• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climb Time and Height

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Just curious to see how many "feet per second" most people were climbing. I'm going back and forth between WE Stepps and LW minis with an aider, and I'm finding that no matter how many practice climbs I make I struggle to hit 25ft in less than 10 minutes with the stepps. That's the time from when I decide, "Yeah, that's the tree." to the time my bow and pack are hanging on the tree and I am ready to hunt. 12 seems to be my best number without undue haste and noise.

I like a to time myself, because to climb fast you have to iron out the kinks and eliminate the "fiddle." Tangled ropes, stuck zippers, misplaced essentials, etc.

Also, when you go in blind, it is easy to waste time finding the perfect tree. 5 minutes seems like an eternity when the sweat is dripping down your eyes, the skeeters are biting, and daylight is coming. A fast and smooth setup just starts me out on a good footing.

Please detail the gear used, the distance usually achieved, the time, and any tips and tricks you use to get the work done so the fun can begin.

Ready...set...GO!

Just curious to see how many "feet per second" most people were climbing. I'm going back and forth between WE Stepps and LW minis with an aider, and I'm finding that no matter how many practice climbs I make I struggle to hit 25ft in less than 10 minutes with the stepps. That's the time from when I decide, "Yeah, that's the tree." to the time my bow and pack are hanging on the tree and I am ready to hunt. 12 seems to be my best number without undue haste and noise.

I like a to time myself, because to climb fast you have to iron out the kinks and eliminate the "fiddle." Tangled ropes, stuck zippers, misplaced essentials, etc.

Also, when you go in blind, it is easy to waste time finding the perfect tree. 5 minutes seems like an eternity when the sweat is dripping down your eyes, the skeeters are biting, and daylight is coming. A fast and smooth setup just starts me out on a good footing.

Please detail the gear used, the distance usually achieved, the time, and any tips and tricks you use to get the work done so the fun can begin.

Ready...set...GO!

My first time climbing today with my spurs and all my gear except my bow. It took me 15 minutes from the base of tree to ready to hunt. I picked the Nastiest tree I could fin, had to go around a lot of branches so I can only hope my time will get better with practice. I tried to be as quite as I could and it went well. With practice I hope it will only get better. I repelled down which seems to me to be the best way but you do have to haul around all that extra rope. But for me I haul a backpack for my camera arm and camera so no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first time climbing today with my spurs and all my gear except my bow. It took me 15 minutes from the base of tree to ready to hunt. I picked the Nastiest tree I could fin, had to go around a lot of branches so I can only hope my time will get better with practice. I tried to be as quite as I could and it went well. With practice I hope it will only get better. I repelled down which seems to me to be the best way but you do have to haul around all that extra rope. But for me I haul a backpack for my camera arm and camera so no big deal.

091914e3418d1b59cb1c9895d34b1350.jpg

25ft all set up in ten minutes is great time. You aren't going to do much better unless you are using presets, predrilled holes and bolts or climbing spikes I imagine.

Dressedtokill, how much do you have in your Spurs? I'm about ready to tell Mr. Green-Jeans where he can go with that "No harming trees" line. I don't make a habit of climbing the same tree twice, and if all the hurricanes can't kill the trees, I doubt I can. I miss being able to climb as high as I wanted back when I had my climber.

Ive generally been 8-10 mins to 25ft+ That's 4 minis, and 4 cranford strap steps, plus hanging my stand and setting up gear. I use a 3rd hand bow holder so that's on the stand, backpack hung from biner on tree strap. Lone wolf hand climber is a little faster when I use it...but trees become limiting.

Dressedtokill, how much do you have in your Spurs? I'm about ready to tell Mr. Green-Jeans where he can go with that "No harming trees" line. I don't make a habit of climbing the same tree twice, and if all the hurricanes can't kill the trees, I doubt I can. I miss being able to climb as high as I wanted back when I had my climber.

