• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Budget SRT?

RandomHero18

Hey everyone I recently came across this video of NYSH:

I love the idea of this method and I think is exactly what I would be looking for. My family has land that I hunt so presets can be put up all day. However I recently had my first child and disposable income is tough to come by at the moment. Is there a budget friendly (and safe!) way to try this method or really any SRT method so I can make sure I like it before dropping this much on a system like this?

I do have my saddle, a figure 8, and 35ft of oplux for repelling already.

Thanks.

I'm not qualified by any mean to offer advice. But two friction hitches could be used to move up a rope. One with a foot loop, and the other tied to your saddle. The friction hitch would be harder to break and slide. But there is a thread on here with a few different ones to try. You have to come up with a tied foot loop to attach some how. Plus a few carabineers.

The videos greatest attribute is the rope setting and retrieval method. I LOVE these guys and their videos. but. I sm perfecting my SRT and I'm stll all about the gri gri/hand ascender method.

f4 has a danger factor that the gri gri plus nullifies

Isn’t budget srt called DRT?
Yeah. But he would have to get some longer rope and HR hitch cord. Might as well buy a hand ascender and foot loop for about the same price.
I bet there is a handful of guys with hand ascenders sitting in their box of goodies collecting dust. Could probably aquire one fairly cheap on the classifieds.

If I can some disposable cash, I want to switch to this system and get away from my current SRT setup. Nothing wrong with it but the teufelberger rope is the opposite of packable and takes up way to much room in the pack. Ditto for my DRT setup.

Yup, you can just use a friction hitch for climbing. Might need some cord is all. I use a JRB ascender and the Garda foot loop.

Hey everyone I recently came across this video of NYSH:

I love the idea of this method and I think is exactly what I would be looking for. My family has land that I hunt so presets can be put up all day. However I recently had my first child and disposable income is tough to come by at the moment. Is there a budget friendly (and safe!) way to try this method or really any SRT method so I can make sure I like it before dropping this much on a system like this?

I do have my saddle, a figure 8, and 35ft of oplux for repelling already.

Thanks.
This is called RADS SRT. Rapid Ascent Descent SRT or some such. You can do the same thing with 2 friction hitches and some 'biners and pulleys, which will save you about $200 worth of hardware. That said the F4 device looks like a great gizmo, made for 8mm line. If/when I replace my 9mm C-IV it will probably be with 8mm Oplux or Resc-Tec, with an F4 device. As suggested above, check out @John RB 's Youtube channel, JRB climbing. I think he has a recent video on RADS SRT with friction hitches, probably his Longhorn Agile hitch, but I can't find the video at the moment. Hopefully he'll chime in.

This is called RADS SRT. Rapid Ascent Descent SRT or some such. You can do the same thing with 2 friction hitches and some 'biners and pulleys, which will save you about $200 worth of hardware. That said the F4 device looks like a great gizmo, made for 8mm line. If/when I replace my 9mm C-IV it will probably be with 8mm Oplux or Resc-Tec, with an F4 device. As suggested above, check out @John RB 's Youtube channel, JRB climbing. I think he has a recent video on RADS SRT with friction hitches, probably his Longhorn Agile hitch, but I can't find the video at the moment. Hopefully he'll chime in.
So first off, I consider the boys at New York Saddle to be respected friends and colleagues. I have not climbed on that system and so my commentary is about RADS SRT, not about the new Halfline system.

If you're not familiar with the concept of mechanical advantage, it basically uses a multiplication force by transferring our weight onto several strands and so we can move up by pulling less than our body weight. Long story short: RADS is a 3:1 system. That means that if we pull the rope down 18inches, we are only going to move up 6in. DRT/MRS is a 2:1 system, so we pull 18 and move 9. But a true SRT or DSRT is a 1:1 system . Personally, after having done all of em... I find it unacceptably slow to climb at anything but a 1:1. Ok, but is it hard? The answer is simply that it depends on your system. The more parts of your body which are engaged in the rising move, the easier it will be. I recently did a 1:1 climb carrying 100lbs of cast iron. The hardest part was figuring out how to wear the weight. But i was using both arms and legs for the rising move.

I once was with a guy who was 380lbs trying to execute a 1:1 climb on my gear. He had a hard time, partially because of strength and also because his body size made it difficult to get close to the rope. After that experience, I left believing that RADS might be more appealing for a bigger guy.

Ok, now even though we move at a 3:1 pace, that doesn't mean we're actually getting a 3:1 mechanical advantage... simply because there is some amount of loss as the rope bends twice and is subjected to friction. Nothing will be as lossless as a good mechanical device and pulley. I did this demonstration just to show off the properties of the hitch, not because I plan to climb that way.

