• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Clandestine creek crossing system - who has ideas

MJH

SH Member
OK,
I have a public land spot that has a creek on it. I need to find a way to cross the creek, easily and quietly. Under normal water levels waders are not an option, it is too deep and too muddy. There are narrow spots that are maybe as tight as 15-17' wide.

I want to deploy a bridge of some kind that is stashed in the woods out there that can be moved into position when I need. Then easily removed and hidden again. I have a few ideas, but I am interested to hear about what other folks might have in mind.

• tiny inflatable boat
  • fake tree stand ladder bridge
  • movable dead fall bridge
  • stilts?
  • man up and strip down?
  • ??

Waders and an inner tube. I use the combo on a few beaver ponds and sloughs to retrieve ducks. As long as you don't have too much current, you should be golden.

100% effective for crossing
Not effective for concealment (unless I you are suggesting that I inflate/deflate the tube each time - I did not explicitly mention that this is a long hike and I don't want to haul the device in and out each time)

100% effective for crossing
Not effective for concealment (unless I you are suggesting that I inflate/deflate the tube each time - I did not explicitly mention that this is a long hike and I don't want to haul the device in and out each time)

With that said, waders + a couple of big pool noodles might do it. This is a small creek.

Tuck it in the bushes with the pump. They're cheap.

I don't know how you're going to hide a bridge or a small boat. I had a $50 craigslist pirogue once that I used in a similar manner, but it washed away in a flood. You're kinda looking to do the impossible if you don't want to tote anything and don't want to leave a footprint.

Tuck it in the bushes with the pump. They're cheap.

I don't know how you're going to hide a bridge or a small boat. I had a $50 craigslist pirogue once that I used in a similar manner, but it washed away in a flood. You're kinda looking to do the impossible if you don't want to tote anything and don't want to leave a footprint.

Hidden in the bushes with the pump could for sure work. It is a hell hole in there - hiding it won't be hard.

Asking the impossible - mmmm, I am not so sure.

I'm thinking Pole Vault. I haven't done it in at least 10 years, but I have used the method before. I don't think anyone would give a 15' - 20' long sapling laying next to the creek a second glance.

Is it 100% executable - no but you'll have a damn good story if you come up short. But I've done 10'+ before impromptu with a sapling. Adding 5' to that doesn't seem impossible.

Hidden in the bushes with the pump could for sure work. It is a hell hole in there - hiding it won't be hard.

Asking the impossible - mmmm, I am not so sure.
I'm not trying to be rude or shoot ya down. I live on a river and hunt a place that's more water than dry ground, so I've had to do exactly what you're trying to do many, many times. I've got knee boots, hip waders, chest waders, several small boats, and a Jon. Waders and an inner tube get you over that mama bear water. Too deep/wide to wade, and too small to make a boat work.

I'm all ears if any one comes up with something better.

I'm thinking Pole Vault. I haven't done it in at least 10 years, but I have used the method before. I don't think anyone would give a 15' - 20' long sapling laying next to the creek a second glance.

Is it 100% executable - no but you'll have a damn good story if you come up short. But I've done 10'+ before impromptu with a sapling. Adding 5' to that doesn't seem impossible.

I honestly think this is feasible. I have visions of the pole breaking sending me into the drink - but I like it.
85% effective for crossing (I have to put some blow out factor into it)
110% effective for concealment

Coming back to reality now has be considering my pack, bow etc. I'll also need to stick the landing...

I'm not trying to be rude or shoot ya down. I live on a river and hunt a place that's more water than dry ground, so I've had to do exactly what you're trying to do many, many times. I've got knee boots, hip waders, chest waders, several small boats, and a Jon. Waders and an inner tube get you over that mama bear water. Too deep/wide to wade, and too small to make a boat work.

I'm all ears if any one comes up with something better.

You aren't being rude. I am looking for advice I can work with.

I’ve done this route and for the price who cares if it’s gets stolen...as long as you’re not on the wrong side when if it does. I only use this if going directly across the waterbody. It’s not something you want to traverse a creek with.

e5cec9dd9bfc31f659da87f1413d482a.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Ex...7yLqjvgXNXB6f3zwAVErX0KtdeHEi3JhoCyO4QAvD_BwE

And if you don’t mind spending a few dollars here is an option that I have upgraded to. Should be arriving on my door step any day now. Its 30lbs but foldable, meaning I can bring it in on my deer cart if I have to.

https://foldupkayaks.com/products/f...yn-hD5exuFu6gKwkHQoIc5tPpbXj-UeUaArn9EALw_wcB

I’ve done this route and for the price who cares if it’s gets stolen...as long as you’re not on the wrong side when if it does. I only use this if going directly across the waterbody. It’s not something you want to traverse a creek with.

e5cec9dd9bfc31f659da87f1413d482a.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Ex...7yLqjvgXNXB6f3zwAVErX0KtdeHEi3JhoCyO4QAvD_BwE

And if you don’t mind spending a few dollars here is an option that I have upgraded to. Should be arriving on my door step any day now. Its 30lbs but foldable, meaning I can bring it in on my deer cart if I have to.

https://foldupkayaks.com/products/f...yn-hD5exuFu6gKwkHQoIc5tPpbXj-UeUaArn9EALw_wcB
Let me know how you like that thing after you take it out. I've looked at them. The inner tube and wader combo works, but this would be better for the big ponds.

Or a dog. Dogs are great at getting birds out of beaver ponds. I need a dog.

Let me know how you like that thing after you take it out. I've looked at them. The inner tube and wader combo works, but this would be better for the big ponds.

Or a dog. Dogs are great at getting birds out of beaver ponds. I need a dog.

As an owner of two labs, I can assure you the folding kayak is cheaper.

Back