I got a nice set of geckos and they came highly recommend from some tree service friends. I have about 390 in them but well worth it. I don’t hunt the same tree much and when I do I will use my hand climber top. I can see where my spurs “Might” hurt a tree and I try to do the least damage as possible but what about a bull dozer? What about a logger? What about a wood pecker? Can they all not all “might” hurt a tree? I repel down so I’m only use my spurs in one direction.

I generally dont mind taking 10 or 15 minutes plus, although I could probably do less than 5 on a good tree. I always wake up early enough to take my time. In the rut afternoon hunts I occasionally feel like I need to scurry up a tree not to miss anything so I get the feeling. I try to be as deliberate as possible and always dead silent. Stop and listen as I go, ready to shoot if needed. Its not uncommon for guys to shoot deer while climbing although I never have. I've climbed quite a few times with deer less than 50 yards away and I try to imagine that every time I climb. Nice careful movements.

It’s all about what you are happy with. The wild edge system works great for me. I wouldn’t consider 12 minutes from that tree looks good to being ready to shoot to be a terrible time regardless of your climbing method. It isn’t a race for me. If I’m going in blind it is usually breaking light before I am climbing a tree. I’m interested to see where the quest for a 1.3 pound stick will go but guys bending steps hanging 250 lbs off of them isn’t very appealing to me. I need to be able to hang 300 lbs and be able to bounce a little. If you aren’t using an aider with your wild edge stepps consider it. That saves time and weight. What kind of times are you getting with your mini sticks and how many does it take to get to 25’.

It’s all about what you are happy with. The wild edge system works great for me. I wouldn’t consider 12 minutes from that tree looks good to being ready to shoot to be a terrible time regardless of your climbing method. It isn’t a race for me. If I’m going in blind it is usually breaking light before I am climbing a tree. I’m interested to see where the quest for a 1.3 pound stick will go but guys bending steps hanging 250 lbs off of them isn’t very appealing to me. I need to be able to hang 300 lbs and be able to bounce a little. If you aren’t using an aider with your wild edge stepps consider it. That saves time and weight. What kind of times are you getting with your mini sticks and how many does it take to get to 25’.
If you shorten a stick to even 16 inches and do things to keep it very strong... you can climb to 25 feet with 3 sticks and a 6 step aider and be under 5 pounds. I am not sure that we want 1.3 pound sticks unless they are really strong... that I agree with.
Some people hate aiders and some do not. I have not given up on WE steps but I am leaning to shorter more packable light strong sticks and multi step aiders which I used all last year.
I wish I could use spurs in more places. That and presets with bolts are the best for sure.

I've never personally used the WE stepps but looking at the weight of them or 3 climbing sticks its pretty comparable. I usually pack 4 lonewolf sticks with 1 aider and can get to around 30 ft. 4 straps to put on. Around 10 minutes to be settled in.

With my spikes I am usually up the tree in less than two minutes unless I know for sure there’s deer bedded under 60 yards then I slow way down. I timed myself last weekend just climbing for fun and hit over 30’ in 21 seconds. Obviously I wouldn’t climb that fast hunting but it gives you an idea on how fast it can be. With sticks I’d guess I’m in the 8-10min range.

With my spikes I am usually up the tree in less than two minutes unless I know for sure there’s deer bedded under 60 yards then I slow way down. I timed myself last weekend just climbing for fun and hit over 30’ in 21 seconds. Obviously I wouldn’t climb that fast hunting but it gives you an idea on how fast it can be. With sticks I’d guess I’m in the 8-10min range.

I just ordered spikes should be here today. Then its PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Spikes are the fastest mobile option. Period. No question. No debate...And it's not even close. 3-4 minutes from ground to 25 feet will get you a nice, slow, quiet, easy pace. If you aren't concerned with a deer spotting you, 1-2 minutes from womb to tomb is easy.

Taking your time and ensuring slow methodical movements with any other method (sticks, ladders, steps, etc) will put in the 8-15 minute range once you're practiced with it. 5-10 minutes if you're motoring.

