• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Canoe Science!

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
So, my brain is telling me that the closer to centerline I can get the trolling motor prop, the more efficient it will be. Any merit to that? Based on that assumption, I'm trying to rig my motor up so that when deployed, the motor/prop is as close to directly under the canoe as I can get it.

Input from all welcome.
1b15d4e57b0251fb6f49a2fdf8e41762.jpg
8a41f840caf4ab2b2cdc0d556d6f2bc5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m not aware of different prop pitches for trolling motors. So only speed increase option is higher thrust lbs. which maxes at 55lb unless you go to 24volt

Rig looks good

Spencer

As far as centerline, it would prob make a slight difference in maneuverability but not sure if speed would change. Mine is set up like yours, off to side, same as my granddaddy had it.

Spencer

Anyone ever run a foot controlled bow mount off the front?

It will track better the closer to center you can get it...thats why they make square sterned canoes so you can mount it directly in the middle. I have a kayak with a side mounted trolling motor. It doesnt track straight so you have to keep a hand on the till to keep it straight or youll go in circles as I found out when I tried the setup out on lake michigans lil bay de noc.

Mount a second one on the other side and connect the tiller's. Might not help th speed a whole lot but it should straighten out the tracking. Could prolly even rig it up with some conduit and make pivoting bar for tilt and trim. ;)

Definitely more efficient to have the propulsion as close to the center line of the canoe as possible.
Same with paddling, if you want to go straight, you want the blade to go almost under the canoe with the paddle shaft vertical. The farther away from the centerline that the propulsion powers the boat, the more the turning influence is. With a motor, you are now pointing the props on an angle just to go straight.

Last edited:
I have a Ouchita 16' with a flat transom so I never thought of having to "offset" mount a trolling motor to it. A buddy of mine has a 7hp long tail mud motor I've been wanting to mount and see how well it works. I've even convinced my teenage son into piloting it when we do...lol!

I did some experimentings while out scouting today. Surprising finds. For some reason in my mind more surface area on the water the slower the Canoe would be. That is not true. By angling the The prop Of the trolling motor so that it lifts the back and sitting in the center of the Canoe so that the rear end is not drafting as much I gained half a mile an hour in speed! So, more Canoe that is touching the water but sitting higher in the water seemed to increase speed a bit

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Is it hard to control? Scary at all?
Not at all. I only use the foot control for fishing. I switch to a 2.5 Suzuki or paddle come hunting season. My canoe has a flat bottom and is very stable. it’s rated for about 900lbs. I’ve had two deer and a cousin on several occasions as well as some good sized pigs.

Back