with the idea you can’t hunt without money. You can, but you need time. If you don’t have either, sit on a bucket to hunt. If you can’t afford to spend either, sit on a bucket to hunt.

I thought about this as well. I asked some questions. It's not a good idea. Someone will be upset there name isn't on the list. Or there promoting everyone else's stuff, Or vendors will be crying because there name isn't at the top. Or something is wrong. It's not worth it. There is enough drama on here over stupid things. Use this forum to ask questions and get options. Just ask Google and they can help you find almost anything you want to buy. Do your research and compare. Don't count on what someone says in here because he shoots a big buck every year with a 200 dollar (claimed) set up.

I thought about this as well. I asked some questions. It's not a good idea. Someone will be upset there name isn't on the list. Or there promoting everyone else's stuff, Or vendors will be crying because there name isn't at the top. Or something is wrong. It's not worth it. There is enough drama on here over stupid things. Use this forum to ask questions and get options. Just ask Google and they can help you find almost anything you want to buy. Do your research and compare. Don't count on what someone says in here because he shoots a big buck every year with a 200 dollar (claimed) set up.
There's also the simple matter that the cheapest way to do things may often be DIY which requires a threshold of knowledge/experience to do safely. That's most reliably and safely passed on in person, in the context of actual discussions. Not the sorta stuff you put in a FAQ.

Get a mentor if possible. Borrow their leftovers.

Budget is hawk. Cost effective is buying used over time.

What is the primary metric in this list? Cost?

I live by the motto, "always buy the best you can AFFORD". Afford to one person might be $75, another person might be $2000. I was in the fly fishing industry for years. (Same goes for hunting) I would see guys buy 10 "budget" reels, sometimes 2 per year, and spend twice as much as I did on a great reel, that is still working today. I could go on forever. Save up, buy the best you can AFFORD. Yes that $250 rifle works, but you flinch everytime you pull the trigger, or the bolt is sticky. Save up and get the $600+ rifle. Do you really need that Starbucks, pack of cigarettes, or beer every night? That stuff adds up quickly.

Tree Hopper Tree Suit platform, Tree Hopper Recon Sling saddle, Hawk Helium 20" sticks, buy good climbing rope from a legit seller and learn to tie knots, find some climbing carabiners on sale at REI or another legit online seller.

You can get in the game for 400 or less. You can save by going used. If it were me, I would buy a new saddle and new ropes/carabiners and go used on sticks and platform because the saddle and ropes/carabiners are life support.

Last edited:
Back