@Boudreaux has a video using 4 muddy sticks to get to about 18' in just under 3 minutes. He's going fast and not concerned with noise or movement. However, he could slow down and be really quiet if he needed to. I'd guess he could probably do it in 5-7 minutes setting up on a buck bed. But that's only 18ish feet. So call it 6-8 minutes to 25', once your system is as good as his, on a perfect, easy tree.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

This is not a race to get up a tree. The idea should be to get up in the tree as safe and quiet as one can. Personally I do not care how long it takes me. I am going to make sure I can setup quietly and safely regardless of time.

I agree it is not a race. But if you could safely and quietly climb a tree in 10 minutes or 20, which would you choose to do?

It's kind of like saddle rig weight. Ceterus paribus, lighter and faster is mo'better.

G2, I'm thinking I see Spurs are in my future. As far as Mr. Boswell, I hope I'll be that fast one day. My goal for the summer is a system that fits in a small backpack, weighs less than 10lbs, and can hit 25ft in 10 minutes. I really like the stepps, but the speed just isn't there. Even with an Aider, I'm still setting 2 ropes for every 1 strap.

May sell them and the Kestrel and go to modified mini's and Aider, Ameristeps platform, and ripstop saddle with rc harness.

Last edited:
I've never personally used the WE stepps but looking at the weight of them or 3 climbing sticks its pretty comparable. I usually pack 4 lonewolf sticks with 1 aider and can get to around 30 ft. 4 straps to put on. Around 10 minutes to be settled in.
The weight of eight wild edge stepps is comparable to three lone wolf sticks. But that weight is my climbing system and platform. It’s slow and tedious. It has a learning curve. For me being able to carry something that is relatively lightweight that I can stand on with two feet is worth the few minutes of extra time on the side of the tree. I haven’t weighed my climb rite aluminum spurs with ultralight pads but wesspur advertises them at under 6lbs per pair. Add a platform and we are close to my 8 wild edge steps that are slow and tedious. It’s all about a balance of what you are willing to give up and what you are willing to pay. The only way to know for sure is buy them all and try them. I have a set of three lone wolf sticks like new that I will trade for a set of stepps if you decide you don’t like them.

For me, speed is important. Why? Because if it's the difference between 5 minutes or 12 minutes in the back yard, it's no big deal. But in reality in the woods like guys have said, movements are generally slower and more deliberate, and I also sometimes spend 5-10 minutes on the ground visualizing where to sit in which tree for a run and gun sit. If it's before first light, unseen branches or leaning tree sections always cause slow downs. Tack on camera setup time, and that 5 vs 12 minute comparison might turn into a realistic 20min vs 40 min. And that does start to get significant, for me. Especially when I'm cutting it close driving through rush hour after work, or running behind in the morning because I hit snooze one too many times or didn't realize I needed gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For me, speed is important. Why? Because if it's the difference between 5 minutes or 12 minutes in the back yard, it's no big deal. But in reality in the woods like guys have said, movements are generally slower and more deliberate, and I also sometimes spend 5-10 minutes on the ground visualizing where to sit in which tree for a run and gun sit. If it's before first light, unseen branches or leaning tree sections always cause slow downs. Tack on camera setup time, and that 5 vs 12 minute comparison might turn into a realistic 20min vs 40 min. And that does start to get significant, for me. Especially when I'm cutting it close driving through rush hour after work, or running behind in the morning because I hit snooze one too many times or didn't realize I needed gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I like fast legal and quiet and packable... and light. For this year it will be likely short light sticks with cam cleats and and adjustable aider or a six step aider. Ameristeps and maybe the new saddlehunter platform or a Klemz style.
I keep trying different thing but keep coming back to sticks and aiders.

I got some of those EonPow things to play with too. I bought spikes before I realized I could not use them most of the places I hunt so I sold them.
I love bolts and presets at home... I save those spots when time is tight. They are great but I cannot ;use them everywhere

Back