Watch me climb with one hand and one foot in minute 4. Then RADS in minute 6.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Watched the video…at the end you asked what we think, I think since you’re promoting your website, Patreon, affiliated links, etc., you should kick down a few bucks to the site and become a paid vendor :D

Jrb tree climbing. All you need is rope and a couple caribiners. He isn't trying to push products like most.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I'm a small business owner myself so more power to him, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that he's earning money from it. But if someone is using the site to promote their business then kick in a few bucks. That's all. Just my opinion, it's ok if you disagree with it. This is from his site...

Friends get a 10% discount using “JRB10” Coupon Code at:
https://www.rocknarbor.com/

1. Use the icons above to access to the YouTube Channel, Facebook group and Patreon, where any amount of financial support is greatly appreciated

Further down.... "As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases"

Jrb tree climbing. All you need is rope and a couple caribiners. He isn't trying to push products like most.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

There are a number of long time members here on the site that have saddle related business and don’t use the site to actively promote their products. But they wear the badge and respect the processes outlined by the moderators for vendors / reps.

Watched the video…at the end you asked what we think, I think since you’re promoting your website, Patreon, affiliated links, etc., you should kick down a few bucks to the site and become a paid vendor :D
I agree. He is an LLC representing his brand and now he is peddling RNR products which I’m sure that discount code gives him a small percentage kick back. It’s not fair to other vendors who can’t promote, give specs on their products (outside the vendor area) or talk negatively about others products when John has free reign to promote his business and RNR on every post about ropes

I'm a small business owner myself so more power to him, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that he's earning money from it. But if someone is using the site to promote their business then kick in a few bucks. That's all. Just my opinion, it's ok if you disagree with it. This is from his site...

Friends get a 10% discount using “JRB10” Coupon Code at:
https://www.rocknarbor.com/

1. Use the icons above to access to the YouTube Channel, Facebook group and Patreon, where any amount of financial support is greatly appreciated

Further down.... "As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases"
For the record, I don't follow all the threads and such and so I am not familiar with the concept and cost of being a "vendor" and the associated badge. If Brydan can send me a PM with the details, I will look into it tonight as I am starting my workday shortly and wont be online. Also be aware that I am not actually a "vendor" in the literal sense that a vendor sells something. I spend money hosting a website so I can give you information. It would take me little effort to sell climbing systems on my website. It's just not a priority for me. Getting everyones butt tied in is a priority. Instead, I spend countless hours developing intellectual property (that others would attempt to patent for profit) and I disclose it publicly for free for others to use, and potentially sell. Much of the content isn't even for me. I get called into chats like this and try to help. And when you do need to buy something, I direct you to where you can go to buy it at a discount. I have had multiple offers from companies who would provide me a way to make a significant commission by pushing their products but you pay full price. I said : No Thanks. I am only interested in deals if you guys get a discount. My motto is basically: I am fine with pennies earned with integrity instead of dollars selling gear. Bottom line is that I am not interested in earning any income if it comes with even a hint of a question on my integrity and motivation. Cheers.

For the record, I don't follow all the threads and such and so I am not familiar with the concept and cost of being a "vendor" and the associated badge. If Brydan can send me a PM with the details, I will look into it tonight as I am starting my workday shortly and wont be online. Also be aware that I am not actually a "vendor" in the literal sense that a vendor sells something. I spend money hosting a website so I can give you information. It would take me little effort to sell climbing systems on my website. It's just not a priority for me. Getting everyones butt tied in is a priority. Instead, I spend countless hours developing intellectual property (that others would attempt to patent for profit) and I disclose it publicly for free for others to use, and potentially sell. Much of the content isn't even for me. I get called into chats like this and try to help. And when you do need to buy something, I direct you to where you can go to buy it at a discount. I have had multiple offers from companies who would provide me a way to make a significant commission by pushing their products but you pay full price. I said : No Thanks. I am only interested in deals if you guys get a discount. My motto is basically: I am fine with pennies earned with integrity instead of dollars selling gear. Bottom line is that I am not interested in earning any income if it comes with even a hint of a question on my integrity and motivation. Cheers.

Yes or no, now that you have a discount code with RNR, you also receive a small percentage when sales are made using your code? Yes or no also that you will recommend that others use their products? Are you demonstrating their products in your videos and showing people how to use them? If you are, then you are an affiliate of their brand and in my opinion you should be a vendor. If you didn’t receive some form of compensation for your videos, methods ect, you wouldn’t need to be an LLC

Back